2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

required dealer installed extras?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:45 PM
required dealer installed extras?

So I am in the market for a new fit. I took a punt and decided to use Carwoo to get a feel for what some dealers are charging. I have gotten a few replies from dealers saying their cars are around 19,500 to 20,000 even though msrp is 18,700. They say it is because Honda America requires Texas dealers to install extras like window tint, splash guards, wheel locks, and cargo liner. Is this true? Are all Texas dealers REQUIRED to add these things, or do I just have a slimy dealer who doesn't want me to shop around?

Old 08-15-2012, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
the slime factor is high with that one. Beware.

The only thing not part of the MSRP that dealers don't wave are delivery charges (but these are on the invoice and sticker). Everything else they add is at their discretion and is entirely negotiable. Watch out for administrative fees. They tack on another $300-$500 without blushing and state these are "required." Just lower your offer by $300-$500.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by bohb
So I am in the market for a new fit. I took a punt and decided to use Carwoo to get a feel for what some dealers are charging. I have gotten a few replies from dealers saying their cars are around 19,500 to 20,000 even though msrp is 18,700. They say it is because Honda America requires Texas dealers to install extras like window tint, splash guards, wheel locks, and cargo liner. Is this true? Are all Texas dealers REQUIRED to add these things, or do I just have a slimy dealer who doesn't want me to shop around?
...you got a slimy dealer!!!

You, being in Athens, may have to drive into a larger city, such as Dallas to get a broader range of both dealers and inventory. I too, had to drive to north Austin to get mine, (about 75 miles). FORGET msrp, base your negotiations on dealer invoice. I certainly didn't have to purchase any of the aforementioned options you listed from the dealer!

Good Luck

Old 08-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Thank you. The process of buying a new car has put me in a rather stand-offish mode with dealers.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
mine had zero dealer installed options....which is how i like it.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:06 PM
I know my Honda dealer purchases all of their vehicles with Wheel Locks. But it's up to the purchaser to decided if they want to keep them or not. Since my Fit was driven in from another dealer, they weren't installed.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I am looking in Dallas and Austin. I am from Austin and love any excuse to go back. I just have to remember that I am in NO hurry to get the car, my bank has pre-approved me for a 2.5% loan, and I know the exact model and options I want. With all this I can take my time and wait for the right deal.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Faintly absurd that they claim upfront that it's "required." Mostly because it doesn't give them much room to back down if you tell them you don't believe them!

So what I would advise is this. Tell them that you appreciate it but that you think they might not fully understand what Honda requires and doesn't. Then tell them that regardless of that, what you are looking to buy is one without any dealer-installed accessories - do they have any in stock currently? And if they say "well we could get one," just say, ok thanks but really what I just asked was whether you have any, can you please check while I'm on the line and let me know?

That way they know that they need to be straight with you right away; and you will have a clear answer. It's entirely possible this dealer does install accessories on all cars, in which case it'll be helpful for you to know that - because you can thank them and go elsewhere. Accessories are never "required" otherwise they'd be standard equipment. But I have heard similar stuff actually from a Texas friend (bought a Ford), so it may be a feature of the local market. If that's the case you may need be a little firm to get what you need.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Here in Alabama the standard dealer installed options that seem to be put on every Fit are:
- wheel locks
- pin striping
- protection package (I'm not even sure what this is really....some kind of fabric protectant for the interior and some kind of protectant on the exterior? I should have gotten clarification on this from the dealer.)

At the dealer I bought mine from I was basically able to get the car for about $500 off the sticker price including destination fee before the cost of the overpriced dealer installed options were added.

-Dustin

Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Kind of reminds of times when some dealers would get cars that were in high demand and immediately do rust proofing and add it to the sticker.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Just tell them you won't pay for dealer add-ons and to take them off. If they refuse, get up and walk out.

Usually they'll leave them out of the negotiation from that point on, even if they remain on the car.

