2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New Member! And thoughts on the seat comfort issue...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Thumbs up New Member! And thoughts on the seat comfort issue...

Hi everybody,

I bought my 2012 Honda Fit (AT, base model) on Monday (2 days ago) and am thrilled to be a part of the Fit Freak community.

When I was deciding whether nor not to go with a Fit, this community was a part of my decision to go ForIT because of all the advice and fun on these forums.

I ended up getting a base model but my dealership is ordering the rear spoiler so I can afford the Fit but still get the sport model look. That will be installed as soon as it comes in for installation. The other options I sprung for were:
  • center console/armrest (love the quality and the stitching look)
  • carpet floormats (my husband insisted on them instead of my suggestion of going to Walmart)
  • rear bumper protector (because I got the Tafffeta White Fit)
  • rear cargo cover (for safety)
The headreast/seat comfort issue is the only thing that isn't quite working for me right now. But I figure I can work it out. In fact, the night after I did the test drive/before the morning I purchased, I read up on these forums for all of the issues and solutions.

The headrest initially bothered me during the test drive, but when I picked up the car they didn't seem as extreme (is it possible it ships in an extreme position but they were fixed during prep?). Maybe it's because I also read that it's good to recline the Fit seats a few clicks back than what you may first try. My shoulders no longer rest on the seat back but I still sit upright. If I try to rest my whole back along the seat the lumbar support seems to dig into my back, so for now I'll sit more upright and see how that works.

I did read on these forms interesting observations ... that the seats "relax" or "soften" after a few hundred miles ... one driver admitted that in the beginning his back bothered him but that the seats are preferrable to him now compared to other car seats ... another driver said that he thought the seats made him improve his posture.

I didn't want these seats to be a deal breaker for such a great car (I keep finding great new features and smiles each time I drive!) so I'll stick with it and maybe look into soft seat cushions for the meantime.

Who knows, maybe the Honda Fit will make me for "fit", posture-wise.

Right now, I can definitely report that over the last 2 days of ownership, I've averaged 40 miles per gallon. Yeah!

So that's my two cents as a two-day Fit driver. Thanks to all who make these forums fun and informative.

Last edited by SoHoFitFreak; 08-14-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: added pictures, added AT
Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 PM
You will see a thread about me complaining about the seats as well. For me the problem just disappeared! I went from not being able to drive 20 miles without being extremely uncomfortable to being able to drive 300 miles with no issues. I have no idea what happened other that the seat may have softened??? I really dont know because I did not change any settings on the seat. Drive the car for a few weeks before deciding if the seat is an issue.

BTW, your going to love your FIT!

Old 08-14-2012, 10:32 PM
My wife (her car) is 5'6 and hates the seats. Im 6'3 and my back contours pefectly with them.

That being said most honda seats to feel different than others. I dont think my shoulders were ever on the seat back on either my 91 or 00 Prelude. I like to sit almost straight up, with just the slightest tilt back, and the seats in those cars are pretty good for doing that.

Like I said before, when I lean the fit's seat forward it just countours perfectly with my back.

After driving her fit last weekend for about 100 miles, I actually had to puff up the lumbar in my CTS when I drove it again haha.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
for some reason i too was having issues with my 09's seat and the AT. i would get back pain. what i did was push the seat a notch or two back, pulled the steering wheel as far as it would telescope (as low an angle as possible) and drove in a more upright position.

this helped greatly.

the 12' is MT and ive been driving it around town the last few days. no issue with my back. im real happy because the GD i use to have until about a year ago was a royal pita on my back on trips longer than 20-25min. pedal position was terrible and no telescoping steering wheel

Old 08-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Congrats on your new purchase, looks great!

I've heard differing opinions on the Fits seats; my grandmother, 86 who has back problems, loved the seats when we drove
2+ hrs to the beach...

My girlfriend, on the other hand, complains that the seats hurt her neck/back unless she reclines it most of the way.

Personally, I really enjoy them and haven't found them uncomfortable. Though I am almost a foot taller than her so
maybe that has something to do with it.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Congratulations on your new Fit. I have had mine since May 2010 and am a shortie, 5' 1".
I have found the seats as comfortable as in any other car I have had. I took a 4800 mile trip two months after I bought my car and never found the seats uncomfortable--plus I am in my early 60's.
I need to have the seat at just the right angle and distance from the wheel, and if it is even an inch off--I am uncomfortable. Try tweaking the recline level and distance. They seem more comfortable in a more upright position, rather than reclined.

