2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Sound deadening on 2012+ models

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Sound deadening on 2012+ models

I believe the 2012+ models were installed with additional sound deadening materials, no?

Anyone have experience with how effective it is? I'm looking at used 2010s and new 2013s and not sure if the sound deadening is worth it. So is it noticeable? How does it compare to other compact cars?

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, the 2012+ models do have extra sound deadening materials. I believe the small quarter side windows at the front are made of thicker glass and they added sound insulation to the front wheel wells and other areas.

Before I bought my 2012 model I test drove a 2009 and there was a noticeable difference in road noise between the two. I drove a 2002 Civic Coupe for about 5 years before getting my Fit and the road noise was very loud in that car, so it was an important factor. It wasn't hard for me to decide to buy a new 2012 model over a used one. Plus Fit's hold their value so well that you really aren't going to save that much buying used. The 2012's and up also added standard stability control, stearing wheel mounted audio controls on the sport, and a couple of other nicety's.

-Dustin

Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
Yes, the 2012+ models do have extra sound deadening materials. I believe the small quarter side windows at the front are made of thicker glass and they added sound insulation to the front wheel wells and other areas.

Before I bought my 2012 model I test drove a 2009 and there was a noticeable difference in road noise between the two. I drove a 2002 Civic Coupe for about 5 years before getting my Fit and the road noise was very loud in that car, so it was an important factor. It wasn't hard for me to decide to buy a new 2012 model over a used one. Plus Fit's hold their value so well that you really aren't going to save that much buying used. The 2012's and up also added standard stability control, stearing wheel mounted audio controls on the sport, and a couple of other nicety's.

-Dustin
Great stuff! Love this forum.

Anyone know how the 2012-2013 fit compares to other compact cars in terms of road noise? I recently test drove the Mazda 3 and it was almost deafening on the highway.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Lightbulb

Just go buy some Alpha Damp or Dynamat Extreme and apply.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:00 PM
I test drove my buddy's 2010 FIT and then bought my 2012 FIT. The road noise is noticeably lower than the 2010 - one of the first things i noticed. However, I still plan on starting a sound proofing project this coming spring/summer. City speeds you dont notice the noise, but highway speeds its very noticeable (aside from the engine noise).

I test drove a lot of compact cars prior to buying this. Road noise is actually pretty loud compared to other compacts - Hyundai Accent SE, Chevy Cruz, Chevy Sonic, Focus. But the 2014 Models will probably put Honda FIT ahead of the pack again.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
The 2012 Fit is acceptable. I wouldn't want it to be any louder! I expect to get what I pay for in a car, and for $19,000 I expect it won't beat me up too much but it won't be hugely comfortable either. Given that it provides an acceptable, not-unbearable level of refinement, and all the other great points of the car for not very much money, I am happy with it

I have driven other compacts and they're all loud. Perception has a lot to do with it; you'd need to measure. Check out C&D reviews; they do decibel tests at idle, full throttle, and 70mph (the latter being really what you care about).

Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Another thing to mention is that, by all accounts, the stock Dunlop tires are very noisy and just about anything you replace them with will be quieter. I look forward to finding out just how much quieter once I wear mine out and have to replace them. I'll be going to a wider 205/50/R16 tire size at that time for better handling and looks.

-Dustin

Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 PM
I have a 2012 Fit Sport and I honestly think it does not have any sound insulation in it at all. I've had many cars and none have come close to the road noise I get with the Fit. On the bright side, the excessive road noise is one of the very few things I don't like about the Fit. It's really a nice little car.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
One shouldn't have to finish assembly of the car oneself. But tires are a direct cost to the manufacturer and would raise the price of the car, and I'm sure the priorities go something like cost > rolling resistance > treadwear > noise. :/ Oh well.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Angry Best noise reduction mod for least effort and cost

Another thing to mention is that, by all accounts, the stock Dunlop tires are very noisy and just about anything you replace them with will be quieter. I look forward to finding out just how much quieter once I wear mine out and have to replace them. I'll be going to a wider 205/50/R16 tire size at that time for better handling and looks.

-Dustin
I would like to reduce noise, but I expect 30000 miles so it will be a long time before new tires. Those of you that have added soundproofing material where did it seem to give the most improvement? I'm not ready to remove the entire interior as some have shown on this forum, the noise is not that bad.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DaveFL
I would like to reduce noise, but I expect 30000 miles so it will be a long time before new tires. Those of you that have added soundproofing material where did it seem to give the most improvement? I'm not ready to remove the entire interior as some have shown on this forum, the noise is not that bad.
I have no affiliation with any company but edouble101 at diy mobile audio forum put a decent install and review of the Alpha Damp product.

