2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How slippery is the weathertech liner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
How slippery is the weathertech liner?

Hi Weathertech liner owners, would like to know your comments on the material and how slippery it is when wet.

Is it more like a vinyl/hardplastic which gets slippery despite the texture (especially when wet)

Or is it more like rubber, like your tire or the bottom of a sneaker, which will grip even when wet.

Or something else entirely?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
Hi Weathertech liner owners, would like to know your comments on the material and how slippery it is when wet.

Is it more like a vinyl/hardplastic which gets slippery despite the texture (especially when wet)

Or is it more like rubber, like your tire or the bottom of a sneaker, which will grip even when wet.

Or something else entirely?
It's more like a semi-hard plastic. It is slippery, but I always put a non-slip rubber mesh thing on mine. This gives you the best of both worlds -- it catches any spills and things don't slip around.

However, IMHO, it's the Weathertech floor mats that are really worth the money. They're amazing ... way way way better than anything else out there.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spitfire
However, IMHO, it's the Weathertech floor mats that are really worth the money. They're amazing ... way way way better than anything else out there.
OK, so the mats are rubber-like and non-slip?

is this the right one?
2009 Honda Fit | All-Weather Car Floor Mats by WeatherTech - traps water, road salt, mud and sand | WeatherTech.com

Old 12-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Banned
Your link shows the mats. WeatherTech floor liners are different. They go up about 1-1/2" all around the floor pans like a shallow bucket. I'm sure that they are made of the exact same kind of plastic as the mats. The floor liners provide a lot more protection of the carpeted floor of the car. I don't find my floor liners to be slippery, but I wear high traction shoes/boots.

The big complaint about the floor liners has been the fact that they tend to bend inward from the sides under the doors and leave a gap. I cured the gap by installing a high traction dead pedal cover from Zeta Products. The gap is actually caused by your left foot pushing the floor liner upward on the slippery dead pedal rubber covering. With the metal dead pedal cover from Zeta, there is too much friction for the floor liner to slip upward on the stock dead pedal (on GE8's) to create the gap.

Even with the gap under the doors, the floor liners hold so much liquid (for those in the snow belt) that they protect the floor MUCH better than any flat mat. I don't mind the minor problems with the floor liners and don't regret buying them. But, there is another thread on the forums about another brand of liners that look pretty good at an affordable price (I just don't remember the brand name).

Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply triskelion. The link was in response to Spitfire who also made the distinction between liner and mat, but commented that he thinks the mats are really good

Last edited by raytseng; 12-05-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
The mats are fairly sticky. You won't find your boots or the mats sliding around.

I actually thing the mats hold more liquid than the liners, because the liners are basically a flat pan while the mats have a deep pattern throughout. But either is going to be a good product.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:39 AM
5 Year Member
The floorliners will do a far better job of protecting your interior. Here in Canada we trek a lot of slush etc. into our cars in winter -- the floorliners do an amazing job whereas the rubber mats wouldn't.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member
The floorliners will do a far better job of protecting your interior. Here in Canada we trek a lot of slush etc. into our cars in winter -- the floorliners do an amazing job whereas the rubber mats wouldn't.
Where did you get yours and cost?

I have more or less kept mine in good shape with lots of salt remover/scrubbing in the Spring.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Where did you get yours and cost?

I have more or less kept mine in good shape with lots of salt remover/scrubbing in the Spring.
I buy mine direct from Weathertech. There aren't any deals to be had one their products as far as I know. If memory serves me right, it's about $100 for the front pair and $70 for the rear piece.

I've had Weathertech in 4 different cars and wouldn't use anything else.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
I bought mine from H&A Honda accessories, they are slightly less as shipping is free.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
I bought mine from H&A Honda accessories, they are slightly less as shipping is free.
I think Weathertech also do free shipping.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Just curious why you aren't considering the factory accessories? The all season floor mats and cargo tray I installed in my 2013 are excellent.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
I think Weathertech also do free shipping.
they were still less- I bought fronts only and paid $90 I think at Weathertech they were $117

Old 12-06-2012, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mrnoyb
Just curious why you aren't considering the factory accessories? The all season floor mats and cargo tray I installed in my 2013 are excellent.
... but nowhere near as good as the Weathertech floor mats if you have a whole winter of snow and ice and slush and salt.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
... but nowhere near as good as the Weathertech floor mats if you have a whole winter of snow and ice and slush and salt.
I have the Honda ones and don't hold a lot of water once the snow melts.

I see Parts Source is selling them here. I may just order through them. Otherwise will be dinged by UPS to ship here.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:40 PM
i bought the honda OEMs from college hill and they fucking suck. they barely cover any thing, the passenger side mat constantly moves up leaving the floor exposed and the rears arent much better. i bought weather techs for my wifes CRV and they cover every last inch of the floor with a perfect fit and no movement. i wish someone would buy my shitty fit OEMs.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Banned
For the OP and other readers of this thread, if you are considering the purchase of WeatherTech Floor Liners, fitfreak member mhadden has sold his Fit and is now selling a "like new" set of front and rear floor liners at a really nice price. But he is advertising on other forums in addition to this one. If I didn't already have these in my fit, I would buy his. At his price, they won't be on his hands for very long.