Keep in mind the Fit is in demand, has supply issues (how many they have on the lot is a clue). The online services, while they give you some good information, usually aren't helpful in negotiating a price for you. Until salesmen have a warm body in the showroom they're reluctant to deal. But remember you have feet. Use them at least once.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:13 PM
I have now corresponded with 5 dealers in Dallas, and now I never want to go to Dallas again. I fully realize the main goal of these gentlemen is to get me into the showroom, but these guys are playing into every stereotype in the book.

Thankfully, I have an appointment to get my girlfriend's 97 accord worked on at the dealership in Tyler. I spoke with the salesman who said he wished he could get people dumb enough to believe he has to install 2k worth of extras on every car.

I think the root of the problem is the fit is a very popular that is sold for a very fair price.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:37 AM
After reading these posts I appreciate Dublin Honda in CA even more...as they almost instantly said they'd only charge me invoice price, didn't try to push ANY options on me, and we concluded our sale in record time. The only option I chose were floor mats, which came in and were installed the next day. For once I guess being in CA worked out. (2012 base Fit in white...now optioning with the aftermarket community for tinting, sun shade, seat covers, and a few other items.) I was away for a week and missed my new Fit! Up to 360 miles on it now.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Yeah, I am looking in Dallas and Austin. I am from Austin and love any excuse to go back. I just have to remember that I am in NO hurry to get the car, my bank has pre-approved me for a 2.5% loan, and I know the exact model and options I want. With all this I can take my time and wait for the right deal.
No need to wait!

Call or email around to all the dealers and make them YOUR offer and then wait for them to call YOU!!!

Then send them ALL the best offer you get from one of them and watch them compete...

That's what I did and I got my Fit for $800 less for what I thought I was going to have to pay.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
Well, we've never done this before. But seeing as it's special circumstances and all, he says I can knock a hundred dollars off that Trucoat.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:08 PM
We walked away with only the bare minimum here in AZ, which the dealer insisted upon and they called the 'Protection Package' floor mats, cargo liner, door edge guards, window tint and the locking wheel nuts. However, we did haggle the price of that package from something like $800 to $500. As a good window tint in this area would cost you $300 anyway, I felt good about the $500 figure for that and the other crap.

Also got the extended warranty - 7 year 100k mile for $995 tho, which with a Honda we probably didn't need. But it's always a good selling point should we want to sell the thing in 4 or 5 years time. $995 is apparently the pre-negotiated Costco price for that.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
ahhh, the warranty won't add a dime to the value when it comes time to trade or sell privately.

As for the other stuff, if you're happy paying for it, more power to you. It too doesn't add any value. Window tinting might even be a negative.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
ahhh, the warranty won't add a dime to the value when it comes time to trade or sell privately.

As for the other stuff, if you're happy paying for it, more power to you. It too doesn't add any value. Window tinting might even be a negative.
Warranty might not add to the value. But in 5 years at 70k miles and we sell this thing most likely. The new owner will at least get the peace of mind of there still being a warranty.

As for Window tint. You won't see many cars here in Arizona without it! So that probably depends on what part of the country/world you live in.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:16 PM
They say it is because Honda America requires Texas dealers to install extras like window tint, splash guards, wheel locks, and cargo liner. Is this true? Are all Texas dealers REQUIRED to add these things, or do I just have a slimy dealer who doesn't want me to shop around?
That is a slimy dealer.

I purchased my Fit in San Antonio. No accessories are required, only
the ones you, the customer, want.

With the Texas heat n' sunshine... I consider tint almost a must have item.
I have tint on mine since March 2011... no troubles or bubbles.

Last edited by Paul56; 08-18-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Added text.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RiNkY
Warranty might not add to the value. But in 5 years at 70k miles and we sell this thing most likely. The new owner will at least get the peace of mind of there still being a warranty.

As for Window tint. You won't see many cars here in Arizona without it! So that probably depends on what part of the country/world you live in.
You're right, I forgot about the AZ part. And some policies will refund the unused amount (pro rated) if you don't transfer to the new owner or trade at a dealer.

Quick Reply: required dealer installed extras?