You really only need to install deadener in specific areas for best results and saving time. Ask a Dynamat or other product dealer and they will want you to place deadener EVERYWHERE (because they want to sell you more than you need ).

I will be doing this in the next 6 months or so and will try to put something together to demonstrate and "How To" this kind of installation.

Last edited by Sloppy_Snood; 12-04-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:59 PM

Helps out buttloads, now I just need to get some coverage up front. The back is silent. Getting the headliner down would be cool beans too

Im still hunting for pictures, here is the back hatch

If you have any questions, Ive been through more than one fit with interior removal. It is not necessary to cover everything with deadener, just the weak parts. Even so I use multiple layers sometimes. It depends what you want out of it though. I do SQ competitions so I added until the panel resonance was below the speaker's range. The doors have less than the back hatch.

Last edited by pouncer11; 12-04-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sloppy_Snood
I have no affiliation with any company but edouble101 at diy mobile audio forum put a decent install and review of theAlpha Damp product.

Share or embed this video - YouTube

Share or embed this video - YouTube

You really only need to install deadener in specific areas for best results...

I will be doing this in the next 6 months or so and will try to put something together to demonstrate and "How To" this kind of installation.
Everybody would benefit from your DIY, as long as you are doing it over 6 month span maybe you could determine which section made the most difference.

For the person saying there is no sound reduction installed from factory, I disagree, I have found a little spray on between the spare wheel well and the back wheel. I found a couple pads under the dash that looked like filter material. Haven't found any high density vinyl or lead pads but haven't taken the doors apart or carpets out, yet.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Everybody would benefit from your DIY, as long as you are doing it over 6 month span maybe you could determine which section made the most difference.

For the person saying there is no sound reduction installed from factory, I disagree, I have found a little spray on between the spare wheel well and the back wheel. I found a couple pads under the dash that looked like filter material. Haven't found any high density vinyl or lead pads but haven't taken the doors apart or carpets out, yet.

You can see in the photo with my rear wheel wells exposed there is factory deadener. It is no bueno. There are also carpet liner pads up front like you said. IIRC the doors also have one tiny piece of deadener on them.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM

The amount of sound deadening you found doesn't amount to shit. It's pitiful. Shame on Honda for this.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by david223
The amount of sound deadening you found doesn't amount to shit. It's pitiful. Shame on Honda for this.
Oh I know I drive on chip n seal roads a lot >_<

I find it most ridiculous that they would leave the engine bay so exposed. That is most everyone's complaint. I realize single cams are loud and that the gears are short, but COME ON. I am gonna try and get some AT deadener on it before I take my trip this weekend.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
If they make it too good, no one would buy the Civic :P

Old 12-06-2012, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member

-Dustin
I agree with you here. My Michelin Destiny tires are much quieter.

Have you thought about selling your stock tires and getting quieter ones? You'll spend maybe $3-400 extra for new tires, but it was worth it for me to have something that not only quieted down the noise, but will last much longer than 30k miles. So in essence, the price gap goes down by half (I usually get 60k out of Michelins).

Originally Posted by david223
C'mon, folks. Step back and focus on what this car is about. I would think the list of priorities at Honda would be something like:
1. Reliability
2. Safety
3. MPG
4. Functionality
49. 0-60 performance
50. Sound deadening

Old Civics and CRX's were set up exactly the same. It just isn't a big priority in this market segment. Test drive a Fiesta, Aveo/Sonic, etc. All about the same amount of sound deadening (about zero).

Good news is, there are plenty of good options to take care of this vs. years ago when the only source was expensive Dynamat.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by p nut
list of priorities at Honda would be something like:
1. Reliability
2. Safety
3. MPG
4. Functionality
49. 0-60 performance
50. Sound deadening

Good news is, there are plenty of good options to take care of this vs. years ago when the only source was expensive Dynamat.
I agree with you in that Honda's priorities might not be every bodies, but my preferences for sound is somewhere between 4 and 49, right now I have taken care of the hair magnet seats by covering. the angle of seat to gas pedal, the lack of spring tension on gas pedal, replaced all interior reading lights and cargo area with high output led's, and reflective glare from dash on windshield. All relatively cheap and easy fixes. By the way none of these design problems were apparent before purchase and this great forum has many owners providing answers to those looking for solutions. If I didn't like the car and the rest of Honda's priorities I wouldn't have bought it.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
my mother in law drives a toyota versu and i feel its louder then the fit and she got a nice one with factory upgrade sounds and nav and 2 moon roof

Quick Reply: Sound deadening on 2012+ models