You might look into the Clazzio seat covers or the Coverking or Wet Okole Neoprene ones, too for a little extra cushioning.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
+1 on the Clazzio seat covers. They have a thin layer of memory foam on the back that should help soften the seats a little plus they'll really give the interior of your car a more upscale look. I'm ordering a set as soon as a little extra money comes available. Here's a link to check out:

Honda Fit - Honda Fit 09+ - Honda Fit Clazzio Seat Covers - Bean Garage

Edit: Here's a thread on these seat covers as well:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...honda-fit.html

-Dustin

Last edited by Bama3Dr; 08-15-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
+2 on Clazzio seat covers, I have them and wouldn't trade them for the world. Made a HUGE difference in comfort.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Hi, and congrats on your new Fit.

I have two suggestions for you and any other new Fit owner.

1. Install some kind of mesh to protect the A/C condenser. You can search and find lots of info about this problem and the fix on this board.

2. Install a louder horn. The factory horn gets no respect. By that I mean if someone tries to merge into you on the highway, you better get out of the way while honking because the puny horn is ignored way too often in my limited experience using it.

Enjoy your fit!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:12 PM
We drove 1000 miles round trip the week after I bought it in late July. I'm right at 6 ft, son is 6' 3" (he split time between driving and back seat) wife and son's GF both at 5'6" or so. No complaints on seat comfort in front. Wife got a little uncomfortable in back after a 4 hour stretch without stopping--but most of that might be attributable to the fact that I haven't gotten window tinting yet. (37 mpg with 4 adults and week of luggage; I'll take that any day.)

For us, the front seats MUCH more comfortable than wife's 2009 civic, or my '98 civic, on long trips. My wife is surprised that she has chosen this as our road trip vehicle from now on.

Hopefully, your first 2-3 weeks with it will be as nice as mine have been.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:51 PM
I've found I have to sit way more upright in the Fit than I ever have in any other cars i've owned to be comfortable. The seats don't really start bothering me until after maybe 6 hours or so of driving, and the biggest bother for me is in the lumbar area. I've found taking my wallet out of my back pocket helps, but you don't have to worry about that

Make sure you adjust the steering wheel properly, it will help with back and shoulder strain. You should be able to rest your wrists on the top of the steering wheel at 10 and 2 positions with your arms fully extended and straight from your waist. This also offers best control of the wheel should you need it.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:59 AM
Congrats on the new car.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks for your responses!

Hey everybody - thanks for your responses. A week in and it's already a little more comfortable. I read all of your suggestions and I adjusted my seat to be more upright, pushed the seat back a bit, pulled the telescoping steering wheel out and made sure my hands and shoulders were in a straight line at 10 and 2 o'clock, and ordered this cushion (a reviewer had bought it for her Fit too):

Comfort Products All Season Cushion, Black: Automotive : Walmart.com

Sometimes I use that cushion for my seat and sometimes for my back rest and so far, so good. I do agree that my posture has improved since driving this car. Now my right foot (gas pedal foot) is bothering me after longer drives, but I'm sure my body will get used to this car as the weeks go by. It does seem that people in the 5'6" range feel the most discomfort (from what I see on these forums). My husband, who is 6' 1" is perfectly comfortable.

FWIW, another suggestion I saw was to unzip the seat covers (how cool is it that the seat covers come with zippers?) and insert hand towels to adjust where the lumbar support hits the back.

I'm in it for the long haul and I'm sure the comfort issues will sort themselves out. For heavens sake, this ain't a covered wagon with wooden seats, I'll make it work. And for road trips I can "make" my husband drive, he loves to drive even more than I do.

I LOVE this car! Can turn on a dime, get great gas mileage (averaging 38 MPG this week), and that panoramic view is awesome. I did order a Fit sunscreen from Amazon and some sticker sun screens for our road trip next week to protect us from the summer sun. I have seen peeps on the highway peek over at my car to check it out, how fun is that. Looking forward to doing more modifications as my budget allows. Very happy so far.

Last edited by SoHoFitFreak; 08-20-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: editorial changes
Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 PM
A minor comment about hands on steering wheel positions: It may be good to use the "10 and 2" positions on the wheel to figure out optimum seat position and seatback angle...

