2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

When did you take Fit in for 1st dealer service?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:17 PM
When did you take Fit in for 1st dealer service?

I've had my new 2012 base AT Fit about a month now, and just got a letter from the dealership that mentioned time for my first servicing is coming up.

But unlike other new vehicles I bought in decades past, I don't recall seeing any service schedule with mileages mentioned...just stuff like what is done on an "A" service, what's done on a "B" service, etc.

Most cars I've owned I've performed regular 3000 mile oil and filter changes regardless of longer suggested intervals, a holdover from early VW ownership. But 1st time around I'll let the dealer take a shot. My fit has about 1050 miles on it, and the % oil life left is showing 90%...but I don't know if I'll trust that even when the car is fully broken in, as I don't know how it figures the % left...purely miles? some algorithm based on avg rpms? Other? I HATE 'black boxes' telling me when to do things if I don't know what criteria they use.

I'm old enough to remember when cars had specific oil for their breakin period, and you didn't want to change it before it had time to do its breakin thing and seat the rings right. Maybe I missed a specific mileage on the odometer or months on a calendar somewhere in the owner's book...?

So when did YOU take it back to the dealer for the first servicing? (Oh, everything is working fine so far, although I'll put a mild grouse in that the AC doesn't blow colder...and expect a "that's normal" response.)

Paul H

Old 09-02-2012, 08:25 PM
...when the maintenance minder told me it was time. It was just shy
of the 1-year ownership mark.

If the maintenance minder had not gone of I was going to take her in
at the 1-year mark anyway.

I see no reason to 2nd guess the maintenance minder and establish
my own regime of mileage intervals for the oil change. Been there and
done that... don't believe it is necessary with the modern oils & engines.

Dad used to change his oil at 2,000 mile intervals on a '67 New Yorker
with the 440.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by prhkgh
I've had my new 2012 base AT Fit about a month now, and just got a letter from the dealership that mentioned time for my first servicing is coming up.

But unlike other new vehicles I bought in decades past, I don't recall seeing any service schedule with mileages mentioned...just stuff like what is done on an "A" service, what's done on a "B" service, etc.

Most cars I've owned I've performed regular 3000 mile oil and filter changes regardless of longer suggested intervals, a holdover from early VW ownership. But 1st time around I'll let the dealer take a shot. My fit has about 1050 miles on it, and the % oil life left is showing 90%...but I don't know if I'll trust that even when the car is fully broken in, as I don't know how it figures the % left...purely miles? some algorithm based on avg rpms? Other? I HATE 'black boxes' telling me when to do things if I don't know what criteria they use.

I'm old enough to remember when cars had specific oil for their breakin period, and you didn't want to change it before it had time to do its breakin thing and seat the rings right. Maybe I missed a specific mileage on the odometer or months on a calendar somewhere in the owner's book...?

So when did YOU take it back to the dealer for the first servicing? (Oh, everything is working fine so far, although I'll put a mild grouse in that the AC doesn't blow colder...and expect a "that's normal" response.)

Paul H
I suggest going by what's in your owner's manual and not what a service salesperson tells you.

Read it.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Paul56
...when the maintenance minder told me it was time. It was just shy
of the 1-year ownership mark.

If the maintenance minder had not gone of I was going to take her in
at the 1-year mark anyway.

I see no reason to 2nd guess the maintenance minder and establish
my own regime of mileage intervals for the oil change. Been there and
done that... don't believe it is necessary with the modern oils & engines.

Dad used to change his oil at 2,000 mile intervals on a '67 New Yorker
with the 440.
Thanks Paul56...that's about what I had been intending to do, use the 1 year anniversary if % oil left had not dropped to 15% or so...

When I got the probably-automated email from the dealer saying it was "almost time": it made me think maybe I had missed something in the documentation. I may go in a bit earlier. I WILL go in earlier if anything seems "not right". But at a month and 1000 miles, if not specified? I doubt it.

Oh, and I used to own a 66 Chrysler Town & Country, and for many years an old 61 Chrysler Newport...great chunks of iron, even though the 1st had a 383, and the Newport had their "economy" 325hp 361.

Paul H

Old 09-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
just follow the MANUFACTURER's service schedule which will show up in your cluster with a wrench icon. ck owner's manual for the recommended schedules.

do not follow dealer service schedule as they are there to rip you off.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Invest in a floor jack, jack stands, an oil drain pan and tools so you can do your own servicing of the car... That way you will have no doubt about the work you are charged for is done and be at the mercy of the service department when they sell you on having work done that isn't needed.... I bought Fit in July of 2006 and have never taken it to anyone to be serviced...

