2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda dealers are getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Honda dealers are getting worse

My TMPS warning light came on, so I checked the air, and all tires were as they should be. Next day I went to the dealer to get it checked out, and instead of showing an interest in the problem, the guy tried a hard sell to get me to buy ANYTHING they could sell me. First said my tires were "beat up" They aren't, and in fact have a LOT of tread left, even wear and no cupping. Then he said I might have a bad valve stem. I said if it isn't leaking, and the car is only 2 years old, it is not likely. He then started to get agitated, and asked when I had last brought it in for service. I told him I do my own routine maintenance, and he became more agitated.. He said make an appointment for the next day. I went to Discount Tire, and they reset the system and all is well. It used to be that Honda dealers were the best, and the one I went to was the best of the best. The last few times I have been to ones in Phoenix, however, they act like carnival hawkers. Sort of like Chevy dealers. Things have gone downhill.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by concorde
Understood, but I wouldn't go that far.

However, a person's perception of a business is only as good as the idiot(s) we deal with.
You are probably right. I called the General manager and told him that I thought I was in a Tijuana hawker convention. He said nothing and I have heard nothing back. I can only assume that a number of dealers have been bought out by the "rip your lips" crowd. (My family has bought 10 new Hondas from that dealer. There will not be an 11th from them ) Too bad, since it is now so hard to find a Honda dealer like we used to have. Honesty seems to have gone away. Chevy and Ford have pretty much done that too.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:13 PM
I am amazed at how discount/america's tire goes out of their way to please customers. I wish they had em in my area.

On a crosscountry trip in my parents' Impreza, the car picked up a nail in the tread. Took it to the Discount Tire in Moreno Valley CA and they fixed it, no charge. The place was clean and efficient and the employees spoke English well (not always a given). Can't recommend them enough.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
Once you buy your car, never go back to the dealer if you can help it. Your experience is a common one.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by EpilepticFit
I am amazed at how discount/america's tire goes out of their way to please customers. I wish they had em in my area.

On a crosscountry trip in my parents' Impreza, the car picked up a nail in the tread. Took it to the Discount Tire in Moreno Valley CA and they fixed it, no charge. The place was clean and efficient and the employees spoke English well (not always a given). Can't recommend them enough.
yeah, I have been buying from them since '77. Great people

Old 09-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Unless I have a warranty issue, my cars never go back to the dealer after I purchase them.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
even when i had a warrenty issue, i didnt go back to the dealer...as long as it wasnt a few hundred or more.

spending $200 or less and fixing a simple repair at my convineince is much better than....
making an appt for diagnosis which requires leaving car all day.
being wihtout a car for the day..they dont give loaners for diagnostic time.
hoping they can replicate the problem and cover it under warrenty.
having to make another appt for when they get teh part to fix it...cause it seems they never stock whats needed.
and being without my car for another day if the repair is 3 hours or less...no loaner cars unless its 3 hours or more. but..evne though the book tiem for the repair is lets say 2 hours...they need the car all day casue they done know when theyll get to it. so there is no point ot waiting.

fuck honda service.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wetphoto
My TMPS warning light came on, so I checked the air, and all tires were as they should be. Next day I went to the dealer to get it checked out, and instead of showing an interest in the problem, the guy tried a hard sell to get me to buy ANYTHING they could sell me. First said my tires were "beat up" They aren't, and in fact have a LOT of tread left, even wear and no cupping. Then he said I might have a bad valve stem. I said if it isn't leaking, and the car is only 2 years old, it is not likely. He then started to get agitated, and asked when I had last brought it in for service. I told him I do my own routine maintenance, and he became more agitated.. He said make an appointment for the next day. I went to Discount Tire, and they reset the system and all is well. It used to be that Honda dealers were the best, and the one I went to was the best of the best. The last few times I have been to ones in Phoenix, however, they act like carnival hawkers. Sort of like Chevy dealers. Things have gone downhill.
sorry to hear. but dont let one bonehead represent entire honda service. my dealers are very good. they are very polite, very clear on what they do, they dont try to sell me things i dont need (well im very clear on what i want so that probably tell them they can't sell me things i dont really need).

i recommend writing to the dealer manager or owner about your experience and if they would help you out if you come in again.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
I have had enough problems with dealer's service to shy away from them.

