2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

bumper protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 PM
bumper protection

hello all, just picked up my new Fit yesturday and came to notice how paranoid i am at leaving it parked on the block than my previous car. no matter how much space I leave for other's to park in front/behind my previous car I still see marks. I dont have a garage so i couldn't do anything about that in the past, but didn't bother me because it's a pretty old used car. I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions recommendations on bumper protectors, or maybe leaving a long tow hook installed front and back (seeing how this was suggested before while searching the forums)

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2012, 12:05 AM
hmmmmm........

Maybe you need this.......

Old 08-23-2012, 12:13 AM
haha, old 1 but good. unfortunately for that I'd pretty much have to live in my fit as the switch for the flame is inside and not on the bumper :P

Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SieGunso
hello all, just picked up my new Fit yesturday and came to notice how paranoid i am at leaving it parked on the block than my previous car. no matter how much space I leave for other's to park in front/behind my previous car I still see marks. I dont have a garage so i couldn't do anything about that in the past, but didn't bother me because it's a pretty old used car. I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions recommendations on bumper protectors, or maybe leaving a long tow hook installed front and back (seeing how this was suggested before while searching the forums)

Thanks!
I got 2" wide colored rubber strips (they are 1/4" inch thick) from bumperdefender.com. They are not as glossy as the Fit, so they stand out a little, but the color matched pretty closely. Easy to install if you warm them up in a sunny spot first. I did partially cover the tow hook holes, but I did not allow the adhesive backing to stick to the tow hook hole covers. I don't think I'll ever need to access the tow hook holes anyway. The bumper defender strips have already taken some hits from other cars, and protected the bumpers.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:35 AM
thanks for the suggestion! but unfortunately it will do no good in nyc or in my area. I live 1 block away from 2 public schools so there are not only A LOT of double parking but also A LOT of mini vans/trucks/SUV's and just recently a couple of 8-12 passenger vans. I am scouting around my area if someone wouldn't mind letting me rent their garage space but until then those might not be enough

Old 08-23-2012, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
You can always go with the super ugly but effective http://www.bumperbully.com/"]bumper bully

Old 08-23-2012, 12:52 AM
i was actually thinking more in line of these

NYC Parking Garages - Bumper Protection, Bumper Protectors, Rear Bumper Guards

as it'll be hanging out overnight when I leave the car parked I could care less about what anybody else thinks. it's at least imo better than driving around a new car with a huge scratch on the bumpers because some people cant seem to parallel. but I like options

Old 08-23-2012, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
could always have the front adn rear bumpers wrapped in the 3m clearbra. not sure how hard your getting bumped, but for a very minor rub, it will protect.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
how about just get some generic rubber mat and hang them from the trunk lid using a strap? much cheaper than buying official ugly rubber mats with metal straps inside. who's going to steal that anyway?

if your car is lighter color, i recommend you get clear mats. rubber tends outgas causing plastics and paint to stain sometimes.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:51 PM
I had a clear bra put on the rear bumper, and I use the bumper bully as well. For the front, I see some people with BumpShox, but I found this
Amazon.com: 4Bumpers® THE BEST SOLID STEEL BUMPER PROTECTOR: Automotive Amazon.com: 4Bumpers® THE BEST SOLID STEEL BUMPER PROTECTOR: Automotive
I use it with the protruding part up top. It already saved my hood and grill from some dick with a beat up Ford Explorer who backed right into it. Even though his bumper was higher than it, his tow hitch area hit it and saved my front end. It does get some funny looks from people walking in front of me though.
That parking garage protector looks like a real PITA to put on and off, while the bumper bully is a quick flip in or out of the hatch. Either one is a target for theft.
Not sure where in NYC you are, but if you are parking on the street in Manhattan it's inevitable that your car will get destroyed.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
^^^ huh, never seen that plate frame bumper. nice advice to those in the city. for the most part, that might just be enough.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Hey thanks for all these suggestions guys!

I live in the middle of the Homecrest area in brooklyn, and also it's a TW Fit! so i dont think any colors would turn it into a vomit of rainbows. I didn't know they made clear bumper mats for cars, i always see them in either black or dark grey.