2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Condenser Protection

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 01:38 PM
A couple years ago, this was covered. Plastic screening can be attached inside the bumper without taking it off. Requires a bit of doing and contortions, but small tie wraps attached to some stick on hooks works fine... Total cost...about 8 bucks.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:39 PM
I bolted this on shortly after I purchased my Fit...

https://picasaweb.google.com/pvenne/...67897803997298

Old 03-27-2013, 11:32 AM
I just did mine w the gutter gaurd on the outside like fugisawa. It sure took longer than i thought getting the zip ties through and back. I would suggest starting on one end and working your way down in order to still get your hand back there to feed the zip tie back through. It gets a little difficult when you get near the end of the bottom piece. Overall it's pretty easy once you get in a rythym.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:34 PM
ugh need to do this....just been absolutely slammed at work and life

Old 03-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by DavefromCA
ugh need to do this....just been absolutely slammed at work and life
It's a lot easier, and a bulletproof one-time fix with a billet grille overlay. All of the cheapo plastic gutter guards will get brittle and fall apart from ozone and airborne chemicals (smog) over time. What's the symptom that your "condenser protector plastic screen" has fallen apart? A hole in your condenser. Warning- stay away from Grilles-4-You on eBay motors. Zeta Products carries custom fit stainless steel billet grilles at low prices, but there are a bunch of overlays for sale on eBaymotors.com.

Do this job right, one time, and you never need to do it again.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
ok... ive not done nothing yet.
still nothing.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm sure the billet grill overlays are very nice, but I really doubt the plastic gutter gaurd is going to fall apart from enviromental factors. I know it's not a perfect fix but for three bucks, it's a darn good one. Mines very solid.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Kirkuleez
I'm sure the billet grill overlays are very nice, but I really doubt the plastic gutter gaurd is going to fall apart from enviromental factors. I know it's not a perfect fix but for three bucks, it's a darn good one. Mines very solid.
That depends on the plastic that they are made from. Few of the members who used gutter guard stuff are home owners. If they were, they would have seen how polyethylene & PVC plastic will become curled, crispy and brittle like potato chips. It takes time, but it will happen. Polypropylene resists environmental damage longer, byt it is hard to find. If you can't afford a metal overlay grille, cheap plastic is better than nothing, but eventually it will have to be replaced.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:53 AM
I guess i shall find out, if i even have the car long enough for that to happen. And if i have to re-do it a few yrs. down the road I will. But after putting about a billion zip ties on and tearing up my hands a bit in the proccess, I'll live with what i got for awhile lol!! Thanks for the info though, it's something i never thought about.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Gutter guard install on mine! I used approximately 30 zip ties in total. Half tiny and half medium sized ties. The more ties the more support. Was also able to use them to snug it up really well.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Deleted
Clifton

Last edited by flash75; 12-01-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by flash75
A flying rock can easily cut through gutter guard plastic. It may protect from some small rocks but they probably wouldn't do any damage anyway.
Purely opinion on your part with absolutely no research to back it up, so I'll throw out my equally worthless opinion as follows:

Gutter guard plastic does an excellent job at protecting the condenser from "flying rocks", which is why so many people are installing it. In fact, there are many pictures of intact installed gutter mesh, and not a single one that has a "flying rock" hole in it.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Bucky
Purely opinion on your part with absolutely no research to back it up, so I'll throw out my equally worthless opinion as follows: Gutter guard plastic does an excellent job at protecting the condenser from "flying rocks", which is why so many people are installing it. In fact, there are many pictures of intact installed gutter mesh, and not a single one that has a "flying rock" hole in it.
Haha you hit that right on the nose!

It seems fairly durable for being plastic - it's the small diameter woven-ness that adds strength. It should work fairly well.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
still nothing.
lol, completely forgot about doing this. my 09 and '12 have no issues. i dont think im ever going to do it.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:20 PM
lol, completely forgot about doing this. my 09 and '12 have no issues. i dont think im ever going to do it.
We will wait patiently for your "A rock ruined my AC condenser!" thread.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
1st gen. Fits are a little different. You have to remove the 4 plastic clips that hold on the bumper cover above the upper grilles(2 on each side ) It helps if you do it an a warm sunny day or use a hair dryer to g e n t l y warm that area up. Then just bend it up out of the way so you can get your hands in there. I used some metal lath from Home Depot(because I had some laying around-not cuz I was worried about the strength of plastic)
27 in. x 8 ft. Steel Lath-2.5 METAL LATH at The Home Depot

Painted it flat black so it's not so shiny. Black zip ties. Invisible from 4 ft away.

Last edited by silverback; 11-29-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by Bucky
Purely opinion on your part with absolutely no research to back it up, so I'll throw out my equally worthless opinion as follows:

Gutter guard plastic does an excellent job at protecting the condenser from "flying rocks", which is why so many people are installing it. In fact, there are many pictures of intact installed gutter mesh, and not a single one that has a "flying rock" hole in it.
Deleted
Clifton

Last edited by flash75; 12-01-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
still nothing.
I'm with you kenchan. I gave it the old college try one day, but with the GD, there isn't much room for an adult arm or hands to reach behind the plastic to accomplish this task alone. First I felt like I was going to brake the plastic cover off since removing just the four black push pins hardly provides much of an opening. After shoving a properly sized screen into the general area, there did not seem to be much of a chance to loop my long zip ties in and back around to tie it into place. After 6 years of age and with little to no highway miles to come over the next few years, I too am opting for the "I'll replace it when/if a rock finds its way to my condenser" path of least resistance. I may try putting a hard screen on the outside next time when the weather warms again in a few months, but again, I don't feel that the odds are stacked against me given the car has survived 6+ years without incident.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
I've had gutter guard protecting my condenser for about 4 years now, and for about 80k miles of driving, the lion's share on the highway. So far, it's worked well.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by flash75
Of course it's my opinion, with no research. Where is the research for the opinion that gutter guard will prevent a flying rock form flying through the gutter guard? Photos aren't proof that it has actually been hit with a rock. So we both have opinions without solid research. I did have a flying rock hit my Mazda3 recently, We met a dump truck in a curve, as we passed a rock came from under the truck and hit my car. After stopping and checking for damage I found a dent about 1/4" deep and almost an inch in the windshield pillar. Anyone out there willing to hurl a 1 inch rock toward a gutter guard protector at 100 mph to see if it will protect the condenser? I'm not a volunteer. Clifton
That large of a rock will go right through your chicken wire with ease as well. Only way to prevent that would be to get a legitimate grill.

Quick Reply: Condenser Protection