2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Interior cleaner experiences

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Interior cleaner experiences

When I bought my Fit late last year, I used some Armor All on it, and I noticed the piece on top of the dash between the gauge visor and A-pillar became discolored and overly dry, especially around the circular vent, which at the time was blowing out hot air which probably contributed to the dryness. Well since then, I washed the dash real well and have started using turtle wax, worked nice but got tired of spraying it on a towel so then I started using Meguiars Quick Interior wipes, which work very well and smell nice in comparison. They're non-greasy as well. That spot isn't discolored anymore and the dryness is gone. But I've also stopped using the Meguiars. I just don't like plastic/vinyl cleaners anymore, especially if they contain alcohol. I just don't trust alcohol because it can lead to dry rot, and with the Fit having a plastic dash this is something you want to avoid. In the final sense, I wouldn't recommend any interior cleaner except water on a terry cloth then follow up with a microfiber towel, and if you like the nice look, use Meguiars, NOT armor all. IMPO something about anything shinny on the interior just doesn't look good in the Fit anyways, it really brings out the plasticy look and will come out blotchy unless you rub it in good and take forever using 10 wipes a job. It's also useless to the silver accenting everywhere, or black accenting to you 12/13 sport owners, as it just smears everywhere. ANYWAYS, what do you use in your Fit for a cleaner??

Last edited by BlueRaspberryFit; 08-19-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Mild soap and water is all you should ever have to use on your interior

Old 08-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Water, soap, and a towel.

A good man once told me that Armor-all is for people who hate cars.

I admit I have used it once or twice, but I don't like the greasy or shiney look at all.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Water, soap, and a towel.

A good man once told me that Armor-all is for people who hate cars.

I admit I have used it once or twice, but I don't like the greasy or shiney look at all.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...all-video.html

post #6 :P

Old 08-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i hate armorall..it's imho garbage.

i use Prima Nero for interior, diluted 50/50 with water. dries matte. you can source it from amazon or www.detailersdomain.com

use microfiber towel (short thread) to apply. apply while the car is brand new as it prevents scuffs.
i coated my 12's interior the day i took delivery.

the next best thing is Aerospace303. you can also use diluted with water as both are water based. GL!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 AM
That stuff looks great, pricey though. I'm okay with just water, I'd like to invest in a dash mat eventually anyways.
Originally Posted by kenchan
i hate armorall..it's imho garbage.

i use Prima Nero for interior, diluted 50/50 with water. dries matte. you can source it from amazon or www.detailersdomain.com

use microfiber towel (short thread) to apply. apply while the car is brand new as it prevents scuffs.
i coated my 12's interior the day i took delivery.

the next best thing is Aerospace303. you can also use diluted with water as both are water based. GL!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueRaspberryFit
That stuff looks great, pricey though. I'm okay with just water, I'd like to invest in a dash mat eventually anyways.
one bottle of Nero usually lasts me about 2yrs. i dont need to re-apply too often.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:21 AM
I use DP total interior cleaner, no product to follow it up. Will knock out tough stains, caked on dirt, and drink spills very quickly. Does not harm your interior and looks great. A natural clean looks fine to me, as oppossed to some greased up mess.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Areospace 303 is the bomb....(no affiliation). Blocks total UV rays. Isn't too greasy but is a little "chemical" for my taste But I put up with it because you only have to do once every couple of months and then just get a shamwow or microfiber and give it a good once over and it looks awesome...

Old 08-20-2012, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fatbrando
Areospace 303 is the bomb....(no affiliation). Blocks total UV rays. Isn't too greasy but is a little "chemical" for my taste But I put up with it because you only have to do once every couple of months and then just get a shamwow or microfiber and give it a good once over and it looks awesome...
what i'm using

Old 08-20-2012, 04:07 AM
Yeah I used to go ham using armor all on the interior of my del sol. I've only used the multi colored rags they sell at autozone to clean the interior. Amor all seems to work great on the side walls of my tires.

