2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is it worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 AM
LOL! no harm done mate..

so still looking for more opinions here :P

Old 09-11-2012, 02:51 AM
op wants to lower the car. wants opinions as to if coilovers are worth the ~$500 over the price of springs.so honestly driving school is a great idea its inexpensive and worth the time but it doesnt lower sabawballs fit.
The original post asks "Is it worth the price" and not "are coilovers worth the extra money over springs". The original post goes on to discuss the poor quality of PH roads, and that the car will be used for "casual spirited driving" and not track use. So it seems like the original post is seeking opinions on all options, including leaving the suspension stock.

perhaps you should vist my thread about peoples opinions and why all are valid but some are worth less.
I'm sure that's a great read, but no thanks.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:44 AM
Sabawballs, thanks for clarifying your original post.

Backing up a bit, can you explain why you want to lower your car? It doesn't sound like you will see much benefit for somewhat spirited street driving, and you run the typical risks associated with reduced ground clearance on not so great roads.

If it's predominantly for aesthetic reasons, great. It's your car and you should do whatever makes you happy. If that's the case, you should probably go with the cheapest alternative that achieves that goal.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Hi OP!

Coilovers are spectacularly efficient at what they do. But they require you to drive your FIT in extreme conditions to benefit from them. A good analogy is owning a Ferrari and never going over 60mph. You have this really good piece of engineering but you never use it to it's full potential.

Springs like Swifts are made specifically to work with the equipment Honda has provided you. That is to say the springs are matched to the dampers. People have reported that with a rear sway bar and Swifts springs the car now drives like it should. Steadier in curves, or during periods of high winds or even when passing trucks the car stays planted. Even on bad roads the ride is still nearly stock.

There are a number of other companies that provide springs for our FITs but they are not meant for the factory dampers. Meaning that they will not get their full potential and your dampers provided by Honda will break down sooner. In order to maximize the potential of non Swift springs you have to upgrade your dampers as well as purchasing the springs.

If your goal is to lower your car to the very max then coilovers are a good bet. But for a mild drop and for a boost in car's performance regarding handling, Swift springs are the way to go even if you have to order them from overseas and have to save your monies for a while longer.

To me this decision is clear and you don't have to count answers anymore.

Man with a recommendation like this Swift should send me a free set of springs eh?

Have a great day!

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 09-11-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
Hi OP!

Coilovers are spectacularly efficient at what they do. But they require you to drive your FIT in extreme conditions to benefit from them. A good analogy is owning a Ferrari and never going over 60mph. You have this really good piece of engineering but you never use it to it's full potential.

Springs like Swifts are made specifically to work with the equipment Honda has provided you. That is to say the springs are matched to the dampers. People have reported that with a rear sway bar and Swifts springs the car now drives like it should. Steadier in curves, or during periods of high winds or even when passing trucks the car stays planted. Even on bad roads the ride is still nearly stock.

There are a number of other companies that provide springs for our FITs but they are not meant for the factory dampers. Meaning that they will not get their full potential and your dampers provided by Honda will break down sooner. In order to maximize the potential of non Swift springs you have to upgrade your dampers as well as purchasing the springs.

If your goal is to lower your car to the very max then coilovers are a good bet. But for a mild drop and for a boost in car's performance regarding handling, Swift springs are the way to go even if you have to order them from overseas and have to save your monies for a while longer.

To me this decision is clear and you don't have to count answers anymore.

Man with a recommendation like this Swift should send me a free set of springs eh?

Have a great day!
^ this is very helpful! so i guess if i won't get the swifts from overseas, i should get coilovers. Thanks alot man!

Old 09-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
where do u intend on buying coilovers in the PH? i'm flying down there Nov. Was curious where i can go and buy some JDM stuffs.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cgpEJ6
I would go with springs, check out the Eibach ones.
I agree Sportlines are great...but given your road conditions I would just go with the Eibach Pro kit.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
prokit is progressive rate = soft turn-in, sway. you'd need to get a swaybar to correct this.

get the swifts which are linear rate = correct setting. no need for sway bar unless you want it.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sabawballs
Hello there fellow FF members.

Since after trying to ask questions on other thread without response, i did my research and actually just wanna ask your opinions if it is worth it?

I have budget to get some coils now but was thinking of just a mild drop. As per reading other threads, Around 20-25mm front and 30mm rear drop is the ideal drop without scraping, rubbing etc.

I can get that with just Tein H-Tech springs but some of my friends still insists that i go coils even for a mild drop that i want. Also they said that even if i go lower, i would not rub if i go with coils (i dunno why).

In PH, roads are really crap (anyone you ask from PH will agree). Lots of potholes, cracks, humps etc.

I am just using my fit for daily driving (mixed city and highway). No track intentions but maybe ones in a blue moon. Casual spirited driving.

