2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Decisions,decisions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Arrow Decisions,decisions....

Don't own a Fit at the moment, but I'm thinking about getting one. I now have a 2010 Nissan Altima SL with all the bells and whistles. I'm looking to down-size into something smaller and more economical with gas. My questions would be for the "older" group on here. I'm 65 and I'm wondering what you all think about getting in and out of the Fit? Is it low to the ground? I have yet to go look at them and try it out. The size and styling is just what I'm looking for. Would appreciate any feedback. This seems like really good site, and I'm glad I found it!

Old 08-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Hi bud.just what to say ,WELCOME. I am 79 old, & love my 2010 Fit Sport. I am 6'2 & have no trbl. In or out. Just love to drive it. Good luck. Dave.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Thank you for the welcome! I'm a 65 year old female with periodic back problems, so I'm hoping the Fit would be easy to get in and out of.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
since the floor is fairly low i think you will be fine getting in and out. they really improved the suspension on the 2012's vs the earlier 2009-2011(?). it's very comfy...well, too comfy for me that i changed out the springs to something stiffer. i also own a 2009 which is almost boreline bouncy feel on the suspension.

i suggest you test drive one and also sit in one for a good 5-10min. the height on the seat is not adjustable and it may/may not work for some. the ticket for me was to pull the seat back a notch vs where i would normally sit, pull the steering all the way telescoped towards you, and sit more upright. the built-in arm rest is nice too.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
The Geriatric page by the looks of it.

I am 70 and a Freak of 3 yrs. Soso back.

I found adding a washer or two under the front seat bolts tipped the seat back a bit. Also putting the spring on gas pedal to add some resistance helped not having to try and hold foot up off the pedal whcih can aggravate the old sciatic nerve in a hurry.

Hardest thing is contorting to get under the dash at fuse box to make all those modifications. They should come with a small young person to do those things for us.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
The Geriatric page by the looks of it.

I am 70 and a Freak of 3 yrs. Soso back.

I found adding a washer or two under the front seat bolts tipped the seat back a bit. Also putting the spring on gas pedal to add some resistance helped not having to try and hold foot up off the pedal whcih can aggravate the old sciatic nerve in a hurry.

Hardest thing is contorting to get under the dash at fuse box to make all those modifications. They should come with a small young person to do those things for us.
hahahha!! im in my 40's but i too feel that sometimes when i need to wire up something behind the steering console. one time i laid on my back on the floor with back arched over the door sill looking up....and i was like ... ooooo~ im never going to get out of here.

then wife said 'pizza's ready' and i was outta there in no time.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
hahahha!! im in my 40's but i too feel that sometimes when i need to wire up something behind the steering console. one time i laid on my back on the floor with back arched over the door sill looking up....and i was like ... ooooo~ im never going to get out of here.

then wife said 'pizza's ready' and i was outta there in no time.

!!!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Is 60 old? We have 2 and there both great. A bit lower than our fullsize truck. You'll get used to it.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
I am 63, soon to be 64. Fit is just the right height for me. I had a Subaru Legacy Wagon before and it was a bit too low, same with my son's Toyota Corolla- harder on my knees to get in and out of both of those cars.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Hello!
Actually, you will like the seating position of the Fit. You sit upright in the fit, like you would in a chair or a larger SUV... which is unlike most cars of this size. The suspension is a little unforgiving for some, but I have heard that that the new models are softer.

The best part about this car is that it has an extremely solid frame. You can load the car up with stuff, and there is little to no shift or wobble that are associated with a less stiff chassis.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
So I am not exactly old but I've had back & neck problems that come and go in severity since I was 22. So I am not looking for luxury seating, but being "normal" comfortable is literally the #1 thing if I'm going to plunk down dollars for a car.

Getting in and out - not a problem for most. VERY large front door openings. My mom (yeah, she counts as older now) has liked the big cars for a while, claiming it's the height, but she got in my car and was really impressed by the ease of access - even though I would say the car is below-average seating height. The only thing I'd highlight is the Sport has bolstered seats that make it a little more difficult.

