2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Seriously, no cruise on the base?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Seriously, no cruise on the base?

I *love* my 2010 base. I really do. I've put almost 3000 miles on it in a month. Great car. It has just about everything I need in a car (now that I installed a nav system) - except cruise control. When I went shopping it never even crossed my mind that a base Fit wouldn't have cruise. Every Honda I've ever owned has had factory cruise (going back to the mid-1980s). Why do I need tire pressure sensors but not cruise control? This is 2012 guys. I mean, come *on*. I'd trade those tire sensors or the oil life dealie-bob for a cruise control. Now I have to spend more money and end up with something on a stalk behind the steering wheel cross member that I won't be able to see. What were they thinking?

Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 PM
I have a 12 sport and I wish I could give you my cruise control

heck I never use it on any of my cars new or old.I'm one of those guys who can drive for ever and never think about using cruise.

There is so much darn traffic in L.A. that CC is useless but I hear ya brother
for most it's a must have.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ursenay
What were they thinking?
Econobox

>.<

Old 09-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Tk3
5 Year Member
I *love* my 2010 base. I really do. I've put almost 3000 miles on it in a month. Great car. It has just about everything I need in a car (now that I installed a nav system) - except cruise control. When I went shopping it never even crossed my mind that a base Fit wouldn't have cruise. Every Honda I've ever owned has had factory cruise (going back to the mid-1980s). Why do I need tire pressure sensors but not cruise control? This is 2012 guys. I mean, come *on*. I'd trade those tire sensors or the oil life dealie-bob for a cruise control. Now I have to spend more money and end up with something on a stalk behind the steering wheel cross member that I won't be able to see. What were they thinking?
The 2011, 2012 and 2013 Fits have cruise control on the base models while the 2009 and 2010 Fits do not have it in the base model.

Last edited by Tk3; 09-21-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:54 AM
As was mentioned, they've since added the cruise control to the base. They may have omitted it initially as an incentive to get more people to upgrade to the sport model.

I think a tire pressure monitoring system is a US federal government requirement for new cars now. You'd have about as much luck buying a car without parking lights, which I would consider even more useless than the TPMS.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
The classic example is, why do the third-class rail carriages in India not have roofs? Not because it would be expensive to add. No, it's because if they had roofs, some people currently buying 2nd class would just buy 3rd class for less money.

But at some point people get annoyed and buy the competition, in this case Hyundai, so Honda presumably felt they had to include the cruise. Probably pretty annoying to them because, I expect that the cruise hardware is actually a little expensive, maybe $15 unit cost.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Yeah cruise is great. Traffic is so minimal in Arizona I use it in the city. I just went on my first five hour drive in the fit and it did well

Old 09-21-2012, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
My Sport has everything including cruise! There's nothing it needs! neener-neener neener!!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Starting to eeeeeever so slightly regret getting the base and not the sport. Oh well, it was relatively cheap.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:33 PM
I wouldn't buy a car without cruise control. Every time I go on the highway weather I'm driving five miles or fifty miles I use it.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
I hope I don't come across as being sarcastic because that is not my intention but there were a few things I was taught as a kid when buying a car.

1. Test drive the actual car you want to buy.
2. Check the car out thoroughly to ensure it has everything you want.
3. Play with every feature the car has to see if/how they work.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
"five miles or fifty" you use cruise? must not be lots of hills where you are, or else you have more power than my car :P I spend a lot of time taking over from the cruise when it runs into trouble due to topographical challenges and a distinct lack of spinach it it's diet.

But, I completely agree - I wouldn't buy a car without cruise. Drove a del Sol without it for three years and highway trips were hugely painful. Your foot starts rubbing against the heel of your shoe after the first two hours, and cramping shortly thereafter. Even just to be able to put it on for five minutes while you move your feet about gives you 90% of the benefit

I cannot wait until they get to the automatic cruise control / road train / stop&go control on reasonably priced cars. I love driving ... but I hate sitting in traffic

Old 09-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
I hope I don't come across as being sarcastic because that is not my intention but there were a few things I was taught as a kid when buying a car.

1. Test drive the actual car you want to buy.
2. Check the car out thoroughly to ensure it has everything you want.
3. Play with every feature the car has to see if/how they work.
Yeah, nice ideas, but not practical in today's world. I drove 175 miles to get the car, and it's a Honda, and it had a clear Carfax report. I'd test driven a base Fit before, but as I said, it never even crossed my mind that it wouldn't have a cruise control, since every Honda I've owned since the 1980s has had it.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, nice ideas, but not practical in today's world. I drove 175 miles to get the car, and it's a Honda, and it had a clear Carfax report.
How is it not practical in today's world? I think especially with having driven 175 miles to buy the car that you would make sure it had everything you wanted. I understand that most of today's cars come fully loaded and all features are generally standard especially compared to yesteryear but you can't take things for granted.

It's kind of like dating. You don't marry a woman on the first date and then act surprised if she doesn't cook and say "all the women back in the 80's used to cook for their men!"

Ya gotta feel 'em out!

Old 09-22-2012, 05:53 PM
The car was 14k new............. I wouldn't complain.

Otherwise, sell It and buy a sport. It didn't make sense to NOT buy the sport. Alloy wheels wing, and fog lights were what I was going to add.... That added up to the 2k difference with new tires and all.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
They added the feature in 2011 and on. Which is why I went with the base. Once they added the cruise and ipod interface, the only thing the sport had over the base was the trim and wheels (and rear swaybar, but I will be addind one from progress eventually). I just wish we could have gotten the heated seats/mirrors and larger windsheild juice jug that the Canadian Fits get.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
After buying a Sport model back in 2006 because I felt I needed cruise control I realized I would have been better off with a base model... Except for a couple of vacations along the South Texas coast before putting a throttle spring on the throttle I haven't used the cruise control except when I start wondering if it still works.. Except for the fog lights I haven't benefited from any of the other features and the low clearance of the front lip has been a constant hindrance.. I will be installing an after market one piece bumper and HID retrofit headlights and doing away with the fog lights and the heavy as sin stock alloy wheels have been gone for almost 4 years now.. Less is more when it comes to small cars and motorized 2 wheelers..

Old 09-26-2012, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Never used cruise control on any of my vehicles. Only reasons I brought the Sport was the appearance such as wheels, rear spoiler, fog lights, side skirts and a few other items. If there was more aftermarket support for the GE8 I would of consider the base and use the extra money for mods.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
If you are looking for best mileage on flat land cc gives it. I love mine, I only turn it off when the hills are steep, it will force a down shift and on very steep it will do two or more to keep it at speed. First time I saw 5000 rpm was on steep incline with cc, switched it off and it immediately dropped rpms.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm surprised so many people want cruise control. Cruise control always sounded dangerous to me... to have the car maintain speed for you while your right foot is off sleeping elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Seriously, no cruise on the base?