2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I got a little "fresh" with my Fit today

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 04:49 PM
I got a little "fresh" with my Fit today

I installed my PRM intake yesterday and I went to a nice deserted stretch of road today and just gave her.

The car went all kinds of squirelly on me. Like I was loosing grip on the road. I had to let go of the gas. Isn't this thing supposed to be one step up from a lawnmower engine?

What's my fix?

Tires?

Suspension upgrade?

Both?

Curently running stock everything.

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 07-28-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
pretty much both.

tires will increase the grip on the road (assuming you pick something that's better).

suspension will better handle the car.

might want to be careful of the "had to let go of the gas" part... you CAN be in a turn fast enough that, letting go of the gas at the wrong time will instantly turn into an over steer issue (ie, the back end starts to whip around you)... I've done it on off-ramps after Lyon did it multiple times also.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
might want to be careful of the "had to let go of the gas" part... you CAN be in a turn fast enough that, letting go of the gas at the wrong time will instantly turn into an over steer issue (ie, the back end starts to whip around you)... I've done it on off-ramps after Lyon did it multiple times also.
There's a track north of Montreal in Mont-Tremblant. I went to their web site and they have 3 day driving camps and another over multiple weekends. I might invest in something like that. It might be fun to learn how to drive a car properly.

New tires and springs it is. I've got the progress sway bar coming in the mail already.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
There's a track north of Montreal in Mont-Tremblant. I went to their web site and they have 3 day driving camps and another over multiple weekends. I might invest in something like that. It might be fun to learn how to drive a car properly.
Best possible thing you can do! Once you can push a stock (or lightly modified) car to it's limits and handle it, then it is time to consider more investments in upgrades.
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
New tires and springs it is. I've got the progress sway bar coming in the mail already.
Good choices. If you haven't done wheels yet, consider some Enkei RPF1 or PF01 wheels for lightness. The best way to improve performance on the FIT is lightening the load (especially unsprung weight).

Sounds like you are well on your way to having a solid basis for good driving. (learning, then driving, then modding).

~SB

Old 07-28-2012, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Tires are a good #2 idea ... #1 would be to invest in the driver! Not so much learning some more driving skill, although that will benefit through your life of course, but more so going to a track and getting some perspective as to why you should NOT drive fast on public roads.

Remember it's not just you out there. You'd feel bad if a teen driver swiped your dad as he walks out of a CVS, putting him in the hospital, right? So turn it around and remember there's a lot of people on public roads and a lot of those people will be inconveniently placed on the road at inconvenient times.

Thanks

Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Tires are a good #2 idea ... #1 would be to invest in the driver! Not so much learning some more driving skill, although that will benefit through your life of course, but more so going to a track and getting some perspective as to why you should NOT drive fast on public roads.

Remember it's not just you out there. You'd feel bad if a teen driver swiped your dad as he walks out of a CVS, putting him in the hospital, right? So turn it around and remember there's a lot of people on public roads and a lot of those people will be inconveniently placed on the road at inconvenient times.

Thanks
Point taken^

It really isn't a toy is it...

What's a CVS? Edit: Googled it...a pharmacy chain down south.

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 07-28-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Banned
Relax, Dwayne. When your Progress RSB arrives and is installed, your opinion will change. Remember, you can still turn your Fit over with the wrong choices, but the RSB will make a world of difference. Remember again, I bought the first one (Progress RSB, both GD3 and GE8).

Last edited by Triskelion; 07-28-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Lift-throttle oversteer is a bitch. That fatter rear sway bar will make it more pronounced it can be useful to redirect the nose, but then you have to put your foot back in it to plant the rear which will be counterintuitive when the car starts to rotate.

Overall though the RSB was one of my favorite small mods.