2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Decisions,decisions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
I went from a 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE (V6 without the bells/whistles) and I love the change. The altima was a bit quieter and a bit more comfortable for longer rides but I missed "Driving". The Altima was Numb and I was "Riding" in it every where I went. switching back to a smaller car with a 5MT was like getting back into my old Integra and once again, I was "Driving" everywhere.

For most longer trips, we have the Ridgeline but with the Economy of the Fit and the "Fun Factor", not to mention the $200/month less we were paying, it was the right choice for us. we have to get out and stretch every few hours but it isn't too bad and definitely not something that is a deal breaker.

Oh, and it seems i one of the younger crowd chiming in here at 38.

~SB

Old 08-27-2012, 08:06 PM
And here I thought the older crowd stayed with big iron, like Cadillacs, Lincoln Town Cars, big Chyslers, or for the really well off, a Mercedes.

I bought a used Lincoln Town Car that I loved when I was 53. But it was 17 years old with bad paint and non functioning AC by the time I had a stroke, and rather than let it rust away while I couldn't drive I sold it for pennies, so it would be one less thing to deal with. Actually a newer version would have pleased me, but I could envision the air suspension going out, the transmission needing a rebuild at 112,000 miles, etc. And can no longer do any of that stuff myself.

So instead I looked at new vehicles once DMV and my doctors said I could again drive, as my maintaining all my family's vehicles days are past...hard to do one handed, and needing an engine hoist to get me off the ground if I'm foolish enough to go under a car to do an oil change!

So against my cheap hating-depreciation (unless incurred by the previous owner of a car I'm buying) nature, I found myself shopping for a brand new car, hopefully not needing anything but oil changes for a number of years, for the first time since 1985.

And my Fit fits all my criteria, as well as bringing back happy days when all I could afford and loved driving were small lightweight cars. And it appears many of my 60+ peers feel the same way about them.

Still loving going for the Fit instead of some other also nice cars considered!

Paul H

Old 08-28-2012, 05:07 PM
I had an '85 Honda Civic 5speed years ago and I loved that thing! It never broke down, always started. When I got rid of it it had well over 100,000 miles on it. It would be fun to drive MT again, altho it's been well over 20 years since I have. Plus I don't know if my back would like the clutch so well, but it would be fun again!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whitefish
I had an '85 Honda Civic 5speed years ago and I loved that thing! It never broke down, always started. When I got rid of it it had well over 100,000 miles on it. It would be fun to drive MT again, altho it's been well over 20 years since I have. Plus I don't know if my back would like the clutch so well, but it would be fun again!
My first car was an 86 Prelude Si2.0 5sp and it ran to 196,000 miles before I traded it. engine would have gone forever but with a Black/Black car, A Blown air conditioner, and a new Job that paid pretty well, it was time for a replacement. Still Miss that Car.

~SB