I have a question what do you all clean your mud flaps with?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
303® Aerospace Protectant Wipes

can pretty mcuh use this on any rubber/vinyl trim. best protectant out there.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ladylockness
on my G and Z's painted splash guards on the surface side that gets all the hits (my Fits do not have mug flaps) i use Griot's SprayOn Wax. why? it has super lubricity, keeps the flap looking clean and slippery, and does not make the black rubber parts white.

i use disposable gloves and a paper towel. spray product into the towel, and run the entire arch on the bottom side with it to clean.

for this, you can also use Prima Hydro (spray polymer) but it's a lot more expensive so it's up to you.

you can source griot's stuff at www.griotsgarage.com or amazon.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 AM
That's not bad at all! So when you don't use that stuff you pretty much just go over the dash with a microfiber I take it?
one bottle of Nero usually lasts me about 2yrs. i dont need to re-apply too often.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:52 AM
I actually heard that Armor all oxidizes tires faster than anything sadly, Everytime I'd search armor all cracks/dry rot it would usually be about tires, if it's working though and you see no damage, the more power to you! I have no mud flaps, I thought about getting them but they'd have to be the same color as the car, they just stand out weird on the rear bumper in particular.
Yeah I used to go ham using armor all on the interior of my del sol. I've only used the multi colored rags they sell at autozone to clean the interior. Amor all seems to work great on the side walls of my tires.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
I keep a small cloth in the car and wipe down the dash when it gets dusty (and I am stuck in traffic). Because of this I rarely have to "clean" the interior beyond that.

However when I do, I typically use Windex. Seems to not leave any residue or lingering smell; of course, you should never spray electronics or anything like that.

On this particular car I no longer use Windex on the gauge faces because it is known to scratch when you drag dust particles across it. I have cleaned it once by wetting a paper towel and very gently trying to pick up the dust. Annoyingly, the car came with a scratch; probably from the dealer cleaning it!

I would like advice on cleaning the interior windows. They seem to get coated over time with very faint white haze, which is some combination of plastic offgassing or recirculated human exhalation - whatever it is, it sort of smears across the window and windex isn't wonderful at taking it off. Anyone have a particularly good window cleaning recommendation?

Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
That's not bad at all! So when you don't use that stuff you pretty much just go over the dash with a microfiber I take it?
yah, i have a little interior car duster that i use for the most part. and yes, using a long thread detailing mf towel will net you the same.

make sure NOT to use this on the cloth surfaces as it can leave behind lint that might be hard to remove later. in such case, i use horse hair brush and painter's tape to remove the lint.

here's the interior duster. i place mine on some news paper for a good week before using it on the car. the reason is to rid excess paffrin wax so that i does not leave smears on your car. just shake and turn the mop a few times a day when you 'break it in.'

Amazon.com: The Original California Mini Duster: Automotive Amazon.com: The Original California Mini Duster: Automotive

Old 08-20-2012, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
i keep a swifer duster in my glove box. works amazing to clean up between "cleanings"

Old 08-20-2012, 11:26 AM
yah, i have a little interior car duster that i use for the most part. and yes, using a long thread detailing mf towel will net you the same.

make sure NOT to use this on the cloth surfaces as it can leave behind lint that might be hard to remove later. in such case, i use horse hair brush and painter's tape to remove the lint.

here's the interior duster. i place mine on some news paper for a good week before using it on the car. the reason is to rid excess paffrin wax so that i does not leave smears on your car. just shake and turn the mop a few times a day when you 'break it in.'

Amazon.com: The Original California Mini Duster: Automotive

I used to use one of those years back on the mostly leather interior of a Lincoln TownCar, and it worked well. But I picked up something for $3.85 on sale at my local grocery store that I think will do as good a job: A small swiffer-duster. I needed something with a handle because limited right arm mobility meant I couldn't reach all of the dash with just a rag. Wiping very lightly it gathered all the dust mites that were starting to reside on the dash, and did not leave any smearing or residue that I can see. The package came with 5 refills, which I suspect will last me a long time. And it easily fits/hides in the driver door pocket, so I don't have to go searching for it when I notice dust.

With practice I should be able to cradle my primary cell on my left shoulder, text on my secondary cell with my left hand, and dust the dashboard with my right all at the same time, while driving 75mph down the highway steering with my knees. THAT's multi-tasking!

Paul H

Old 08-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by solbrothers

And there you go.

I actually heard that Armor all oxidizes tires faster than anything sadly, Everytime I'd search armor all cracks/dry rot it would usually be about tires
Do not use Armor-all on tires! It has a chemical reaction with rubber that will make them dry-rot much sooner than they would normally (it pulls chemicals in the rubber to the surface).

Quick Reply: Interior cleaner experiences