2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Has anyone used a Fram Sure Drain on a GE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Has anyone used a Fram Sure Drain on a GE?

I have a 2010 Fit. I used the Fram Sure Drain (no longer manufactured, but still available on the internet) on my prior car and liked it.

According to what I've seen the oil drain plug is 14mm X 1.5mm, which would be the SD2 model Sure Drain. But when I pull up the 2010 Fit on some of the sites selling the Sure Drain it says not compatible.

Anybody tried one? I'm wondering whether it just doesn't show because they stopped making it by 2010, or whether it doesn't fit because of the shape of the oil pan.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
what is the thread specs on the fumoto valve? maybe compare with that? or just get the fumoto valve.....

Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
The Fumoto shows the 14 X 1.5 which would be a Fram SD2 but there are other issues with fitting it- maybe it protrudes into the pan too far or sticks up in such a way that it might not be able to be screwed into the hole.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
i use the regular plug that came with the car on all my cars. works great.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
Gee, wish I'd thought of that.

The quick drains are nicer to use, no getting dirty.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Gee, wish I'd thought of that.

The quick drains are nicer to use, no getting dirty.
no dirty when i do oil changes....

and unless you're tracking your car... how many times a year you going to do your oil change? like what, once or twice? that is just unbearable!! jk (just reality check).

Old 11-08-2012, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Twice, on average.

Oil on hands, the occasional dropping plug into the oil drain pan, etc.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Banned
IMO, get the Fumoto valve. Works great on my '09 GE, and gives exactly the advantages that you liked with the Fram. I had the Fram drain on my truck, liked it, but like the Fumoto valve on the Fit better. The valve also helps to keep inept service people from losing, forgetting, tightening too loose/too tight, or cross-threading your drain plug (for those who trust oil changes to other people). The best advantage of the Fumoto valve is, once it is installed, it never needs to be loosened or removed.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Twice, on average.

Oil on hands, the occasional dropping plug into the oil drain pan, etc.
i usually do 4-6 oil changes per year on my 4 cars. i dont do the valves but as trisk mentione above, how about the fumoto valve?

i just wear disposable gloves and rarely drop the plug in the drain pan...actually i cant remember if i ever did drop it.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Just ordered valves for both our fits. Thanks

Old 11-08-2012, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
you weren't suppose to order before brains..

Old 11-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Been changing oil for 50yrs. Should have ordered a few of these years ago.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
the hell. i thought my oil changes took a lot of time waiting for it to drip for minimum 15-20min... 50yrs...

Old 11-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mkane
Been changing oil for 50yrs. Should have ordered a few of these years ago.
I hope that this is not too late for you to act on, but order the Fumoto valves with the extra gasket (if necessary to act as a spacer). You want the valve lever to face downward. If it doesn't do that on installation, take it off again and use two gaskets for proper valve lever orientation. It will work OK in any orientation, but a downward facing lever makes it easier to keep your hand out of the oil stream after moving the lever.

You won't regret your purchase! I also have almost 50 years of car maintenance experience, and used the Fumoto drain valve (sold under a different name) on my '87 Ford Bronco, and could not find that type of oil drain valve again until I bought my GD Fit in 2006. Found mention of Fumoto on the forums and bought one, then bought another for the GD's replacement in 2008. The valves are worth twice the price due to high quality and all of the previously discussed advantages.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Triskelion
order the Fumoto valve.
Yep, only way to go!

Old 11-09-2012, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
hmmm sounds cool might just get one anyone got a link

Old 11-09-2012, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
Triskelion do u got pic of urs installed

Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Which?

I used valves like these on the last car I purchased brand new, a 1985 turbo Chrysler GTS. The valve worked great, the car didn't work out at all. As I sold it I thought about keeping the quick change valve, but wasn't worth the effort. Don't know why I didn't bother in the dozen used cars I bought for family members since.

But when I go to the Fumotu page there are 4 different types F106 valves they show compatible w/1500cc Honda FIT:

f106s (short nipple), f106 (no nipple), f106n (standard nipple), f316l (right angle nipple)

The last two say not for low clearance engines, so I think I'll avoid them. I do like the idea of being able to push a plastic tube on it to direct the output...BUT WHAT TYPE HAVE YOU ACTUALLY PUT ON A FIT, SO YOU KNOW (not just think) IT WILL WORK?

(There are also extenders in case the valve will hit the engine case before seated.)

Site I went to: Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™ but you can find them on Amazon too...once you decide WHICH F-106 you want.

Paul H

Old 11-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Wafulz
Triskelion do u got pic of urs installed
No. Go to their web site- it is easy to see how they work.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by prhkgh
I used valves like these on the last car I purchased brand new, a 1985 turbo Chrysler GTS. The valve worked great, the car didn't work out at all. As I sold it I thought about keeping the quick change valve, but wasn't worth the effort. Don't know why I didn't bother in the dozen used cars I bought for family members since.

But when I go to the Fumotu page there are 4 different types F106 valves they show compatible w/1500cc Honda FIT:

f106s (short nipple), f106 (no nipple), f106n (standard nipple), f316l (right angle nipple)

The last two say not for low clearance engines, so I think I'll avoid them. I do like the idea of being able to push a plastic tube on it to direct the output...BUT WHAT TYPE HAVE YOU ACTUALLY PUT ON A FIT, SO YOU KNOW (not just think) IT WILL WORK?

(There are also extenders in case the valve will hit the engine case before seated.)

Site I went to: Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™ but you can find them on Amazon too...once you decide WHICH F-106 you want.

Paul H
I used two paper gaskets to get proper lever positioning, and I do no use any tube. Nothing is in the way of the oil stream when the valve is opened- it drains directly downward into your drain pan. You might want to use a tube if you intend to drain into a plastic jug for pickup by your local trash company. Many garbage pick up companies will even give you a plastic jug for used oil and will pick up the full jug for free. It is the horizontally mounted oil filter that splashes oil onto frame parts. So, keep a rag or paper towel handy.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used a Fram Sure Drain on a GE?