2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is the FIT right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Is the FIT right for me?

Sorry if this questions has been asked too much, but I'm strongly considering buying the FIT A/T...

Background:
I live in Saint Paul, MN where we get a decent amount of snow and occasional sub zero temperature. I've driven FWD compact cars before with decent all season tires with no major problems.

I've actually driven the fit a few times due to the Hourcar rental near my home. I really like driving it due to the visibility and ease of access, although the UVA waves are a concern (perhaps solved by tinting). Plus it's pretty inexpensive and they're plenty to choose from this summer at the dealership. I've also looked at the Impreza, Mazda3, Focus, Elantra hatchbacks but probably prefer driving the FIT overall.

Questions:
1. Is the fit any worse than most FWD in the snow? I see quite a few FITs this summer but not sure if they're manual or stowed during the winter. I'm willing to spend the money on winter tires and I can commute to work by bus if need be during bad snow storms. But unfortunately my parking spot is in an alley with a brief but steep grade. I've had trouble with my old Corolla.
2. Does the base or sport have higher ground clearance? (Having a hard time finding this online). Consumer reports has the sport having better ground clearance but that doesn't make sense, however their tested model is '09 I believe.
3. Is the lower ground clearance enough to warrant making a decision between the two in my case (snow)?

Thanks a lot !

Old 07-05-2012, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by skinny557
Sorry if this questions has been asked too much, but I'm strongly considering buying the FIT A/T...

Background:
I live in Saint Paul, MN where we get a decent amount of snow and occasional sub zero temperature. I've driven FWD compact cars before with decent all season tires with no major problems.

I've actually driven the fit a few times due to the Hourcar rental near my home. I really like driving it due to the visibility and ease of access, although the UVA waves are a concern (perhaps solved by tinting). Plus it's pretty inexpensive and they're plenty to choose from this summer at the dealership. I've also looked at the Impreza, Mazda3, Focus, Elantra hatchbacks but probably prefer driving the FIT overall.

Questions:
1. Is the fit any worse than most FWD in the snow? I see quite a few FITs this summer but not sure if they're manual or stowed during the winter. I'm willing to spend the money on winter tires and I can commute to work by bus if need be during bad snow storms. But unfortunately my parking spot is in an alley with a brief but steep grade. I've had trouble with my old Corolla.
2. Does the base or sport have higher ground clearance? (Having a hard time finding this online). Consumer reports has the sport having better ground clearance but that doesn't make sense, however their tested model is '09 I believe.
3. Is the lower ground clearance enough to warrant making a decision between the two in my case (snow)?

Thanks a lot !
The Fit is as good as any 2wd; like most the going in snow is strictly dependent on the tires you choose. Consult tirerack winter tests
And ground clearance is dependent on tire choice. A narrower tire is better that a fat tire for snow.

Last edited by mahout; 07-05-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
I live in Rochester, MN, and have a 2012 Fit AT. I kept the stock tires on this winter. One day, when there was about .5 to 1 inch of compacted snow on the roads, I actually tried to get the car to skid just to see how it would react. I approached the turn into my office, gave the car some gas and tugged the wheel to the left. The car went straight on for a split second, then the stability control kicked in, corrected the car's under-steer, and I went around the turn just fine. This was on the stock tires. Most brand new cars today have Stability Control, pair that with winter tires and you would be safe and secure in almost any conditions. If you can work remote like I can, then you can even get away without winter tires if you drive carefully. Although it is probably best if you have a short commute or can keep driving to minimum until the roads are decent. They do a pretty good job in Rochester.

I doubt the ground clearance is much of an issue. I have a sport, and the largest piles of snow I'd have to drive though were always the snow gathered around my car in the parking lot at work. The Fit never hesitated to break out of those 5-6 inches of snow.

Honestly, the heat so far has been a much larger problem. I park my car facing away from the evening sun so my car is manageable after work. However, I took my car into the dealer on Tuesday, and they parked it facing the Sun. The car was almost un-driveable. Here in MN, the most tint you can get is 50%, which is very light. It would help, but you should still plan on running the A/C quite a bit.

Welcome to FF! I actually got my Fit at Luther Hopkins Honda, they are close to the twin cities area. I made a payment calculator/amortization schedule for anyone to use. Find it here.

