2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Bad gas mileage already?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:11 AM
Bad gas mileage already?

Hey there. I have had my fit for less than a month with 5000 miles on it. After my recent fill up I started getting 29 mpg. I was averaging 33-35 when I first got it. I do all city driving at this point and I even stopped using the ac. Before I take It into the dealer I want to see if anyone else has had this issue. I use only top tier gas at Quiktrip (where I work) and filled it half way up.

Help? I would hate to have leave it with the dealer for a few days. I love my new fit.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:30 AM
5 Year Member
29MPG City is perfectly fine. If you are doing stop/go on a regular basis I'd expect to get that or less. The Fit excels when you have medium distance trips where 45-50mph is the average speed. If you take it to the dealer, they are going to point to the epa ratings which your car is falling within so they won't do anything. Just keep driving and there's no need to lose the A/C just to save 1mpg.

How do you keep track of your economy? Use an app for a smartphone if you have one or just jot down the odometer reading and amount of fuel used. Reset the Trip meter every fill up and divide the number of miles on the trip meter by the number of gallons you put in. Expect fluctuation from tank to tank in your calculations but the average number should be good. If one fill up is high, the next will likely be low, etc... also remember that the sooner you fill up the tank (say when 1/4 or 1/2 empty), the less accurate the calculation will likely be (and the more fill-ups you'll need to be accurate)

~SB

Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
29MPG City is perfectly fine. If you are doing stop/go on a regular basis I'd expect to get that or less. The Fit excels when you have medium distance trips where 45-50mph is the average speed. If you take it to the dealer, they are going to point to the epa ratings which your car is falling within so they won't do anything. Just keep driving and there's no need to lose the A/C just to save 1mpg.

How do you keep track of your economy? Use an app for a smartphone if you have one or just jot down the odometer reading and amount of fuel used. Reset the Trip meter every fill up and divide the number of miles on the trip meter by the number of gallons you put in. Expect fluctuation from tank to tank in your calculations but the average number should be good. If one fill up is high, the next will likely be low, etc... also remember that the sooner you fill up the tank (say when 1/4 or 1/2 empty), the less accurate the calculation will likely be (and the more fill-ups you'll need to be accurate)

~SB
I was getting 34mpg with stop and go. I live so close to work I literally take one freeway exit and four street lights. And since I filled up I was driving across town via freeway So it should have been better. I'm at a quarter tank now, this time Ill fill up all the way and see what that does.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:09 AM
I do stop and go traffic a lot (I basically drive a few blocks to school and back every day), and I only get ~27mpg at best. I think you have great mpg.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Right but I was getting 34. What changed.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Don't reset it for a while, you may find that it just gets around one solid number. I drive around town sometimes, rarely the city, even when I do the car just always gets around 35 mpg. No big win but no lose either. Actually with that being said, your Fit could be getting use to your commute so now the numbers are beginning to fall, whereas the old owners could have done a lot of highway driving.

Last edited by BlueRaspberryFit; 08-28-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Ladylockness
Right but I was getting 34. What changed.
Temperature, tire pressure, school being back in session putting more cars on the road, you're more used to the car and thus not babying it, lots of things could affect this.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Oh no! Its broken! Take it back! File a lawsuit! Buy a hyundai! But before you do any thing do a google search: fitfreak bad mpg. Here you'll encounter many reasons why no ones jumping on this

Old 08-28-2012, 03:05 PM
I have my 12 Fit MT for a little more than a month now with 1500 miles on it, averaging 36 mpg. 15 miles communte to work with 80 percent highway. i use 87 chervron gas and it has been pretty good with the miles, but i was out the 91 octane from shell, my mgp drop to 32

do you go the the same gas station everytime and pump the same rating?

Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
Temperature, tire pressure, school being back in session putting more cars on the road, you're more used to the car and thus not babying it, lots of things could affect this.
exactly! There are way too many little factors that could contribute to lower mpgs. You'd have to do some scientific experiments to discount all these and more to conclusively say your car is broken. Not to say that your car isn't wonky, but I've personally observed more traffic now that school is back in and I know I'm driving in a more spirited way, now that the engine is broken in.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Piyo2005
I have my 12 Fit MT for a little more than a month now with 1500 miles on it, averaging 36 mpg. 15 miles communte to work with 80 percent highway. i use 87 chervron gas and it has been pretty good with the miles, but i was out the 91 octane from shell, my mgp drop to 32

do you go the the same gas station everytime and pump the same rating?
I've only used the basic grade of gas I think it's 89. And yeah same station. Only thing that has changed is that I took all my hubcaps off

Oh I also only drive between the hours of 10pm n 6am

Old 08-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Depending on the exact driving conditions, high 20s is not entirely out of line for city conditions, and certainly within a reasonable range of the EPA estimate.

