2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

fit with a heavy load

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
fit with a heavy load

I don’t recall a post about the Fit’s carrying capacity in terms of weight. Twice now I’ve carried very heavy loads through town and then on the highway and on both occasions I’ve been very impressed with how the Fit shows few signs of strain under such conditions. Today I carried a cast-iron tub and sink, along with a week’s worth of groceries, for 1.5 hours on the highway and, aside from needing a little more pressure on the brake pedal and having occasionally to drop down to 4th (MT Sport) when climbing hills, it handled much as it does when empty. I’d say that I was carrying about 750 lbs, including my weight. It seems that they’ve designed the suspension with heavy loads in mind. Mileage remained pretty good as well at just over 33 mpg with the AC on for most of the trip, mostly at around 70mph.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Eugene.Atget
I don’t recall a post about the Fit’s carrying capacity in terms of weight.
It's in the owners manual.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Yep it's like a little pack mule lol
I go to Costco and load up with all kinds of stuff and the Fit chuggs along no problem.

I was surprised how well it handled the extra weight.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Really? When I drive to lunch and there are 5 of us in the car it seems the thing barely wants to move. It also bounces and bottoms out a lot.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Manual (and door jam) says total load should not exceed 850 pounds. Good to know you approached that limit without noticing any ill effects.
I've loaded a 5pc drum set plus cymbals and hardware and 2 guitars and amp and didn't notice a bit of difference in ride or performance either.

woo-hoo first post!

Old 07-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Eugene.Atget
I don’t recall a post about the Fit’s carrying capacity in terms of weight. Twice now I’ve carried very heavy loads through town and then on the highway and on both occasions I’ve been very impressed with how the Fit shows few signs of strain under such conditions. Today I carried a cast-iron tub and sink, along with a week’s worth of groceries, for 1.5 hours on the highway and, aside from needing a little more pressure on the brake pedal and having occasionally to drop down to 4th (MT Sport) when climbing hills, it handled much as it does when empty. I’d say that I was carrying about 750 lbs, including my weight. It seems that they’ve designed the suspension with heavy loads in mind. Mileage remained pretty good as well at just over 33 mpg with the AC on for most of the trip, mostly at around 70mph.
I fit 14 cases of wine in the car (I am in the wine industry) without a problem. Each case is around 40 pounds or so. I'm a big guy myself as well, the car was fine.

I've fit 52" lcd's, large pieces of art, nightstands, an antique set of armchairs, etc... it is the most versatile car I have ever owned.

Cheers!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by j2dafo
Manual (and door jam) says total load should not exceed 850 pounds. Good to know you approached that limit without noticing any ill effects.
I've loaded a 5pc drum set plus cymbals and hardware and 2 guitars and amp and didn't notice a bit of difference in ride or performance either.

woo-hoo first post!
Interesting - same as Honda CRV!

Old 07-29-2012, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chilis trip
Interesting - same as Honda CRV!
I was surprised by this and so did a quick web search and you're right--several models of the CR-V are rated at 850 lbs (although several other models can carry over 1000 lbs.). It seems that with the Fit Honda decided to create a car that could carry pretty much what the CR-V does, but in a way that is more fun to drive and optimized for the city. The CR-V, I suspect, is optimized for the highway and rural conditions.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Banned
Monroe rear Air Shocks can entirely change the load capacity of a Fit.

My NEW interior (temporarily) - Honda Fit Forums