2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Should I Get a New Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Should I Get a New Fit?

Hey there. I'm trying to decide if I should get a Fit or not.....

My dilemma is thusly:

I've like the Fit since it was first released years ago. I like the design. I like the practicality, reliability, the low cost for purchase, modesty of the car, the low cost of maintenance, gas mileage, functionality and the overall class of this vehicle.

I currently drive a full size extended cab, 4WD, 8 cylinder monster that I used to use, but no longer do other than a daily back and forth driver. It gets 15mpg and is the size of a boat. It once was a great necessity, now I no longer have any use for it as my line of work has changed to sedentary type.

I am looking to replace my current vehicle now since it still sells private party for $16000.

I really wanna downsize.

My needs? A daily reliable driver in a flat area that never sees snow and is cheap to run.

I am on the fence about the Honda Fit and the Honda CRV. Not sure which I should get.

I am 6'1 and 210lbs. Everyone I talk to says I'll look like a fool if I buy the Fit and that I need to get a car that strangely enough "fits" me, like the CRV. Though I test-drove a Fit and there was more room in it seemingly than the CRV.... It seems everyone around me is a member of the "big guy" stereotype club. At my "size" apparently I'm only respectable if I get a Cadillac Escalade with 3 rows of seating and a V10 in it and something like the CRV is just "acceptable enough".

My second issue is I fear that once I get the Fit something will come up where it may not be enough (snow, moving to a hilly area, etc....) for whatever reason....

I know it's my decision and what others think of me is basically should be none of my concern, but I just want some honest opinions from people that have actually owned one of these things. People of all kinds. I especially wanna hear from members of the "Big Guy Club" who are my size and have to face the stereotype that unless we roll in an Escalade we aren't men.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Old 07-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Get Fit or Die. (Pun intended)

Old 07-07-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm a hair under 6 ft, rotund, etc. The fit fits me just fine. I'm sure the rest of the neighborhood thinks I'm crazy, but whatever, I don't need a massive suv or $45k luxury car to drive the 2 miles to get groceries or take the toddler to school. Your dick ain't affected by the size of the car its in.

As for situations where the Fit isn't adequate for what you want to do. If its a short term sort of thing (long road trip with the family, driving to a ski vacation, picking up a huge load of lumber from home depot), you can rent mini vans, suvs, or uhaul trucks quite cheaply, relative to buying one over the fit. The $5000 or more that you save goes quite a long ways on a rental budget. I've purchased a harbor freight foldable utility trailer for ~$100 and currently tow it with my Accord when I need sheets of plywood or the like. Once the warranty is up on the fit, I'll go ahead and install a hitch on it as well.

If its a long term sort of thing (you start a construction business, wife/girl friend has triplets, you get relocated to upstate Vermont), then sell the fit and buy something else. The fit holds it value incredible well. Most cars lose 30% when you drive them off the lot; the fit loses closer to 10%.

Now, is the CRV a better match for your life? You'll have to answer that on your own. How often will you have people ride in your back seat? Lots of trips to Costco with wife and two kids? Do you want the fancier stuff like heated leather seats, back up camera, dvd player, lesser road and engine noise, etc that the CRV can offer? Do you want to go back to loan payments since your old vehicle won't cover the price of a CRV? The CRV isn't necessarily the wrong or right choice either. Personally, I really dislike the higher up position that SUVs involve because of the body roll. Give me station wagons or el caminoes again.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
I'm 6" and about 190 lbs. For an Asian... well, that just wasn't normal (though it seems more Asians are getting taller). I drive in Chicagoland area... rain, snow and all that.

Having driven a Tundra and Highlander/CRVs in the past... I'm very happy with my Fit. While it doesn't have the payload capacity of those trucks/SUVs, I don't need it either. I don't plan of carrying a 1/2-3/4 ton of food supplies like my brothers

Old 07-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Banned
Short answer is "Yes". I sold a '97 Ford F150 Super Cab pickup in '06 to buy my first Fit, during one of our gas price hike emergencies. Was embarrassed to be driving around in a cab big enough for six people and no passengers, as well as rarely any load in the bed. No purpose for all of that size and weight. The Fit serves almost all needs that the truck used to, with almost twice the fuel economy.

These forums have another member who is close to 7 feet tall. He fits fine in his GD3 Fit, except for his head that is the size of a beach ball (because of his inflated self-opinion). YOU on the other hand should be quite comfortable in a new Fit.

P.s. If you are also 6+ feet wide, reconsider the Fit.

Last edited by Triskelion; 07-07-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:31 PM
I should note that some people find the seats uncomfortable in the fit, and seat comfort is very person dependent regardless of specific height. If you are using it for commuting, its worth it to be sure the seats are right for you.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by malraux
I should note that some people find the seats uncomfortable in the fit, and seat comfort is very person dependent regardless of specific height. If you are using it for commuting, its worth it to be sure the seats are right for you.
True! For me, the GE8 seats are far superior to the GD3's (where I needed extra lumbar support- don't need that now).