I would check oil, ATF, and tire pressure to be sure all are ok. Beyond that, it's hard to say that something is "wrong" with the numbers you give.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 PM
In for another 30 page thread

The smallest things seem to effect gas mileage on the Fit. I was in the 40mpg crew not too long ago, but recently i've only been netting about 35mpg. I am blaming it on the hotter weather recently and i've had to change my commute a bit to drop my daughter off at her new school (started kindergarten!). I've also switched back to 5W20 instead of 0W20 because of the hotter weather and some pretty gridlocked commutes i've been running into since school started up again.

I will say for city driving, I am not suprised at 29mpg, every time I go into San Francisco proper and drive around my instant MPG gauge drops like a rock.

The Fit loves slow highway commuting the most.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
did someone recently change their eating habits?

29mpg isn't too bad. if you're driving around with a/c off and window open, there's your problem.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Those darn variables

I've noticed significant drops in MPG when 1) I don't drive on the highway as much 2) when I have the AC on and 3) when there's numerous stop lights on my route. Not sure why you would have a drop in MPG on the same route unless AC and more traffic stops have a part to play. It's fascinating watching the MPG gauge, that's for sure.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 PM
I'll average 35mpg driving mostly on the freeway, but move it into the city I'll average 27-29mpg depending on how heavy my foot is.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 PM
At first I was getting probably around 32mpg and All I drive is high way and I wasn't sure why i wasn't getting higher. Plus, I was driving less than 70mph. This past trip I learned that when you step on acceleration to speed up and you don't completely take your foot off the pedal, the engine is still running at high RPM inside the engine. When you completely take your foot off acceleration then place back, your car will run at lower rpm thus saving gas. I was able to hit 40mpg on my 60mile commute 1 way. I hope this helped. I drive a 2012 Fit Sport M/T

Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by TurboDatFit
At first I was getting probably around 32mpg and All I drive is high way and I wasn't sure why i wasn't getting higher. Plus, I was driving less than 70mph. This past trip I learned that when you step on acceleration to speed up and you don't completely take your foot off the pedal, the engine is still running at high RPM inside the engine. When you completely take your foot off acceleration then place back, your car will run at lower rpm thus saving gas. I was able to hit 40mpg on my 60mile commute 1 way. I hope this helped. I drive a 2012 Fit Sport M/T
This is true! Honda's are very pedal sensitive, one reason why they always get such great gas mileage. I had to set my information screen on my miles, I was getting too distracted with how good my mpg was, though I think I'll switch it back now that we're on this subject. The A/C is good at higher speeds, less drag. But if you're just cruising around town, put the windows down. Idk if I'd wanna do that in Phoenix in the summer though!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ladylockness
Hey there. I have had my fit for less than a month with 5000 miles on it. After my recent fill up I started getting 29 mpg. I was averaging 33-35 when I first got it. I do all city driving at this point and I even stopped using the ac. Before I take It into the dealer I want to see if anyone else has had this issue. I use only top tier gas at Quiktrip (where I work) and filled it half way up.

Help? I would hate to have leave it with the dealer for a few days. I love my new fit.
Fill up the car and take a trip on the Highway going the speed limit about 45 minutes out and return to same station and fill up. I bet your mpg will be back to normal.

A few things is confusing me. I guess your car was a demo. 5000 miles in a month is a lot for city driving. I also noticed your driving at night so the lights are on, that is about 10-15 percent lost in mpg but you have the cooler temps at night to help off set that.

Knock might be a issue but before I say that try a different brand. Look for ethanol free gasoline too. That will help in restoring your mpg. If all that does not help you can try a fuel injection cleaner before taking it back to the dealer. I like Redline complete fuel injection cleaner but it might be hard to find. You only need a few ounces to a full tank. Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gasoline Fuel Additives - SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner

Old 08-29-2012, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I also noticed your driving at night so the lights are on, that is about 10-15 percent lost in mpg but you have the cooler temps at night to help off set that.
Citation? I just don't buy that.

Quick Reply: Bad gas mileage already?