2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

7 Months Of Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Angry 7 Months Of Ownership

Well after 7 months of ownership my new 2012 Fit Sport has cost me a few $$. I have had to replace the RH lower skirt due to road debris scraping the crap out of it to the tune of $250. And now a LH foglight broken from even more road debris. I think this is an unavoidable fact of ownership being how low on the car the items are. However, I have done some some research and Honda is NOT very nice on the foglight subject...shocking. They seem to only service as complete assemblies....convienient. So, this is what I have found out...Honda is WAY too expensive so I am going to attempt aftermarket...far be it from being a warranty item. Here is what I found out...

2009-2012 (Base)
Foglamp Kit: 08V31-TK6-100

OEM P/N's (Base Lamp Housing Only)
08V31-S5D-1M102 & 08V31-S5D-1M101

Aftermarket P/N's (Base Lamp Housing Only)
Action Crash Parts: AC2592106 & AC2953106

Aftermarket P/N's (2009-2011 Sport Complete Assemblies)
TYC Genera: 19-5940-00 & 19-5939-00
Partslink: HO2593122 & HO2592122

OEM P/N's (2009-2011 Sport Complete Assemblies)
33951-TK6-305 & 33901-TK6-305

Aftermarket P/N's (2012 Sport Complete Assemblies)
TYC Genera: 19-6001-00 & 19-6002-00
Partslink: HO2953130 & HO2592130

OEM P/N's (2012 Sport Complete Assemblies)
33952-TK6-A51 & 33902-TK6-A51

However, I ordered aftermarket from Action Crash Parts and got a LH & RH for $98 shipped. Come to find out, these are for Base kits and the listing is in error. Lesson learned and now just need to return them. I am going to try the TYC next. It IS in fact for the Sport and have photos to prove it from their website. Me personally, it is an unavoidable reality due to the foglamp location. I will keep you all posted on whether they are a good fit or trash. If they are junk, I will get a refund and try again.

Last edited by rcbanni; 09-02-2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Inaccurate Information
Old 08-28-2012, 01:14 AM
I'm coming up on 9 months on my new Fit and have had no problems, beyond a small nick on the hood paint. I've heard of the fog lights getting damaged easily, but haven't gotten around to getting some clear protectors over them.

In all honesty, I've been daily driving my old prelude pretty hard for 16 years before getting the Fit and have had no road debris damage beyond paint chips. That thing is low to the ground with bigger, more exposed fog lights. I think you just have bad luck, but I also think the Fit is made of lighter, thinner metal/plastic and just less solid/robust.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry about the fog lights, but you are certainly not alone on this subject. I had my car for 3 months and both my fog lights had been cracked from stones kicking up against them. Honda quoted me R2500 ($297) each to have them replaced! I almost had heart failure. So I left them and tried to Lamin X them to try and protect them for as long as I could. When I had my accident, fortunately the insurance assessor added them to the claim so I got a brand new set. This time round I installed a simple plastic cover to put over them to protect them. I haven't looked back since putting these on, maybe you can source something similar there?

Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Unavoidable? Clearbra the lens & surround and back off the car in front.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Low slung? I don't know why every one thinks the stock ride hight is so low. My car has 4" or less of ground clearance. Other then occanional scrapping of the bottom of the front lip I have never had any problems. Sucks about the fog light as well. Again I guess I have been luck as to never have had that issue

Last edited by MNfit; 08-28-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Posted from phone, fixing auto correct
Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Had my Fit since March 2011.

No issues except for small marks from a door ding in a parking
lot that buffing pretty much removed.

I stay off gravel roads and give a wide berth to vehicles in front
and even wider berth to trucks.

Plenty of road debris here in Texas... mostly metal bits has been
my experience. Caught one of those bits in a tire that resulted in
a slow leak. Discount fixed that for free.

My advice is to protect your AC condensor, flog lights and pay
attention to the road debris.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
Low slung? I don't know why every one thinks the stock ride hit is so low. My car has 4" or less of ground clearance. Biddies the occanional scrapping of the bottom of the front lip I have never had any problems. Sucks about the fog light as well. Again I guess I have been luck as to never have had that issue
yah, agreed... considering we have other modded cars, the stock (even swift spring GE's) aren't low at all. but then again if one's offroading the car...

Old 08-28-2012, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
So am I understanding the OP correctly...Are they blaming Honda for all this? I have an 09 and i just got a crack in my fog lights about 3 months ago and I'm lowered on sportlines!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:03 AM
My foglight has cracked also from a rock or something of the sort - realized it comes with having a vehicle that I drive on a daily basis on the highway through road construction - I wouldnt blame Honda for that...

