2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I'm Starting To Dislike my Fit!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
I've hated my Fit since about the first month of ownership, reliability is nice but very boring.

But everything about this car is boring in my mind.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by Sloppy_Snood
I recommend that you evaluate "most bang for your buck" upgrades/modifications:
  • window tints
  • Magnefine in-line transmission filter upgrade
  • Sound dampening materials to reduce interior cabin noise
  • LED lamp upgrades for the interior light and trunk light
  • Projector lenses and bi-xenon headlight retrofit
Unless you are a ricer, these are a nice place to start IMO.
Actually adding sound deadening material to reduce cabin noise sounds like a project worth doing.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by wetphoto
Get a KIA, you will be forever busy fixing it.
Honestly I wouldn't want to be caught dead in one of those!!! Hell no

Old 12-27-2012, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
^I'd rather drive a new Optima than a Fit at this point.

Dat 6MT I4T.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
^^And with a 10yr/100k warranty, most any fixing would be done by the dealer.

You want a car to keep you busy.. get a DSM that has been owned by a couple teenagers.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
If you WANT a car that's going to break down, the Fit is not the car for you. I mean honestly, ANY new car is going to be pretty reliable. You need to buy something older if you want it to break down on a regular basis. Go find a 1989 CRX. Mega fun, old enough to require a watchful eye on the fuel pump and CV joints.

You mean a 1988 Hyundai Excel haha, now those things were unreliable piece of shits.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
You want a car to keep you busy.. get a DSM that has been owned by a couple teenagers.
sigworthy material right there.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 PM
There's a car for you. They're addictive, but...

S omething
A lmost
A lways
B roken

Great cars for puzzle fans.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitsMePerfect
I am seriously considering that option at this point. I'm not into American muscle cars but would buy a Mercedes or BMW from 1980's and work it back into original condition.
How much money do you have?

Old 01-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Get used to it. I ran a 1980 Honda Civic 1.3L CVCC, 3-door hatch 5-speed manual, 180,000 miles and in that time only gave it batteries, tires, fluid and filter changes, two sets of front brake pads and a carb rebuild. At 180k, sold it with original clutch, original rear brakes, original timing belt. Overall average MPG was 61.

'91 Civic LX purchased at 120k miles, fought a leaky trunk for a year, then got a job change and sold the car. Previous owner had reported only battery and tire changes. This one had an automatic which made it very slow, but still got nearly 40MPG while I had it.

Didn't own a Honda for a while until a 1997 Civic LX sedan 5spd manual. Ran that one to just over 200K miles and it died in a crash. Same as the '80, I'd changed front brake pads, tires, wiper blades, batteries and fluids, nothing else. Original clutch, even, over 200k miles. Well, the trunk started leaking water, that's something Honda learned to do about 1990 and hasn't stopped...a rare weak spot. Avg MPG 38.

My ride is now a '98 Acura Integra base (Civic with upgraded suspension and engine), purchased used from original owner. He changed clutch at 150k, brake pads on front once, and otherwise did routine maint. Car is now at 194k miles and all I'm dealing with is yet another leaky Honda trunk. Avg MPG for me about 32 and I drive it like heck. I LIKE 0-60 in 7.5 seconds and 0.84g on the skidpad! My first Honda that performs.

We recently got a 2009 Fit Sport Automatic from the estate of a family member. 15,000miles when we got it, but we immediately drove 5,000 miles x-country to get it home. MPG average not impressive at 32 highway, but we expect it'll be as reliable as the rest. Came with an add-on warranty covering it to 120k miles and 12 total years, but we expect to never need it. Very sluggish car, MPG not what we'd like, but it sure can carry a lot of stuff, and the wife doesn't drive enough miles for the MPG to be a big problem. Very flat cornering, but no feel in the steering wheel, so it's not really very "sporty". If I were to do anything, I'd want to add some way to control the trans and torque converter better, and dramatically reduce the amount of boost in the power steering. But I probably won't because it's not my daily driver.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wetphoto
Get a KIA, you will be forever busy fixing it.
maybe a daewoo...

Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Buy old Hondas with blown head gaskets or other issues that people don't want to deal with.

$800 for Civic with blown head gasket, $100 to fix + your time, sell for $3,000.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
You mean a 1988 Hyundai Excel haha, now those things were unreliable piece of shits.
I was going more for slightly unreliable, yet fun. The Excel would be completely unreliable, and completely unfun. Those things should all be crushed. Preferably at the factory prior to sale, just to save us the trouble.

Old German cars don't actually break that often, but any time they do, it's time to dig into your retirement savings. You spend months fearing expensive malfunctions; that got to me after a while and I decided it was not actually a fun hobby (but you can try it, and if you see a really used 300CE in white, maybe it was the one i owned).

Fix Or Replace Daily
Fix It Again, Tony
Hang On - Not Done Accelerating

Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
I was going more for slightly unreliable, yet fun. The Excel would be completely unreliable, and completely unfun. Those things should all be crushed. Preferably at the factory prior to sale, just to save us the trouble.

Old German cars don't actually break that often, but any time they do, it's time to dig into your retirement savings. You spend months fearing expensive malfunctions; that got to me after a while and I decided it was not actually a fun hobby (but you can try it, and if you see a really used 300CE in white, maybe it was the one i owned).

Fix Or Replace Daily
Fix It Again, Tony
Hang On - Not Done Accelerating
My last "serious fun" car was a modded Audi 200 turbo quattro. chipped it to remove the boost limit, did 0-60 in about six seconds, and I could STILL get 30-32 MPG on the highway with it. At 160k miles, I was tired of fixing it. Steering racks, second oil coolers, expensive turbo hoses, plastic radiators with too-short hoses, power door locking system, after-run coolant pumps - these are all things that failed twice or more. It wasn't just a matter of paying for repairs, but eventually, I didn't trust it enough to take it on a road trip.

My Tegger doesn't accelerate or corner like the Audi, but it's been a whole lot more reliable.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by FitNoobee
My last "serious fun" car was a modded Audi 200 turbo quattro. chipped it to remove the boost limit, did 0-60 in about six seconds, and I could STILL get 30-32 MPG on the highway with it. At 160k miles, I was tired of fixing it. Steering racks, second oil coolers, expensive turbo hoses, plastic radiators with too-short hoses, power door locking system, after-run coolant pumps - these are all things that failed twice or more. It wasn't just a matter of paying for repairs, but eventually, I didn't trust it enough to take it on a road trip.

My Tegger doesn't accelerate or corner like the Audi, but it's been a whole lot more reliable.
I love Audi 200 Turbo Quatrro. I was actually looking for one and when I find one it's mine.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
autox it and tinker with the suspension bits

Old 01-08-2013, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Buy a Harley-Davidson. That's what I spend all my free time fixing. Mine is 20 years old and has 178,000 miles on it, so something always needs to be fixed. And, since there is no computer or fuel injection, it's easy to work on.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 01-08-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by FitsMePerfect
I am one of those guys whose idea of a great time is a weekend working on my car getting my hands dirty. Before buying my Fit I mostly had American cars and I was always fixing up something on them. Before my Fit I have never owned a Japanese and the problem I'm having is a garage full of tools and a Fit that never breaks down. I had my Fit for over 2 years and in that time I did 36,xxx miles and I only changed my oil and filter 3 times. Don't get me wrong I love my Fit Sport but nothing ever goes wrong on it and I don't know what to do with my weekends.
that's dumb. i drive an 08 fit and like it enough but go ahead and grab a newer focus, cruz, sonic, dart, ect. and yeah. honda and toyota have dropped big time in satisfaction and interior/exterior design. not to mention hundai who is stealing their lunch.

it's parity now. buy what you like. make doesn't matter much on the low end. now a mercedes may still dive at 40k or something but nothing from the top 5 or 6 makers will leave you stranded unless you get a lemon.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:49 AM
OOOH...LET ME HELP U.I COME TO OLD TEXAS AND U GIVE ME YOUR FITI.I SWEAR,AFTER MY TLC,U HAVE A LOT TO DO.