2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Going to hide an inverter - keeping it functional though!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
Going to hide an inverter - keeping it functional though!

So before we take a long road trip, I wanted to make sure we had plenty of power for charging 3 phones, a tablet, and a netbook. Rather than buy a DC adapter for my tablet, an inverter seemed like a much more versatile option. I didn't want the bulky look with all the wires scattered about, so i'm going to be remote mounting the inverter away somewhere (not sure where yet).

Since it will be out of reach, I wanted a way to keep it from being inconvenient. So i picked up a spare center console panel and got to marking a template, and this is what I came up with

I've got some wiring to do yet, but this was the most labor intensive part, so i knocked it out first. I'll be attaching all 3 outlets together, then putting the opposite plug on the other end of the wire, and just plug it into the inverter. This will leave me the option to remove the inverter quickly for any reason, or upgrade in the future if I need more power. This way I won't have to worry about anything being hard-wired to the inverter.

As far as powering the inverter, I plan to run a relay off of the battery with an inline fuse, with ignition being the signal to switch the relay on. No need to let the inverter have power when the car isn't running. This will allow me to leave the inverter switched to 'on' and only have it run while the car is in the "ON" position.

I was going to run 2 USB leads as well since the inverter has 2.1a USB ports (enough to charge an ipad if need be, but i'm an android guy). I don't see me using the usb ports very much, and it will take away from the clean look of the panel I just modified. If anything, I'll run a short couple foot USB extension from the inverter up to somewhere in the center console. Who knows - might add a jack somewhere out of sight some day - but not necessary for now.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
Nice job. That is a handy panel. I put the switches for my heated seats there.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
Very Clean Installation. I'd have wired up the USB as well and put two usb ports right above the electrical outlets. I looked at the "FrontX" website for flush mount usb ports and still may go that route so I can run/charge my Android phone and other devices (Parrot minikit slim bluetooth, work blackberry - hate it). I never need only one USB port at a time. it's none or a bunch... no middle ground. (Murphy's law)

~SB

Old 07-16-2012, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Very Clean Installation. I'd have wired up the USB as well and put two usb ports right above the electrical outlets. I looked at the "FrontX" website for flush mount usb ports and still may go that route so I can run/charge my Android phone and other devices (Parrot minikit slim bluetooth, work blackberry - hate it). I never need only one USB port at a time. it's none or a bunch... no middle ground. (Murphy's law)

~SB
I would have gone ahead and done USB, but I can't find a 'clean' looking flush USB port. All the ones I find require 2 screws to hold them in, and having exposed screw heads on the front of this panel would kill it for me. I've seen a few USB mounts that are round and clean looking, but i don't really have room on the front to house 2 of those.

I know exactly what you mean about needing USB though. I either don't need them, or I need like 2 or 3 plugins simultaneously.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Nice!

I'm going to add an inverter (whenever I get to it), in the hatch area, and probably an outlet in the rear if I can find a spot.

Last edited by FitStir; 07-16-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-16-2012, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Oh forgot to mention, these snap in outlets are available on amazon for about $6 each shipped. I was about to order them, but found that i had an extension cord wind-up holder and it had a panel with 4 of these on it. I never used the thing, so i disassembled it, cut the wires off, and used those. I have one more outlet left over, I'd like to run one somewhere where there is access to it in the back seat for my son's ipod touch rather than have a long USB extension running through the car.

Wheres a good spot behind the front seats to put one more outlet? On the very back of the cupholder/console right above the center hump maybe?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shaar
Wheres a good spot behind the front seats to put one more outlet? On the very back of the cupholder/console right above the center hump maybe?
That's about where I was thinking. I forgot how much space is behind that area when I installed the armrest, but I'm sure something will fit around there.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
That's about where I was thinking. I forgot how much space is behind that area when I installed the armrest, but I'm sure something will fit around there.
Yea i was worried there might not be enough space between the recessed cup holder and the outer edge. Also I worry about something being plugged in and my son drop kicking the side of it since its right next to the feet area. It would be something prone to damage.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Unfortunately, it's going to be about the only place you can plug in. the sides of the car are all door, under the back seats is out b/c of the magic Seats and the roof... well... no. Be careful when putting the back seats down. I don't know how close they come to that center console either. Overall, it is the best place as it is accessible from both sides.

Maybe this is the place for USB - check out the Clarion CCAUSB
Amazon.com: Clarion CCAUSB USB 2.0 Extension Cable with Integrated Cover: Car Electronics
No ugly power supply to carry with you.

~SB

Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Unfortunately, it's going to be about the only place you can plug in. the sides of the car are all door, under the back seats is out b/c of the magic Seats and the roof... well... no. Be careful when putting the back seats down. I don't know how close they come to that center console either. Overall, it is the best place as it is accessible from both sides.

Maybe this is the place for USB - check out the Clarion CCAUSB
Amazon.com: Clarion CCAUSB USB 2.0 Extension Cable with Integrated Cover: Car Electronics
No ugly power supply to carry with you.

~SB
I had seen that clarion usb jack on amazon, and i just can't convince myself to pay so much for a glorified extension cable. The rack mount USB ports are a couple dollars, but i can't stand the screws exposed.. Crap. Maybe I will run across something later on down the road. The Clarion one is ok, just too expensive, and I need 2 of them.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
$5.20 each?

link

Old 07-17-2012, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
$5.20 each?

link
Thats an awesome deal! I also found a 15% off coupon code for July for that site. Makes it $4.68 each

Trying to check out and its asking for business information and what not.. Hmm is this not a site to place personal orders? I may have to call their order hotline.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
Welp - cancel that. The site insisted on charging me sales tax and it doesn't have a shipping location or office in my state, and shipping was considerably more than the item, so it ended up turning a $5 part into a $15 part pretty quick. Still cheaper than the clarion, but i'll keep searching. Thanks anyways Steve!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
Would anyone want to buy this from me? I am not going to have time to get this wired up in the car before the trip - I cut time too short along with the handful of other projects...

I soldered and heatshrunk leads to a regular 120v plug, so all you do is plug this panel into one of the power outlets on an inverter of your choice then hide the inverter. Its ready to go - I just didn't feel like running power wires for the inverter and hiding the inverter this week before I leave.