2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Condenser Protection

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 12:06 PM
It is cheap insurance. All it has to do is slow it down enough to prevent catastrophe. To each his own...

Old 11-30-2013, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
well the key in physics is to have some give to it.

There's the classic physics class experiment on acceleration to try to break an egg throwing it at a sheet held by 2 people, it can't be done.

So although the plastic isn't that tough, since it has quite a bit of give, it can actually work as effectively than a rigid grill made of stronger material.

Last edited by raytseng; 11-30-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by flash75
Of course it's my opinion, with no research. Where is the research for the opinion that gutter guard will prevent a flying rock form flying through the gutter guard? Photos aren't proof that it has actually been hit with a rock.

So we both have opinions without solid research.

I did have a flying rock hit my Mazda3 recently, We met a dump truck in a curve, as we passed a rock came from under the truck and hit my car. After stopping and checking for damage I found a dent about 1/4" deep and almost an inch in the windshield pillar.

Anyone out there willing to hurl a 1 inch rock toward a gutter guard protector at 100 mph to see if it will protect the condenser? I'm not a volunteer.

Clifton
It's not a black/white decision. There are loads of grey. If you decrease rock impacts that's still a positive thing even if you can't stop every one.

The teslas that caught on fire had a quarter inch plate of protection and still were punctured. That doesn't mean that because they couldn't protect that catastrophic failure, they should just give up completely and put no protection.
(This logical fallacy is popular in political rhetoric)

Last edited by raytseng; 11-30-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Of course it's my opinion, with no research. Where is the research for the opinion that gutter guard will prevent a flying rock form flying through the gutter guard? Photos aren't proof that it has actually been hit with a rock.

So we both have opinions without solid research.

Clifton
So true-- the difference is that you put your opinion out there as fact, whereas I noted that my opinion was worthless from the onset. lolol You still seem to be determined to be credible.

But you know what? I went to Lowes and found the plastic gutter guard. HOWEVER, I also found a 6"x48" black metal gutter mesh for only $2.48. Then I got some 8" black plastic ties (the tie width JUST small enough to pass through the small grill openings).

After removing the plastic top cover under the hood as described in earlier posts on this thread, I took my time cutting and fitting the mesh (final length: 38 1/4"), then carefully curving it until it fit just right, then used the black plastic ties to securely attach it.

I knew you'd be so proud, Clifton!!! Of course, now I have to worry about a 2" rock hurled at the grill at 200mph. Do you think it would stop it???

Last edited by Bucky; 12-01-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
I just used a piece of expanded metal from HD. $11, tin snips, and zip ties.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Bucky
So true-- the difference is that you put your opinion out there as fact, whereas I noted that my opinion was worthless from the onset. lolol You still seem to be determined to be credible.

But you know what? I went to Lowes and found the plastic gutter guard. HOWEVER, I also found a 6"x48" black metal gutter mesh for only $2.48. Then I got some 8" black plastic ties (the tie width JUST small enough to pass through the small grill openings).

After removing the plastic top cover under the hood as described in earlier posts on this thread, I took my time cutting and fitting the mesh (final length: 38 1/4"), then carefully curving it until it fit just right, then used the black plastic ties to securely attach it.

I knew you'd be so proud, Clifton!!! Of course, now I have to worry about a 2" rock hurled at the grill at 200mph. Do you think it would stop it???
Bucky, I'm happy to congratulate you on your good work.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone, I should have stayed out of this thread. I'm an 84 year old guy and should know better than to get myself in a box like this. Thanks for your patience.

Clifton

Old 12-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Bucky, I'm happy to congratulate you on your good work.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone, I should have stayed out of this thread. I'm an 84 year old guy and should know better than to get myself in a box like this. Thanks for your patience.

Clifton
Clifton, I promise you didn't offend me at all. I'm just having some fun with you. But I thought that you'd be happy to see that, given a choice, I went with the stronger metal mesh than the plastic mesh. And by the way, any 84 year old guy who is young enough at heart to browse the internet, forums, etc. has my admiration! At a very young 62, I look upon such 84 year-olds as role models that I'm planning to imitate in a couple of decades!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Bucky, thanks for responding and I really appreciate your comments. Hang in there 20 more years.

Clifton

Old 04-04-2014, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ky1eRC
We will wait patiently for your "A rock ruined my AC condenser!" thread.

Hehehe. 2009 Fit Sport that turned over 90K this morning. A/C would not work yesterday! Guess how I found this old thread?! Getting A/C Condenser repaired on Monday; looking for some kind of 'gutter guard' today!

John

Last edited by JohnTee; 04-04-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:28 AM
condenser damage

I found a three piece Billet Grill insert on Ebay for around $50.00 and ordered it. Received it and it is good quality and looks really nice. I installed it in about 10 minutes (all three pieces) and looks great and protects condenser and radiator from damage.
When I add to my 2007 FIT I like to purchase items which will enhance the looks of it.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
Bucky: I used the same metal black gutter guard that you did, but I simply snipped mine where needed and zip tied it from the outside of my GD. The height of the guard perfectly wedged in (with some minor scratches). I only had to do some snipping around the sides. My car is full of dings, scratches and paint chips, so I do not care about the additional scratches from wedging in the gutter guard. I recently ordered two cans of touch up spray which I will apply where needed. I feel a lot better about our pending cross country move now that the metal guard is in place. Thanks for the photo.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
I used cheap steel mesh from Home Depot, and stainless steel zip ties, also from Home Depot. Should last, and last, and last. Had trouble fitting it up against the grill because of the plastic tabs that extend backwards from, and are part of the lower grill. Instead, I zip-tied it immediately in front of the radiator, using four corner holes present there. IF it doesn't rattle, I'm golden. I popped off the small plastic cowl/surround covering the top of the grill access (six pop fasteners IIRC) as suggested in this thread, and by working one hand down from the top, and one hand through the lower grill, it wasn't too difficult at all, except for getting some scratches on my wrists and arms.

This is a worthy modification. Thanks to everyone who shared their ideas here.

Last edited by Gordon Smith; 05-11-2015 at 09:32 AM. Reason: couple of misspellings