2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
I usually wax once a month. Actually do all three cars at the same time. The black cars are the worst to keep clean we had three at one time now down to two. I use to only wash by hand but this summer and with a mild winter has left the water table low.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:23 PM
You can try to find detailing shop that does hand washes. I found one that does it for $20 plus tip. Then I sometimes put a coat of wax on afterwards. Sure it's more expensive than a regular wash, but the car looks great. The only downside is it takes almost an hour.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:34 AM
I've been using this stuff: Lucas Oil Slick Mist.

I gotta say, it's pretty damned awesome. I did a good polish job when I first got the car, then picked this up just to try it between polish jobs. I think it was $7 for the bottle. I was hesitant, but after using it for a month I can't live without.

First, I don't fully dry the car after a wash. I squeegee off majority of the water, then using shop towels (the soft blue disposable towels on a roll) I spray this on the towel and wipe down the car. I'll do a section like the hood, then toss the towel and use another. This stuff works really well when the car is a little bet wet.

The car looks like it has a mist on it, which is the water that the squeegee didn't get. It evaporates and the car shines like mad. No buffing. Takes me maybe ten minutes to detail the whole car and looks like I spent hours with a paste wax buffing it by hand. Even wipe the windows down with the towels as I'm going along, they stay cleaner than they ever did when I was using invisible glass, and it has a Rain-X effect.

My wife said "no way" when I told her to use it on her CX-5. Then she got mad when my car had a better shine than hers, so she started using it.

Last edited by SgtBaxter; 08-15-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:16 AM
I'would really like to hand clean it. But I reside in a residence and there is definitely no car cleansing. There's not even a faucet to connect a garden hose to. So I am kind of restricted on my options. In previous times, I've never had any issues with other vehicles going through the automatic car clean.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by crish
I'would really like to hand clean it. But I reside in a residence and there is definitely no car cleansing. There's not even a faucet to connect a garden hose to. So I am kind of restricted on my options. In previous times, I've never had any issues with other vehicles going through the automatic car clean.
I also do only hand washes or the self-serve spray wand, but I understand that you're limited for options. With an automatic car wash, if not touchless I would at least look for the "soft cloth" type where hanging strips of heavy cloth cloth do the washing. Don't go anywhere with spinning brushes. Also, to be safe, unscrew the radio antenna. I remember a thread here somewhere where somebody's roof got a little dented because an auto-car wash flexed the antenna. But make sure you let the antenna socket dry out before reinstalling the antenna.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
It's a little difficult especially if you live in an apartment with no access to a hose. I've gone through the auto car washes several times. I always cringed when I did, but when I wanted a clean car real fast I would. Now where I live, we have the drive in car wash with the pressure hose and trigger. I prefer these, just bring a bucket, some spare change and a good sponge and you are good to go.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:57 PM
I'd look into waterless washing - I noticed several such products at

We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store

Since I've got the black pearl and I'm not liking how the rainx wash and wax is doing, I'm switching to Meguiar's Crystal wash (no more wash with wax built in) and I got the Turtle Wax Black Box

Turtle Wax Black Box polish and wax -- an About.com Cars product review

Providing it's nice here Sunday, I'll give it a good wash and polish and see how it goes

Old 08-18-2012, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member
I take it to the local self service car wash with the sprayer when I need a quick cleaning. nothing touches the paint except for water and it costs me about $3 in quarters for a wash and a light mist-on wax that lasts a month or so. I used to take a bucket and sponge to these places but haven't done that in a while. - and usually the people behind you get a little pissed off since there's a sign that says no bucket washing...

~SB

Old 09-10-2022, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by danarnold
Hello,

I purchased my new 2022 Defender 4 weeks ago. Has anyone actually taken their Defender to automatic car wash? I was reading in manual this was not recommended.

Thanks!
Don't take an new expensive car to an automatic car wash! If it's the kind with giant spinny brushes, it will just ruin your paint.

Old 09-10-2022, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
I hate car washes. They break stuff.