2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

External satellite radio connected via aux input - pops when turning off ignition

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
External satellite radio connected via aux input - pops when turning off ignition

Thx to https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...o-install.html I'm going to be doing an install exactly the same way w/ a similar-footprint unit Audiovox Onyx (
Amazon.com: XM XDNX1V1 Onyx Dock and Play Radio with Car Kit (Black): Car Electronics Amazon.com: XM XDNX1V1 Onyx Dock and Play Radio with Car Kit (Black): Car Electronics
). It's probably the best place to put such a unit w/o putting it an obtrusive location. A little tough to reach, but you can get a remote control for it, so we're good.

But here's my problem: I have the unit plugged into the aux input (still using the main lighter outlet before starting the install) and wow what a static pop when I turn the car off. Why? Seems like I have a very basic use case here so not sure what could be going wrong. All cables seem secure including and especially the RCA mini cable.

Last edited by TrippKnightly; 08-05-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
It's probably the satellite radio "popping." I'd try it in another car to be sure.

edit: I'm assuming you hear this through the radio speakers. If you have a static discharge occurring between the satellite receiver and the Fit's radio, it could damage one or both units. I don't think this is happening; it's probably just a case of the Fit's radio powering off a few milliseconds after the satellite receiver. You could experiment by unplugging the power for the receiver without shutting off the car to see if it "pops." You could also try this in another car. Unless it's very loud it shouldn't harm anything.

Last edited by Steve244; 08-06-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
Thx for the input (sic). I've tried what you suggested and a few other things. I get the pop when pulling the power directly at the unit w/ all else still on. In fact, I get the pop directly into headphones attached to the audio out of the unit. So this is either just this unit or a quirk to the product, not something specific to the Fit's radio vs amp shutdown sequence. The product does have a few seconds of power up / down sequence when using the power switch itself so it may be preferred to shut the unit off through its switch.

I can probably adjust my behavior -- either by ignoring the pop or learning to shut off the satellite first. But of course that takes away the fun of problem solving.

Aside: I've actually installed a separate cigarette accessory jack which powers off at position 2 on the ignition while the radio is at position 1. This makes the problem worse because the now the radio is definitely firing off before the stereo. (Separate thread about that.)