Old 07-07-2012, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Your friends seem to be suffering from small man syndrome.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:20 PM
I'm 6'2 and 215lbs. I wish there was one more inch of leg room in my 2012 Fit. And I wish there was 15lbs less of me! Other than that it's a great car, and I'm getting used to the seat/legroom situation.

Don't fall in love with the Fit until you test drive one. You should be fine in it, but there's only one way to know.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
6'5"...get it.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm 6'1" 205 and have a bunch of room! The Honda Fit is the largest small car I have experienced!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
You get a lot more kit with the CR-V compared to the Fit, but its 5k more. Go drive both and see what you like better.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
Not to mention you can potentially get a good deal on a CR-V but don't expect much on a Fit since Honda loses money on each Fit sold in America.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
Tell 'em all to suck it and get a Mini Cooper roadster or a CRZ. Any 6'+ man that drives a car that small has to have a dick the size of baseball bat.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:15 AM
5 Year Member
Nothing of value to offer large Idahoan, but thanks for the laugh J. I'm unable to even crack 66.5kg (normally at 64~65), body just keeps on keeping on with its metabolic rate of destroying everything consumed quickly and efficiently.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:28 AM
how come I didn't even reach 5'5

Old 07-09-2012, 08:59 AM
6'3" and I have plenty of room. The money you save will help you more than make up for the ribbing you might get.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:23 AM
How long is your daily commute?

I replaced a car I was getting 25mpg with, and the gas savings alone offset more than half my car payment. I do commute a lot though, about 24K miles a year. Do the math, go with a conservative 32mpg and figure out how much you'll save in gas.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
I'm exactly your same size, 6' 1" and 210lbs and the Fit has plenty of room for me. The only thing I wish was different is the dash by my right knee. I just don't understand why they didn't shave off the protrusion of the dash where the right knee hits because another inch of room there would make a big difference. But, plenty of room other than that. My second choice was a Mazda 3 hatch, which I liked more in a lot of ways. But the Mazda just didn't have the leg and head room in the back seat that the Fit does and I wasn't sure about Mazda reliability compared to Honda.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by massivepotato
Hey there. I'm trying to decide if I should get a Fit or not.....

My dilemma is thusly:

I've like the Fit since it was first released years ago. I like the design. I like the practicality, reliability, the low cost for purchase, modesty of the car, the low cost of maintenance, gas mileage, functionality and the overall class of this vehicle.

I currently drive a full size extended cab, 4WD, 8 cylinder monster that I used to use, but no longer do other than a daily back and forth driver. It gets 15mpg and is the size of a boat. It once was a great necessity, now I no longer have any use for it as my line of work has changed to sedentary type.

I am looking to replace my current vehicle now since it still sells private party for $16000.

I really wanna downsize.

My needs? A daily reliable driver in a flat area that never sees snow and is cheap to run.

I am on the fence about the Honda Fit and the Honda CRV. Not sure which I should get.

I am 6'1 and 210lbs. Everyone I talk to says I'll look like a fool if I buy the Fit and that I need to get a car that strangely enough "fits" me, like the CRV. Though I test-drove a Fit and there was more room in it seemingly than the CRV.... It seems everyone around me is a member of the "big guy" stereotype club. At my "size" apparently I'm only respectable if I get a Cadillac Escalade with 3 rows of seating and a V10 in it and something like the CRV is just "acceptable enough".

My second issue is I fear that once I get the Fit something will come up where it may not be enough (snow, moving to a hilly area, etc....) for whatever reason....

I know it's my decision and what others think of me is basically should be none of my concern, but I just want some honest opinions from people that have actually owned one of these things. People of all kinds. I especially wanna hear from members of the "Big Guy Club" who are my size and have to face the stereotype that unless we roll in an Escalade we aren't men.

Thoughts? Ideas?

To begin, I'm not the only 6ft 2, 235lb Fit driver out here and my Fit serves well as my daily driver and gofer. 28 t0 40 mpg, in suburbia and intersterstate, its an automatic with pasddle shifters, so you'll fit fine. If you want to haul heavy stuff or tow a small trailer an Air Lift kit will take care of those. Unlike the idiot car mags I'm not going to advise you whether the seats are good, the dash ergonomic, or the ambiance is good; you'll have to do that yourself cause your butt, arms, and eyes aren't like mine. But mechanically, driving capasbility, and function the Fit is hard to beat. If you need to hauil people in back you may want to Nissan version of the Fit. (Versa). Its not as reliable per CR but ours was good with no issues.
Aftermarket, the Fit is virtually hands down the econocar champion; its easier to name th stuff not available instead of the things that are. Some stuff not specifically advertised has been 'solved' by posters on this site.
And if you get the auto with paddle shifters you can be Sebastian for entertainment.

Quick Reply: Should I Get a New Fit?