Last edited by Under_Score; 07-05-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Under_Score
I live in Rochester, MN, and have a 2012 Fit AT. I kept the stock tires on this winter. One day, when there was about .5 to 1 inch of compacted snow on the roads, I actually tried to get the car to skid just to see how it would react. I approached the turn into my office, gave the car some gas and tugged the wheel to the left. The car went straight on for a split second, then the stability control kicked in, corrected the car's under-steer, and I went around the turn just fine. This was on the stock tires. Most brand new cars today have Stability Control, pair that with winter tires and you would be safe and secure in almost any conditions. If you can work remote like I can, then you can even get away without winter tires if you drive carefully. Although it is probably best if you have a short commute or can keep driving to minimum until the roads are decent. They do a pretty good job in Rochester.

I doubt the ground clearance is much of an issue. I have a sport, and the largest piles of snow I'd have to drive though were always the snow gathered around my car in the parking lot at work. The Fit never hesitated to break out of those 5-6 inches of snow.

Honestly, the heat so far has been a much larger problem. I park my car facing away from the evening sun so my car is manageable after work. However, I took my car into the dealer on Tuesday, and they parked it facing the Sun. The car was almost un-driveable. Here in MN, the most tint you can get is 50%, which is very light. It would help, but you should still plan on running the A/C quite a bit.

Welcome to FF! I actually got my Fit at Luther Hopkins Honda, they are close to the twin cities area. I made a payment calculator/amortization schedule for anyone to use. Find it here.
Wow, thanks a lot! I assume the Fit is your primary vehicle?

Old 07-06-2012, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member

For trhose of us in yankee land, understand that your penalty is having lots of snow so there is equipment to keep snow levels down. Down here in morale victory land when we have snow only major paths get clerared and crossing thee path means big ridges of snow that sometimes are very difficult to traverse. (the same issue I noticed in MN when I visited so ground clearance is importasnt).
You're lucky or driving pretty slow that the stability control worked. Most of the time whenever traveling pretty quickly onicy roads stability control doesn't work very well because its designed for dry or wet roads on tires tat have traction. As soon as no traction conditions are encountered stabilyt control is of limited value. The actions programmed to the tires just doesn't work well if what is programmed is on tires that do not react the way the program expects.
Its the same argument 4wd runs into when traction on all 4 wheels is lost and suddenly find themselves with nio control looking for the place they will land.
The final argument in snowland is the proper choice of tires. They're not alike; check tirerack testing and results..
If heat is the issue one of the windshield heat relectors seem to offer good results in the the sunny south where we've had a week of sustained 100+ temps and high humidity; you'd think we're in New Orleans. They've sprouted everywhere.

Last edited by mahout; 07-06-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
For trhose of us in yankee land, understand that your penalty is having lots of snow so there is equipment to keep snow levels down. Down here in morale victory land when we have snow only major paths get clerared and crossing thee path means big ridges of snow that sometimes are very difficult to traverse. (the same issue I noticed in MN when I visited so ground clearance is importasnt).
You're lucky or driving pretty slow that the stability control worked. Most of the time whenever traveling pretty quickly onicy roads stability control doesn't work very well because its designed for dry or wet roads on tires tat have traction. As soon as no traction conditions are encountered stabilyt control is of limited value. The actions programmed to the tires just doesn't work well if what is programmed is on tires that do not react the way the program expects.
Its the same argument 4wd runs into when traction on all 4 wheels is lost and suddenly find themselves with nio control looking for the place they will land.
The final argument in snowland is the proper choice of tires. They're not alike; check tirerack testing and results..
If heat is the issue one of the windshield heat relectors seem to offer good results in the the sunny south where we've had a week of sustained 100+ temps and high humidity; you'd think we're in New Orleans. They've sprouted everywhere.

That is all completely true. I was not brave enough to try my test any faster than I did. I was being curious, not crazy . Honestly, if I were going 5-10mph faster with stock, all-season tires on pretty much any vehicle I would have been doing some unwanted off-roading. I still think it says something about the technology and grip of the 2012 Fit.

I grew up in "Yankee-Land", so I know what you mean. We are spoiled in my region of MN.

Wow, thanks a lot! I assume the Fit is your primary vehicle?
Yes, it is my faithful daily driver.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Here in Alabama we don't have much trouble with snow, so I can't comment on that part.

But, window tinting will really help with heat in the summer. It definitely did in mine. Here in Alabama they only allow 32% which is much better than stock, but still not as dark as I would have liked. I would suggest going as dark as is legal in your area and get the top strip on the windshield as well. Dark tinted window visors can also help.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
One of the reasons I chose the Fit over the Fiesta is the clearance for snow chains on the tires. I realize that chains seem to only be used in the mountain West, but that is an issue up here, as they are legally required on all 2wd vehicles, regardless of tires. The stock Dunlops are terrible anyway. My 2010 does not have stability control but I have driven in snow up here for decades. I had no trouble with an old RWD BMW.

