2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Possible New Fit owner. opinions/advice plz

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Possible New Fit owner. opinions/advice plz

Hey guys

1 yr ago i went to but a buy my 1st brand new Civic. being a long time civic/honda lover this was a long over due moment... but it was crushed when i test drove the 2012 model... this was not the Civic i remembered. very squishy ride with horribly numb steering... not to mention the look of the car... wow

long story short after, many test drives i ended up getting a 2011 Corolla S because it was the only car i somewhat enjoyed driving. i have since done a few mods to it to make it feel more sporty and less like a "family car" (intake, springs, etc) but not much is available in the aftermarket world for the 10th gen Corolla.

now im left wanting a different car... my car needs pretty much revolve around what the older Gen civics offered. something fun & reliable to drive that gets 30+ Mpg, wont break the bank and has strong after market support.

my budget is under $20k and im stuck between the 2013 Fit & a used 2011 Civic or civic Si. knowing i WILL want more power at some point. i am leaning to the used 2011 civic market but in reality id really like to buy new if possible which brings me back to the Fit..

so, how is the forced induction market for these things? it seems everything ive been reading supports the older Gen Fit and not the newer ones. am i wrong?

sorry if my post seems long for one simple question but just trying to give some background.

thanks for any replies.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
"corolla" in the same sentence "enjoyed driving".... ok you lost me there.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Yea.... I know...

About forced induction tho. Is there only kits out for the older Gen Fits?

If there is not really any after market support in this area I'd kinda be making a lateral move to the Fit.

I just want to like driving again. I miss the i know the Fit has less go than my Corolla (stock vs stock) but if i can get real power add ons down the road i would make the move to the Fit.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't think there are any bolt-on forced induction kits for newer USDM Fits. (I'm not really up on such things, admittedly, as it's not of special interest to me.)

Have you looked at any other cars than the Corolla and Civic? If you can do with the limitations (two seats, etc.), it sure sounds to me like a used late model Mazda Miata would be pretty much what you're looking for. I don't think there are any cars that are more fun to drive, reliable, reasonably efficient, and not too expensive available, and they have lots of aftermarket performance parts support.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
If you want power there is little/no support for forced induction/swaps for the GE8. If you want good looking, cheap, and fun go for the Fit.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
Performance Modifications for FIT in the form of "Bolt-ons" are limited to suspension and Weight Savings.

If you want performance/mods/power, the Civic Si is where you should be looking.

~SB

Old 10-07-2012, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Have you ever driven the previous generation FIT?

Get gently used and start there.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ed_in_texas
Have you ever driven the previous generation FIT?

Get gently used and start there.
Who was this in reference to?

My theory on getting the Si is that the Si has a power/weight ratio of 1hp/15lbs (Sedan) and can be purchased as a 2011 certified used. The 2008 Fit will be tough to find as a Certified used vehicle and has a power/weight ratio of 1hp/22.67lbs. To make up the difference between the two one would have to come up with 55hp and probably more than that as one would likely be adding more weight to the Fit to obtain the power. removing seats, etc.. would be removing functionality which doesn't seem like it is an option for the OP. The SI also has more ammenities, better seats, gearbox, etc... but it does lack the hatch

In short the civic will have Warranty, better power/weight ratio, more luxuries and much better balance. Which seems like what the OP is looking for.

~SB

Old 10-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
Who was this in reference to?

My theory on getting the Si is that the Si has a power/weight ratio of 1hp/15lbs (Sedan) and can be purchased as a 2011 certified used. The 2008 Fit will be tough to find as a Certified used vehicle and has a power/weight ratio of 1hp/22.67lbs. To make up the difference between the two one would have to come up with 55hp and probably more than that as one would likely be adding more weight to the Fit to obtain the power. removing seats, etc.. would be removing functionality which doesn't seem like it is an option for the OP. The SI also has more ammenities, better seats, gearbox, etc... but it does lack the hatch

In short the civic will have Warranty, better power/weight ratio, more luxuries and much better balance. Which seems like what the OP is looking for.