But "10 and 2" are no longer being advocated for actual driving. With the advent and proliferation of steering wheel air bags, now "8 and 4 o'clock" are recommended for your hand positions: It reduces the risk of broken arms or lessor arm injuries in the event of an airbag deployment. CA DMV also calls for as big a space as comfortable between the center of the steering wheel and your chest, with 10" listed as the suggested minimum.

Paul H

Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks

Thanks Paul H - I will keep that in mind.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SoHoFitFreak
Hey everybody - thanks for your responses. A week in and it's already a little more comfortable. I read all of your suggestions and I adjusted my seat to be more upright, pushed the seat back a bit, pulled the telescoping steering wheel out and made sure my hands and shoulders were in a straight line at 10 and 2 o'clock, and ordered this cushion (a reviewer had bought it for her Fit too):

Comfort Products All Season Cushion, Black: Automotive : Walmart.com

Sometimes I use that cushion for my seat and sometimes for my back rest and so far, so good. I do agree that my posture has improved since driving this car. Now my right foot (gas pedal foot) is bothering me after longer drives, but I'm sure my body will get used to this car as the weeks go by. It does seem that people in the 5'6" range feel the most discomfort (from what I see on these forums). My husband, who is 6' 1" is perfectly comfortable.

FWIW, another suggestion I saw was to unzip the seat covers (how cool is it that the seat covers come with zippers?) and insert hand towels to adjust where the lumbar support hits the back.

I'm in it for the long haul and I'm sure the comfort issues will sort themselves out. For heavens sake, this ain't a covered wagon with wooden seats, I'll make it work. And for road trips I can "make" my husband drive, he loves to drive even more than I do.

I LOVE this car! Can turn on a dime, get great gas mileage (averaging 38 MPG this week), and that panoramic view is awesome. I did order a Fit sunscreen from Amazon and some sticker sun screens for our road trip next week to protect us from the summer sun. I have seen peeps on the highway peek over at my car to check it out, how fun is that. Looking forward to doing more modifications as my budget allows. Very happy so far.

sounds great!!! glad to hear you're liking your new car.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Clazzio seat covers

Oh - and thank you to those who recommended the Clazzio seat covers. I checked them out and am in love with this design:

Diamond Quilted Design

I'm thinking this will make a nice Christmas present from my husband.

A question - the PVC doesn't get sticky in the summer, does it?

Old 08-25-2012, 10:14 AM
I find they can get a bit sticky when left in direct sunlight on a hot day, but mine are all black so that may be why. I'm thinking of getting a front windshield reflector for when i park on hot days.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
Congrats! Where in Mass?

Old 09-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Hey everybody, I'm back for an update. I've had my Fit for three weeks and love, love, love it. And the seat comfort issue is becoming less of an issue, just like for '12Fit. I am, however, looking forward to getting the Clazzio seat covers because, although my back is pretty much fine, I do prefer a little extra cushioning.

It's true what one commenter said - sometimes it takes a while to "fit" into the "Fit." It was made evident to me today when I drove my old car (an '03 Mitsubishi Gallant, giving it to my step-son this weekend) to the dentist today and realized the seats in that car are horrible for posture. After riding around in the Fit for a few weeks, those old seats actually seem uncomfortable now.

The gas pedal in the new Fit was also giving my leg some cramping. The pedal really is too sensitive but I keep the right part of my foot against the carpeting now and it feels fine now.

I've never had these experiences of 1. being able to compare old and new cars because I've always traded my old cars in before and 2. taking a while to adjust to a new car. But it's all worked out.

We took The Mole (our affectionate nickname for our Fit) on a road trip last week from Boston, MA to Erie, PA and WOW I loved how the Fit was so easy to maneuver in unfamiliar parking lots and driveways. It got good gas mileage, too, although not as good as my regular around-town-just-me-rides because on the trip it was me, my husband, and lots of luggage, and the occasional brother or nephew or niece, etc. But it still did a helluva lot better than my old car. Also had to turn off the AC on some inclines in the Berkshires but I'm fine with it - I'd rather get good gas mileage and not be the fastest on the road. We got there in good time anyways.

And The Mole makes me smile when I see it.

Quick Reply: New Member! And thoughts on the seat comfort issue...