2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Proper tire inflation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 04:47 PM
One good thing about the old pencil tire gauges...you'll never pull it out to find the battery is dead and it's useless, like digital ones. :}

Paul H

I've used high quality round ones with a tail, like listed previously in this thread. I bought a round one with a bleed off valve for my fit, at my local auto parts store. Not super accurate, but not expensive either, and it's good enough for my purposes.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, but a typical car guy like me has several gauges...

Old 08-23-2012, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
just browsed the thread.... could have been answered already.

i have had the tpms pressure light come on from overinflation.
as mentioned, drop them down to 35psi...the light should go off after a little driving

FYI, there is a seperate light for a tpms error with the system, lights up with the letters TPMS, so the balloon looking tire only comes on when ther eis a pressure issue, not a broken sensor.
Nighthawk, IIRC, you aren't running a GE8, Correct? I don't belive the FIT Sport has a High pressure sensor, just low. Other cars have it but I'm 99% sure the fit isn't one of them. Is your current Ride still the 350 or is there another vehicle?

~SB

Old 08-23-2012, 05:44 PM
What a coincidence! My low pressure just turned on today. I blame the extreme drop in temperature the last 24 hours. All month it has been 100+. Then yesterday a storm rolls through, dropping our temp by about 40degs. I checked the tires and they were all at 25psi. I inflated to only about 32psi, because I figure the temps will go back up to 100+ in a day or two, which should heat up my tires again, which which gather should add pressure. Was it okay that i did this?

Old 08-23-2012, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
I keep mine at 35psi, and check weekly with an Accutire digital gauge. While I'm at it, I check all fluids- legacy of having driven older, less reliable cars....

Old 08-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by E_Honda
Anyone have a reccomendation on a good tire pressure gage? Thanks.
Tire gauges are fine but what happens when you need air? Forget driving to the gas station. I bought one of these for $60.

MotoMaster 12V Programmable Air Compressor | Canadian Tire

It allows me to check and inflate my tires anywhere I am since it plugs into your 12V outlet. I keep it under the cargo cover.

It's actually quite small

Whatever model you go with make sure you take it to your dealer and have them check the calibration. That way you will know for sure if it is accurate.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
Tire gauges are fine but what happens when you need air? Forget driving to the gas station. I bought one of these for $60.

MotoMaster 12V Programmable Air Compressor | Canadian Tire

It allows me to check and inflate my tires anywhere I am since it plugs into your 12V outlet. I keep it under the cargo cover.

It's actually quite small

Whatever model you go with make sure you take it to your dealer and have them check the calibration. That way you will know for sure if it is accurate.
huh, that looks awesome. how's the reliability on that compressor?

i use to have a fancy one similar to that and it died in 2yrs. i currently use this orange pos looking thing and it's been working great for 4yrs+ you can also set the dial to stop at a certain psi as well. i pump a few psi higher, then i use my digital gauge with release valve to set it perfect to where i want.

Amazon.com: Black & Decker ASI300 Air Station Inflator - Electric Air Compressor: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Black & Decker ASI300 Air Station Inflator - Electric Air Compressor: Home Improvement

as for calibration, you can check the same tire with a few gauges. i have like 5 gauges of different shapes and they all are within 0.2 psi of each other. i tossed a pen gauge as it wasn't very accurate at all.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
btw, the one i show runs on 120v. i have a compact 12v one in the car.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:26 AM
FYI, not related to OP's issue but wanted to pass along.

I've read that most TPMS systems also warn for a specific delta or difference in pressure between individual tires. Say the recommended pressure is 33psi then your TPMS light probably comes on at 25-27 psi for a low pressure warning. But if 3 tires were at 40 psi and one was at 33 psi it would also come on do to uneven pressure. Not sure if this applies to the Fit's system though. I looked but couldn't find anything about it.

_

Old 08-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
FYI, not related to OP's issue but wanted to pass along.

I've read that most TPMS systems also warn for a specific delta or difference in pressure between individual tires. Say the recommended pressure is 33psi then your TPMS light probably comes on at 25-27 psi for a low pressure warning. But if 3 tires were at 40 psi and one was at 33 psi it would also come on do to uneven pressure. Not sure if this applies to the Fit's system though. I looked but couldn't find anything about it.

_
That might have once been true, but isn't anymore. Older TPMS systems used data from the antilock brakes system to measure rotational speeds of the wheels. Higher pressure wheels will have slightly higher circumferences, and rotate slightly slower. Modern TMPS systems use a sensor in each wheel to directly measure the air pressure.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by agios11
I am no expert on the mechanics of a car, but my 2010 Fit had the low tire pressure light come on the day after I bought it! I did what I was taught to do. I looked at the PSI recommendation on the tires and filled them all up to that number with my tire inflator. Well, it says 51 PSI on the tires, but the other day I saw a sticker on the door that says to inflate to 33 PSI. So, my tires have been at 50 PSI for 2 weeks now. Is that bad? Anyone know what my tires should be inflated to? They also had Nitrogen in them, but obviously they now have regular air also.

The label 33 to 35 psi is good street pressures; you haven't damaged your tires running at 50 psi; racers and autocrossers do it all the time to get siffer tire shape and adhesion. The 51 psi is recommended maximum for comfort and performance.
air is 79% N2; 21% O2; the only advantage to N2 is the lesser expansion with heat, good in racing but not for street. N2 has a bigger molecule than O2 so the N2 weeps thru the tire carcass much slower than O2. Again its only use in long time storage.
Stick with air.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Were using 47psi auto crossing. Nice still sidewall and some wheelspeed to boot.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:41 PM
regarding some of the 12v compressors available: An old BMW motorcycle trick to save space: Most of these have plastic outer shells for appearance and protection from high temperatures generated while working to inflate your tires. But you can split the case and discard it, leaving a small metal motor, connecting rod, and compressor unit. Takes up much less space: mine would fit in the tailpiece behind the rear of my BMW R1100RT seats. Just be aware parts move very quickly and get SUPER HOT, so when using it put it on the ground and don't try handling it. Will free up space at your spare...put it in an old lg sock or wrap in a towel so grease dosen't dirty your other stuff.