Old 09-02-2012, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
15% or about 10k miles

~sb

Old 09-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Invest in a floor jack, jack stands, an oil drain pan and tools so you can do your own servicing of the car... That way you will have no doubt about the work you are charged for is done and be at the mercy of the service department when they sell you on having work done that isn't needed.... I bought Fit in July of 2006 and have never taken it to anyone to be serviced...
Yeah...I already have all those tools, also engine hoists, suspension spring compressors, valve spring compressors, yada yada yada. Have swapped and rebuilt engines between 6 and 10 times...clutches, transmissions, transfer cases, and axles even more, sometimes for a number of hard core off-road Samurais I've built up, sometimes due to buying MBZ, BMW, Volvo and others with 100k miles and keeping them to 250k miles in the days I had 3 kids in college at the same time, all needing transportation. Even hand ground to seat new valves (a mistake, took FOREVER). Basically almost anything you could do to a car except rebuild carbs. A couple times a year I would designate "oil changing day" and change the oil in everything in a row, and also flush radiators, replace brake fluid, etc. Even would weld up new spring perches to put Jeep spings in Samurais.

BUT, all that is for nought with only one working arm and 1.5 working legs here 17 months post stroke. If I got on my trusty cardboard to slide under to change oil and filter, they'd have to use the engine hoist to get me on my feet. THAT's why I bought the Fit...the first car I've been willing to buy new and eat the depreciation since the mid 80s. While I do hope to regain oil change capability in time, or at least use less expen$ive shops than a dealer, I'm willing to take it in for at least the 1st maintenance.

I guess I'll wait for the IDIOT maintenance icon to come on, or take it in around the 1 year mark...much as it pains me to essentially be trusting to a black box. Have also considered buying a Honda factory manual to find out more about the guts of my "marshmallow"...just so I'll be able to discus things more knowledgably, even if I'm not turning wrenches.

Paul H

Paul H

Old 09-02-2012, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah...I already have all those tools, also engine hoists, suspension spring compressors, valve spring compressors

I guess I'll wait for the IDIOT maintenance icon to come on
So clearly you know what you're doing from your comments. But still, couldn't help but laugh, especially given your earlier VW comment. My thoughts:

Lots of tools that most people don't need? Deep distrust of the competence of the machine's design, including the mechanisms specifically designed to help you take care of it? Looks like you really are a Volkswagen owner!!! Hehehehe

I like VWs a lot for their design and driving experience. In other ways, well, I've seen friends go through it. Sequential-failure coil packs? "Sealed for life" transmissions that actually mean "not repairable?" Some people think it's normal to have breakdowns twice a year, or more. The rest of us don't drive VWs. I hate to be the one to say this, but, by buying a new Honda .. you might be bored.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Honda recommends bringing the vehicle in when the maintenance minder system indicates 15% of oil life remaining OR every 6 months even if the MM system did not indicate a service; however, you can of course change your oil at a specific interval such as every 3k, 5k, 7.5k miles or whatever.

What've been seeing at work is all of the newer Hondas are going 8k to 9k miles between oil changes using our (Honda's) synthetic blend oil during their routine oil changes. I've also seen vehicles using a Honda's full synthetic oil typically go 9k to 10.5k miles following the maintenance minder's sequence.

The maintenance minder is a pretty sophisticated feature in our Hondas. Basically taking note of mileage, engine run time, engine load, start counts, and more then calculates the time interval that is best suited to change the oil based on your driving habits. The system monitors the condition of the engine oil, transmission fluid, coolant, VTM-4 (Pilots, Ridgelines only), as well as gives fairly accurate track of the air filters. The only items the MMS does not keep track of is the brake fluid or power steering fluid.

I personally change mine every 15% or 7.5k miles, whichever first, and treat every oil change as if it were a B1 service. That is an oil and oil filter change (the "B") with a tire rotation (the "1") and inspect the vehicle's various components for wear.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Hootie,

Thanks for your detailed response to assuage my vehicle paranoia. It was right on line with the level of detail and explanation I was hoping my query would generate, although I appreciate the many shorter less detailed inputs as well.