As an example on the Fit I had a leaking CV boot on the passenger side at 13K miles. I called the dealer to make an appointment. Service transferred me to parts since I knew what they needed. Parts ordered the part and said to make an appointment for Monday. I did that and stated it was a warranty item and that parts would have the part. I also wanted the motion spring recall done. On Friday parts called and said that the part was in. So I had my call transferred to Service and I transferred to Service and reconfirmed the Monday appointment. I also reconfirmed that these two items were a warranty covered. On Monday I showed up and no one in service knew anything about the appointment or the part. I went to parts and they confirmed that they had the part. They tried to charge me for it. I explained it was a warranty job. Now I went back to service and they agreed to work on the car. I got the car back that evening and a bill for $300+. The bill was for labor only as they said I had already paid for the part. One half hour later I got that straightened out and left. One half hour after that I found that they had broken the air intake box doing the motion spring recall. I arrived back at the dealer 15 minutes after service closing time and had to explain the problem to the service manager. The service manager and one mechanic still around attempted to fix the broken box. The manager said it was broken when I brought it in. I asked why they did not note that on the service ticket and try to sell me a new one since they removed it during the emotion spring install. He finally agreed to order the air box and fix it. When I went back about a week later to get it fixed we started to go through this all over again. Service knew nothing. Parts had the part and wanted to charge me for it. The service manager was nowhere to be found. I finally got them to give me the part and I took it home and installed it myself.

NOW, Why would you want to go through all of this just to get mediocre dealer service?

Last edited by n9cv; 09-10-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
^why are you even ordering parts for your service if its warrenty issue?
if honda is to do the work...they order the parts. you probly confused them by going about it that way.

with that said, they still suck balls.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Oh man everytime I go to to jamba juice. Those ****ers do every trick I can think of to sell me juice. Im always like whoa who do you think you are I came for water. I know I can get water anywhere but I have a jamba juice glass. F**K PEOPLE DOING THEIR JOBS WHILE AT THEIR PLACES OF WORK

Old 09-10-2012, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
^serious?

when i go to honda SERVICE for a problem, i expect my problem to be fixed. not sell me things i dont need. thats what the sales/showroom is for.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
^serious?

when i go to honda SERVICE for a problem, i expect my problem to be fixed. not sell me things i dont need. thats what the sales/showroom is for.
You are dealing with a service writer. Basically a secretary. Someone who is paid by the owner of the dealership not honda. Not a technician. Beyond ordering parts and reciting what's on the screen they are not trained to do much. If your lucky enough to get a service advisor then you get someone with a book and internet connection. Still what does any one expect these days. Have you heard of the term " middle man" that's what dealerships are.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Dealers make more money from the service dept than they do the showroom. Do you think they don't put salesmen back there?

unfortunately for them, Hondas need fewer repairs and the service intervals are lengthening. Sucks to be a Honda svc dept or a maytag repairman. So they sell you service before it's needed. Not exactly dishonest.

The guy that didn't offer to charge you to have a tech diagnose the TPMS problem was an idiot.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM
is OP a woman? i noticed that women tend to get fed more crap from places like that than men in my experience.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Sales people prey on ignorance.
They don't care if male or female.

Last edited by joey_fits; 09-10-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
sorry to hear. but dont let one bonehead represent entire honda service. my dealers are very good. they are very polite, very clear on what they do, they dont try to sell me things i dont need (well im very clear on what i want so that probably tell them they can't sell me things i dont really need).

i recommend writing to the dealer manager or owner about your experience and if they would help you out if you come in again.
Problem is...I have at one time or another been to all Honda dealers in the Phoenix area, and Arrowhead was the last good one. They have all gone the way of the sleaze.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
time to move outta there.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Most service reps I dealt with, whether at Honda or other brand dealers seemed "nice" at first, but really tried to up sale unnecessary services, which I almost always decline. I try to smile as I decline and many are fine, but I met some who got REALLY upset that I wasn't buying the service.

Many times, I had to bring in pictures, videos, and written description of symptoms of car issues I had, because the service reps either could not type in the issue description correctly into the computer or they misunderstand the problem. Anything other than routine maintenance stuff, they had hard time communicating the problem succinctly to the technicians so the technicians could diagnose the problem quickly and correctly. I usually end up describing the problem again (with pictures and videos ) directly to the technician because the service rep would come back about an hour or two of waiting later, saying "issue you talked about xyz... cannot be reproduced" and I realize what he was saying did not match the problem I stated earlier. What a waste of my time!

I totally understand they have to justify their salary by generating sale, but sometimes I really don't understand what value they offer to ME.

Anyway, a good experience I had... I did meet a few nice service reps as well as parts managers. One service rep actually followed up on a promise to locate a body shop that could complete the repair the dealer could not perform and on top of that got a good "dealer" quote that was way less expensive that what I got from my independent shop.

A parts manager at Honda dealership nearby was very open to trying to match against my net cost for purchasing the parts via online store ( price + shipping).

It was like finding a diamond among a pile of sh*t

Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
time to move outta there.
I suspect you are right

Quick Reply: Honda dealers are getting worse