2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Interior cleaner experiences

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
I've been looking for something to keep the door and window seals pliable. I've always used 303. Anyone have any experience with this Shin-Etsu grease. It's described as "Genuine Factory Honda shin-etsu grease -, for lubricating rubber door seals. Apply sparingly, a little goes a long way."

Old 08-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
I keep a small cloth in the car and wipe down the dash when it gets dusty (and I am stuck in traffic). Because of this I rarely have to "clean" the interior beyond that.

However when I do, I typically use Windex. Seems to not leave any residue or lingering smell; of course, you should never spray electronics or anything like that.

On this particular car I no longer use Windex on the gauge faces because it is known to scratch when you drag dust particles across it. I have cleaned it once by wetting a paper towel and very gently trying to pick up the dust. Annoyingly, the car came with a scratch; probably from the dealer cleaning it!

I would like advice on cleaning the interior windows. They seem to get coated over time with very faint white haze, which is some combination of plastic offgassing or recirculated human exhalation - whatever it is, it sort of smears across the window and windex isn't wonderful at taking it off. Anyone have a particularly good window cleaning recommendation?
There is some pretty good stuff in a can you buy at autozone, which I already forgot the name of! But yeah, I once used Windex on the windows in my Accord and it stained the drivers master window switch plastic. Made it look like it had soap bubbles on it. Damn shit.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by prhkgh
I used to use one of those years back on the mostly leather interior of a Lincoln TownCar, and it worked well. But I picked up something for $3.85 on sale at my local grocery store that I think will do as good a job: A small swiffer-duster. I needed something with a handle because limited right arm mobility meant I couldn't reach all of the dash with just a rag. Wiping very lightly it gathered all the dust mites that were starting to reside on the dash, and did not leave any smearing or residue that I can see. The package came with 5 refills, which I suspect will last me a long time. And it easily fits/hides in the driver door pocket, so I don't have to go searching for it when I notice dust.

With practice I should be able to cradle my primary cell on my left shoulder, text on my secondary cell with my left hand, and dust the dashboard with my right all at the same time, while driving 75mph down the highway steering with my knees. THAT's multi-tasking!

Paul H
Hey there ya go! I use a wine red microfiber and I stick it right under my e-brake and it blends in nice, it's the kind that doesn't stick too luckily.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. Leaves the dash looking mat/natural and can be used on the radio portion. Don't know how well it cleans heavy stains though, as my dash usually only has dust on it. Also doesn't last extremely long, but those that do sometimes leave it very greasy and I absolutely hate the greasy stuff.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rampo
I've been looking for something to keep the door and window seals pliable. I've always used 303. Anyone have any experience with this Shin-Etsu grease. It's described as "Genuine Factory Honda shin-etsu grease -, for lubricating rubber door seals. Apply sparingly, a little goes a long way."

i think if you kept up with 303, i would just continue using it until you're done with the car.