Seat comfort - for me, nearly perfect. I like a lot of lumbar support and to sit pretty upright. If you like to hunch forward like a T-Rex, then you'll find the lumbar intrusive; many people comment to that effect and I attribute it to the T-Rex position that most office workers adopt permanently after 30 years at their desks :P

As always, check it out yourself. Because I have only MY opinions and you will have your own. Obviously everyone should try to get a car (and an easy chair!) that fits their body

Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Well hate to be a combo breaker - but I'm 22 with scoliosis and I LOVE the seats they support very well especially on long car rides went from a 93 accord lol

Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whitefish
Don't own a Fit at the moment, but I'm thinking about getting one. I now have a 2010 Nissan Altima SL with all the bells and whistles. I'm looking to down-size into something smaller and more economical with gas. My questions would be for the "older" group on here. I'm 65 and I'm wondering what you all think about getting in and out of the Fit? Is it low to the ground? I have yet to go look at them and try it out. The size and styling is just what I'm looking for. Would appreciate any feedback. This seems like really good site, and I'm glad I found it!

I'm 75 and have no trouble getting in or out or driving.You should enjoy it.
ps I also had an altima and had no trouble adapting to the Fit.
Yes this is a good site to get answers or info; probably the best one. We have people here on about every auto site and the agreement in unofficail honda fit site is the best one.
And if you want to make somedthing more to your liking there is none better for aftermarket than honda, including Fits. None better.

Last edited by mahout; 08-24-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Another old fart chiming in: The reason I bought the Fit is I just regained my license after a stroke 1.5 years ago...and having tried a number of cars, the Fit was the easiest small car for me to get in and out of...much easier than my daughter's 2012 VW Jetta for instance. A small SUV would/could/might be a bit easier, but I wanted the efficiency and CHEAP PRICE of a subcompact...otherwise I can use my 2002 Ford Explorer.

I do have mobility problems, and sometimes if I don't plop downfar enough into the driver seat it is difficult for me to leverage myself in and slide into the proper driving position. That's why I have a set of leather CoverKing seat covers thru Costco on the way...will be easier to slide into the seat. Went with CoverKing over Clazzios due to wait time: 15 WEEKS for grey (China made) Clazzios, 15 DAYS for (US made) Coverkings. ("Honey, I NEED the leather seats cuz I had a stroke.")

Get the Fit. It will work.

Paul H (see my early post today showing my wheelchair folded behind the upright rear seats.)

Old 08-25-2012, 07:31 AM
I'm 55 soon to be 56... I'm one of the younger older crowd.

I have back issues, arthritis and stand at 6' tall.

The Fit is one of the easiest vehicles to get in/out of that
I have owned. You will find yourself seated more upright in
the Fit that many other vehicles.

I was skeptical of this prior to my purchase so about 6-months
in advance before I settled on the Fit I visited the showroom
for a test fit of myself in the vehicle.

I highly recommend you do the same because what works for
others may not necessarily work for you. If that works then the
next step would be a test drive and longer session in the seat.

I have no regrets about my Fit purchase.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
I'm 64 and a personal fitness trainer. I run a couple of boot camps on the weekends. The Fit serves me well in carrying all the hand weights, cones, medicine balls, agility ladder, mats, water, and all that other miscellaneous gear needed to run the boot camps. (also makes a great place to crash when the younger clients wear me down). During the week, I commute 72 miles daily round trip to my real job. The seats actually provide reasonable back support. I keep them in a fairly upright position.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm in my mid thirties, but experienced some back problems in the past due to lifting heavy things improperly. The fit is very easy to get in and out of ( im of average height and build 5' 9" 145 lbs), I do not find that the car is too low at all. All the doors open very wide almost perpendicular to the body when you have them open all the way. The cushioning on the seats are kind of hard and there is no lumbar adjustment like others cars have. For short trips this may not be an issue but for longer trips I find that my back gets sore and stiffer after prolonged sitting. This may be also due to the fit having a stiffer ride than my old maxima.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi, I'm 62 and have had my 2012 Fit Sport for 2.5 months now. I don't think you will have problems getting in and out of a Fit. The ride is not going to be as comfortable as an Altima. I feel it's a very stiff frame on the Fit and you feel the bumps more. Keep in my the Fit is a very practical econobox with a tiny little engine.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:36 PM
I want to thank everyone so far for your input on the comfort of the Fit. I'll be checking it out soon. I hope my back will like it!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
im going to try this trick when i get home. the pedal return spring trick does help quite a bit. thanks

Quick Reply: Decisions,decisions....