I don't know if I ever will be comfortable with 6500 or 7500 intervals, although I know synthetics are known for such distances. Maybe because I'd use my frequent changing of oil to closely look everything over, from other fluids to possibly leaky driveshaft boots or wearing U-joints. That and beginning my car use when 100,000 miles was considered the end of a vehicle's lifespan. But I guess it's finally time for me to graduate from frequent dino oils to engineered lubricants and distances, and trust Honda engineering and guidelines. Everyone I know who has owned Hondas, including my son who was with me for much of my car work, swears by instead of at Hondas, a major factor in my putting my money on the line for this enjoyable little car

Old 09-03-2012, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
@prhkgh I like the way you think... I have a lot of large pieces of cardboard and VW experience but only owned a couple of Chrysler products...

Old 09-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Actually Honda just says to make an appointment when it reaches 15% and do it before it reaches zero. Nothing magic about 15% except that it nags you whenever you start the car.

Also note that the monitor doesn't measure anything directly about the oil but just takes into account stuff like cold starts, hot starts, miles, etc. (all is just a guess, Honda doesn't reveal their formula). Even with that it's still better than just picking a mileage interval like you'd have to do without the computer.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Hootie,

Thanks for your detailed response to assuage my vehicle paranoia. It was right on line with the level of detail and explanation I was hoping my query would generate, although I appreciate the many shorter less detailed inputs as well.

I don't know if I ever will be comfortable with 6500 or 7500 intervals, although I know synthetics are known for such distances. Maybe because I'd use my frequent changing of oil to closely look everything over, from other fluids to possibly leaky driveshaft boots or wearing U-joints. That and beginning my car use when 100,000 miles was considered the end of a vehicle's lifespan. But I guess it's finally time for me to graduate from frequent dino oils to engineered lubricants and distances, and trust Honda engineering and guidelines. Everyone I know who has owned Hondas, including my son who was with me for much of my car work, swears by instead of at Hondas, a major factor in my putting my money on the line for this enjoyable little car
The problem I see is transitioning from a hands-on style to one where you trust a service adviser. The problem is they are advisers second and salespeople first.

I live in a dual mode house where my wife insists on trusting the Honda and Toyota service guy, and I don't. Other than approaching divorce, here is what I've observed:

Toyota (her camry): told her she needed valve cover gaskets, that oil was pouring out. They previously sold her an oil pan gasket under the same approach. I went there and retrieved the car before they could do $800 service, took it home and to my dismay discovered that indeed "oil was pouring out." It turned out though it was through the oil drain plug they had stripped and not told anyone about. They also want to replace the power-steering pump (2nd time) rack, and hose set for about $1700. This is on a 1998 camry with 140k miles. No spots appearing on the garage floor.

Honda (daughter's Accord): When taking it in, my wife is told each time she needs to change the coolant. The car has 90k miles. They replaced the timing belts AND waterpump at 60K (much to my annoyance as the specified factory interval is stated in the owner's manual as 105K). Each time they suggest this I point out the service they did 30K miles ago and ask them, wouldn't this have included new coolant (as indeed it did, it's on the invoice).

Honda (my old 97 Odyssey w/225K). I religiously changed the oil on this according to the normal service guidelines; every 7,500 when the mechanical maintenance minder flipped. Never had an oil related issue; the car still runs today as a liquor store van for a friend. I pulled the trigger on a new honda based partly on the mandatory service I was told needed to be done, including rebuilding the power steering pump the last time I took it in for an oil change (Honda does price oil changes competitively). OK I was ready for a new car anyway, but you get the idea.

Even if you're not wrenching anymore, at least use your judgement on what the car needs, when it needs it, and not the dealer's. The best guideline is the manufacturer's.

I switched to synthetic oil on my Fit, but not because of a perceived lack of protection using mineral oils over 10K oil changes. It was because synthetic is better oil, and the 10K oil changes made the difference in cost/mile insignificant.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
12 months or 12500 miles

i had the maintenance reminder turned off before i picked the car up

Old 09-03-2012, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
The problem I see is transitioning from a hands-on style to one where you trust a service adviser. The problem is they are advisers second and salespeople first.
I think this definitely varies based upon dealership and individual Advisor. I've built a good relationship with many of the service advisors and also the service manager. because of this, they don't offer additional services unless needed and even have told my wife that "XXX or YYY is something your husband has done in the past so we didn't do those items on your Ridgeline" (She drives the ridge most of the time). They naturally follow up with "let us know if you'd like us to do them this time". Our Dealer also recommends following the maintenance minder and only recommends additional services when they are needed (Like just last week, they recommended our battery on the ridgeline needs to be replaced after they tested it -makes sense as it's the original 2005 battery and their test shows it to be low)

The most important thing you can do with the service department is build that relationship (If possible).

On the FIT, I use M1 Synthetic as it's a $41 oil change (vs $31) at the dealer every 9K-11K miles.