Old 08-29-2012, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Suzi_q
Sorry about the fog lights, but you are certainly not alone on this subject. I had my car for 3 months and both my fog lights had been cracked from stones kicking up against them. Honda quoted me R2500 ($297) each to have them replaced! I almost had heart failure. So I left them and tried to Lamin X them to try and protect them for as long as I could. When I had my accident, fortunately the insurance assessor added them to the claim so I got a brand new set. This time round I installed a simple plastic cover to put over them to protect them. I haven't looked back since putting these on, maybe you can source something similar there?
Did you make these foglight protectors?

Old 08-29-2012, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Yes OP it's totally the car's fault you tards keep running into things.

The problem is the meat interface.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Yes OP it's totally the car's fault you tards keep running into things.

The problem is the meat interface.
Lets start by...nice Solid Model of a gas turbine. However, my comment about the car being low slung is NOT about the ride height of the vehicle but the proximity of the fog lamps to the ground...VERY low and unprotected. This seems it is going to be a work in progress to get them protected in some fashion. But, until then it will be an added expense of ownership. I am very particular and it running around with a cracked foglamp is not my style...replace quickly. I think it was BS on Honda's part to NOT list just the BASIC part I needed to fix it and had to sleuth for hours to find out it was available the whole time. Unfortunately, aftermarket prices won out over OEM. Here in CA...the state is broke and the roads are crumbling to pieces. VERY hard to avoid what is being kicked up in front of you. I am NOT a tailgater and give a wide berth between vehicles due to the unpredictability of the psycho idiot drivers out here. It is what it is... On a lighter note, I am VERY happy with the car and have really no complaints. The whole point was to pass on some good information. Meat interface...really? I call my pilots meat servos...

Old 08-30-2012, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
hitting road debris and getting rocks to break fog lights?

sounds to me liek both problems could of been avoided by not tailgating. leave some more room and youll see what your about to run over as well as let all the rocks thrown from teh car infront of you fall under your car.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
To the OP
I live in an area where roads up are brutal as well with construction and dirt all over the place. I'm glad you found aftermarket replacements for cheap. Just remember to protect the lenses with clear bra or something. I went to a local tint shop and got a roll of 3m for free lol. I double layered my
Foglights with that stuff and reinstalled the lights, no cracks so far!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
I have had other cars that were lowered with fog lights never had one crack or broken by debris. My last car had for 6 years and 120k no problems. But on the forum for the 9th gen Corolla other owners were experiencing damage to their foglights. This time I got the fog light protectors from Headlight Armor just to be safe.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rcbanni
Lets start by...nice Solid Model of a gas turbine. However, my comment about the car being low slung is NOT about the ride height of the vehicle but the proximity of the fog lamps to the ground...VERY low and unprotected. This seems it is going to be a work in progress to get them protected in some fashion. But, until then it will be an added expense of ownership. I am very particular and it running around with a cracked foglamp is not my style...replace quickly. I think it was BS on Honda's part to NOT list just the BASIC part I needed to fix it and had to sleuth for hours to find out it was available the whole time. Unfortunately, aftermarket prices won out over OEM. Here in CA...the state is broke and the roads are crumbling to pieces. VERY hard to avoid what is being kicked up in front of you. I am NOT a tailgater and give a wide berth between vehicles due to the unpredictability of the psycho idiot drivers out here. It is what it is... On a lighter note, I am VERY happy with the car and have really no complaints. The whole point was to pass on some good information. Meat interface...really? I call my pilots meat servos...
Chicago roads are atrocious for the most part and not once have I had an issue with the fogs and rocks..

I have had the car for 4 years.

I am also lower than stock, ergo my fog lights are closer to the ground.

Any of what you posted is available at college hills or bernardi honda online, so I am not sure what sleuthing was required.

Film the lights if you are concerned.

Cheers

Old 08-30-2012, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
lol nothing on the Fit is low slung.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Had my Fit since May 2007 - no fog light damage yet! Keeping fingers crossed it never happens. I avoid interstate when possible, try not to follow the person in front too close and go slow over any gravel surface.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
I have updated my oroginal post...some inaccurate info. was posted and I have corrected it...sorry.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Chicago roads are atrocious for the most part and not once have I had an issue with the fogs and rocks..

I have had the car for 4 years.

I am also lower than stock, ergo my fog lights are closer to the ground.

Any of what you posted is available at college hills or bernardi honda online, so I am not sure what sleuthing was required.

Film the lights if you are concerned.

Cheers
The sleuthing was an attempt to find out if Honda was just hiding the part number or to see that in fact this is the only way to get it from Honda. In fact, it is only available as an assembly from Honda or aftermarket. So, I will get the part, bite the bullet and Headlight Armor both of them.

Quick Reply: 7 Months Of Ownership