So you guys think its worth the price? Let's say springs will cost around $313 here and coilovers around $813 both when converted to USD

Thanks!

Coil overs have the advantage of adjusting ride height so you can custom set your ride and have better matched shocks..
Coils and just springs are pretty much the same in ride as long as the ride height is similar. When you lower the shock rod travel is reduced and that can be beneficial if you don't lower more than 25-30 mm.
The disadvantage to just coils, besides harder riude, is they can be mismatched to the shock absorber characteristics; most coil overs come with new shocks too and thats better. better naturally costs more.
that help?
good luck.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
where do u intend on buying coilovers in the PH? i'm flying down there Nov. Was curious where i can go and buy some JDM stuffs.
There are a lot of shops here in PH where you can buy coilovers. Though some shops sell their coils $100 more expensive. Really depends on the item.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by bmxman
I agree Sportlines are great...but given your road conditions I would just go with the Eibach Pro kit.
was considering pro-kits as well. Though with 1.25" drop front and tends to settle at around 1.5". This drop usually have a rubbing problem paired with 205/45/17 if no camber bolts installed. I also tried one pro-kit on a GE. Though ride in front is superb, the rear tends to bounce too much for my liking.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
banawe? i wanna hit up an area where they actually have stock on hand and a decent selection of stuff.

i'm not really looking for coilovers, more like mebbe intake/exhaust/rims, or whatever else i can stuff into my balikbayan boxes.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
prokit is progressive rate = soft turn-in, sway. you'd need to get a swaybar to correct this.

get the swifts which are linear rate = correct setting. no need for sway bar unless you want it.
yep okay then. Though still thinking if i should go swifts because its $450 to be shipped here and that is very sad news for me. It is priced already more than half of the full coilover set. That is why i am considering tein htechs because of the price differential.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Coil overs have the advantage of adjusting ride height so you can custom set your ride and have better matched shocks..
Coils and just springs are pretty much the same in ride as long as the ride height is similar. When you lower the shock rod travel is reduced and that can be beneficial if you don't lower more than 25-30 mm.
The disadvantage to just coils, besides harder riude, is they can be mismatched to the shock absorber characteristics; most coil overs come with new shocks too and thats better. better naturally costs more.
that help?
good luck.
Yep! it helped. I was referring to the full coilover sets with the springs and shocks. At around $813, i think it is a good deal. That is why i was considering this as well. hmmm lots of thinking to do.

If i follow my "being practical side" i'd go with the springs. If "i want that ZOMFG" i'd go coilovers. Really still undecided but leaning toward coilovers because of the availability and easier warranty purposes since i can't get swifts locally.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:06 PM
banawe? i wanna hit up an area where they actually have stock on hand and a decent selection of stuff.

i'm not really looking for coilovers, more like mebbe intake/exhaust/rims, or whatever else i can stuff into my balikbayan boxes.
Yeah banawe. There are a lot of shops there. One of our group members also owns a shop there so maybe we can hook you up.

For rims though, if you want to go for the original i think its better to buy there. If you opt for replicas (rota) then it is definitely cheaper here.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sabawballs
was considering pro-kits as well. Though with 1.25" drop front and tends to settle at around 1.5". This drop usually have a rubbing problem paired with 205/45/17 if no camber bolts installed. I also tried one pro-kit on a GE. Though ride in front is superb, the rear tends to bounce too much for my liking.
I'm on Sportlines and I ran 205/45/17 for a year and the only time I rubbed was when I had full passenger capacity....it really depends more on the offset, my offset was 42.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by bmxman
I'm on Sportlines and I ran 205/45/17 for a year and the only time I rubbed was when I had full passenger capacity....it really depends more on the offset, my offset was 42.
using +45mm but my wheels are 7.5" wide. Really sportslines with no rubbing?

Old 09-12-2012, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator
buying expensive rims are way out of the budget for me. plus i'm too afraid of seeing my car on cinder blocks being only two town away from the carnapping capital of the USA. i wouldn't mind so much the rotas, they are pretty nice and for the price too.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
Looking at the pricing, you looking at $800 coilovers, I am almost certain your stock struts/shocks mated with SWIFT Sport-Machs will handle better than whatever that cheap coilover setup is you're looking at. Why pay more money for something that is not as good quality or ride characteristic? The SWIFT springs are of excellent quality and as has been stated multiple times are matched to the capabilities of the stock components.

Add in a rear sway bar with the SWIFT springs and definitely have a much better handling ride over the suspension you are looking at for roughly the same price.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 AM
buying expensive rims are way out of the budget for me. plus i'm too afraid of seeing my car on cinder blocks being only two town away from the carnapping capital of the USA. i wouldn't mind so much the rotas, they are pretty nice and for the price too.
yeah rotas are cheap here. We also get some thai/taiwan copies which will be cheaper than rotas too. for 17s, it will cost you around $560 for a set.

Quick Reply: Is it worth the price?