~SB
This is pretty much what im thinking. Id prefer to by new, but No major bolt ons to get the Fit power up to a nice level kinda of kills it. If the Fit "sport"came with the the same engine the Civic (non Si) we wouldn't even be having this discussion and id be at the dealer right now signing on the dotted line.

I really like the Fit in more ways than one but the lack of power is kind of a deal breaker. With it being slower than my Corolla id have a hard time justifying the purchase.

Thanks everyone for your input. It was very helpful. Apparently i need to go on some more test drives.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Get the fit... but get a manual.. you will come to love it.. I did. I have 2 of them!

Old 10-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by some guy
With it being slower than my Corolla id have a hard time justifying the purchase.
Well, not slower than your Corolla, but just about exactly as slow as your Corolla

There is little aftermarket support for the newer gen Fit as far as serious power mods, so yes, you'd be in exactly the same boat as your Corolla. I bet there's more available for the Corolla than the Fit, hasn't it had the same engine or some form of it for like 10 years now?

If I were to buy a newish HONDA with the explicit intent to mod I would pick up a certified Civic Si. You don't really have many other choices.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
So while a Civic Si isn't a bad suggestion, I have a different point of view.

It seems like your relative satisfaction with the Corolla could be down to the fact that Toyotas typically have bigger engines and softer suspension than Hondas. Nothing wrong with that - if you live somewhere that's mostly straight lines, then sportiness means "powwwrrrrrrrr!!!" not so much handling. And the S adds a bunch a sporty interior features, just like the Fit. So ...

I'm pretty sure the Corolla actually accepts engine modifications pretty well, and there's a lot out there. Supercharging comes to mind as a common option but you'd have to look into that to be sure. If you like the car, I would be inclined to keep it.

If you want a hatch, a slightly used Mazda3 can be had with a 2.5L engine. That should be decently quick out of the box, and a lot cheaper than a Mazdaspeed.

Hyundai has just come out with the Veloster Turbo. This is a car that is not too much heavier than the Fit but has 200hp. I would guess that there are already people turning their base Velosters into Turbos. Also a hatchback .. kinda..

Might think of some more later but that's it for now.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:50 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
Sig worthy

Old 10-29-2012, 06:36 AM
5 Year Member
The Corolla and Fit are polar opposites really. My sister's ride is a ZZE121 Corolla from 2000, and while the grunt is nice it really doesn't like corners. It's most in its element as a four-up comfy cruiser ticking the miles away.

My GD1 is smaller-engined (1.3L) and weaker (82 HP at the crank) than your GD3s or GE8s (1.5L, 110-120 HP at the crank), and it's certainly more breathless than any Corolla. Complain as you may about the paucity of mods for your cars, there are even fewer power-adders for my L13A3 engine this side of a turbo or a wet shot of nitrous. In driving terms power isn't the point of the Fit - momentum and cornering are.

If you're seriously considering a Fit, I think you'll have to accept this mindset if you want to really enjoy the car. Just my two cents

Old 10-29-2012, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
If you can afford the insurance, used Scion TC, small size, big engine. I would not recommend the Fit, as much as I love mine, to the power hungry. You will be disappointed, and aftermarket mods, even for the 1st gen arent that plentiful.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:45 AM
AE86?

I had a supercharged 9th gen Corolla, so I'm biased.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Schoat333
AE86?

I had a supercharged 9th gen Corolla, so I'm biased.
hahaha, i was talking about the crap (corolla's) they've been selling the last decade.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:26 PM
hahaha, i was talking about the crap (corolla's) they've been selling the last decade.
I'd say that's mostly true.

I had an 03 S that I put the TRD supercharger on, and a bunch of other stuff. It was really fun after that.

The 05-06 XRS was also pretty sweet.