PRH - remember that 3K oil changes were common back when the manufacturing process for engines was crude, when refining oil was also not very advanced. These were the practices used over 50 years ago and both oil and engine technology has Advanced ten fold. so keeping oil in for only 3x the "old standard" is a no-brainer. Also, read some other threads on the oil and people who have gotten samples tested after 11-12K miles by Blackstone Labs. Their samples have all come back stating they could have gone much further.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 09-03-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
With the infrequent visits afforded by modern cars, the last place I'd look for a relationship is with my service sales person. Maybe if it was a Ford.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:04 PM
im a service advisor for acura now. at my dealership, we turn people away for not being down to 15%. if people insist, we will do it, but thats after we explain the system and how 3k is the old way and the other dealerships are just trying to make money suggesting anything other than what acura recommends.

we only suggest what the system recommends, nothing more, nothing less. every 3 years is brake fluid, and 90% of the time, the fluid is NASTY with solids in the bottom of the reservoir. otherwise, if your brakes are low, or tires low DUH we will suggest it... youd be pissed if you pulled out of our shop and popped a tire that had chords showing. but you are pissed if we "upsell" you tires as well. in my position, i cant win.

oh. i love the people that call in and say they are due for an oil change. "sir, what service is it recommending? what letter/numbers?" he'll say just an oil change. gets here, it says b136 on the dash, its going to be $350. hes PISSED... its not my fault. its the service due... its due... i didnt hook my computer up and make it say all that, thats the service you need! decline it, thats fine. its not me who will have to put a $4500 transmission in because you didnt spend $100 on the fluid exchange, but i sure will make the money off it. 2% of $100 isnt much, 2% of $4500 is a LOT

Last edited by eurobeaner; 09-03-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by eurobeaner
im a service advisor for acura now. at my dealership, we turn people away for not being down to 15%. if people insist, we will do it, but thats after we explain the system and how 3k is the old way and the other dealerships are just trying to make money suggesting anything other than what acura recommends.

we only suggest what the system recommends, nothing more, nothing less. every 3 years is brake fluid, and 90% of the time, the fluid is NASTY with solids in the bottom of the reservoir. otherwise, if your brakes are low, or tires low DUH we will suggest it... youd be pissed if you pulled out of our shop and popped a tire that had chords showing. but you are pissed if we "upsell" you tires as well. in my position, i cant win.

oh. i love the people that call in and say they are due for an oil change. "sir, what service is it recommending? what letter/numbers?" he'll say just an oil change. gets here, it says b136 on the dash, its going to be $350. hes PISSED... its not my fault. its the service due... its due... i didnt hook my computer up and make it say all that, thats the service you need! decline it, thats fine. its not me who will have to put a $4500 transmission in because you didnt spend $100 on the fluid exchange, but i sure will make the money off it. 2% of $100 isnt much, 2% of $4500 is a LOT
I believe this. I actually put more faith in dealer service departments now than before (at least the one that I go to regularly). They did suggest I wait after I wanted to get an oil change at 3000 miles. I thought that was very honest of them. Been going to the same one ever since. My service advisor always offers me an advertised coupn even if I didn't know about it. They treat me good there. But I still think it depends on the dealership and their overall philisophy.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
With the infrequent visits afforded by modern cars, the last place I'd look for a relationship is with my service sales person. Maybe if it was a Ford.
You must have a Really crappy Dealer near you. Our Service Department Isn't a sales dept. I'm actually not a fan of the sales dept (and I don't think they are either)

And with 2 hondas Currently being serviced by the dealer, We average about a trip every two or three months for various things including state inspection (FREE), Oil changes, other services, etc... They've serviced 4 hondas I've owned so far over the last 8 years and it's been the same service manager and a few of the same service associates.

If something major were to go wrong, I have a very good and respectful repoire with the Service Department.

Originally Posted by ninjaap
I believe this. I actually put more faith in dealer service departments now than before (at least the one that I go to regularly). They did suggest I wait after I wanted to get an oil change at 3000 miles. I thought that was very honest of them. Been going to the same one ever since. My service advisor always offers me an advertised coupn even if I didn't know about it. They treat me good there. But I still think it depends on the dealership and their overall philisophy.
I think it's more to do with the philosophy of the Service Manager and Owner than the Dealership itself (Whole dealership never hurts though). I'm not a fan of the Sales Dept as the one Sales manager acts like a used car salesman (even looks like one too with the greased back hair)

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 09-03-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: When did you take Fit in for 1st dealer service?