I think the Sport has less clearance than the Base, but that is an issue unless your roads are plowed. If the snow is deep, I take the 4x4 Tundra.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 PM
The FIT has a standard stability control system which I found works well! Every time I get in my FIT I say "I love my FIT!" I think its because I have not found a compromise to owning the car yet. I came from a Lexus GS400 for reference.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:08 PM
I've had my Fit for about 10 months now, and can honestly say - not once have I had an issue with it in snow, here in Tampa FL!!!

Old 07-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Well, if you have zero traction only luck will save you. But if there's some traction, in general I'd put my faith in a computer with millisecond inputs and calculations rather than anyone's driving ability.

And Mahout, about matching the program to the tires, is that something you've heard from programmers who actually wrote the code, or just a guess? Because I'd imagine that regardless of the type of tire, the stability control would see what's happening based on input and sensors and adjust accordingly. After all, regardless of what type of tire the programmer expects, every situation would be a little different and would require different adjustment. Plus, I can't imagine that the lawyers would allow a car maker to build a stability control system that won't work with anything but the stock tires.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Well then! Skinny tires are better in snow. I had no idea. I will have to do a bit of reading up!

I used to drive a GMC ACADIA up to a few months ago when we got our first small car (Fit). We simply don't need the big truck in the city. We used to live in the boonies.

The snow up here in Québec gets pretty nasty. And in Montréal the snow removal is often less than adequate. I had to plow over mounds of snow last winter with my 4 wheel drive ACADIA and barely made it to work some days.

I have no idea what next winter in my Fit will bring...But I will pack a shovel in the trunk!

I don't think the ground clearance between the two models ( base vs sport) will help me next year....

That Imprezza has a 4 wheel drive model no? (I think that trim level is 7000-8000$ more than a Sport Fit) might be worth reconsidering that model of car if snow is an issue where you live...

It's too bad we can't all live in Cali...

AT vs MT....I'm no Mario Andretti but me thinks if you are stuck in the snow bank neither will help much...

35% all around made a huge difference in the summer wrt heat in the car.

I fully expect the anti-skid business in my Fit will save my ass a couple of times next winter. Hahaha

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 07-07-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:41 AM
I think a new Fit would Fit you just fine I have to ask what is this stuff called snow?

Old 07-07-2012, 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by zilla8
I think a new Fit would Fit you just fine I have to ask what is this stuff called snow?
No fair! Try a drive up Bear Mountain... Congrats on your Stanley Cup victory!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the replies.

My last question (for now), is there anything specific about the fit that makes it worse in the snow compared to other FWD?

Old 07-07-2012, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
It weighs less than other FWD cars in general, which can be a disadvantage. The reason skinny tires work well is because the are forced deeper into snow, and therefore have a better chance to grip the actual road surface. Less weigh means the tires won't have as much weight on them, and won't sink as much.

However, in the Fit's price range, there aren't really any cars that are heavier enough to show a significant difference. You would probably only notice the additional weight if you stepped up to something like a VW Jetta.

I think the real question is, are you forced to drive somewhere if there is more than 3 inches of not-yet-plowed snow on the roads? If yes, then I would at least consider something with such driving in mind. If not, then enjoy the extra value, versatility, and reliability of the Fit!

Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 PM
It weighs less than other FWD cars in general, which can be a disadvantage. The reason skinny tires work well is because the are forced deeper into snow, and therefore have a better chance to grip the actual road surface. Less weigh means the tires won't have as much weight on them, and won't sink as much.

However, in the Fit's price range, there aren't really any cars that are heavier enough to show a significant difference. You would probably only notice the additional weight if you stepped up to something like a VW Jetta.

I think the real question is, are you forced to drive somewhere if there is more than 3 inches of not-yet-plowed snow on the roads? If yes, then I would at least consider something with such driving in mind. If not, then enjoy the extra value, versatility, and reliability of the Fit!
Fortunately I'm not forced to drive anywhere in my current situation. I love taking the bus in the winter storms . However I would need to move my car to street parking since I park in an alley that needs to be cleared.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Regarding alternatives, there are probably some heavier cars available in the price range of a Fit Sport - Toyota Corolla, maaaaybe a Suzuki pickup or something. Fit's not going to be much worse than anything else 2WD.

The base is going to have more clearance, and smaller wheels, than the Sport.

If you really like 4WD the Impreza (all Subarus actually) has it. It's a few $0000 more than the Fit, though. But at one point, when I was shopping for a CRV because I was moving up north, my VT friends all told me that the real issue is stopping, not going, and that 2WD with snow tires was actually better than 4WD without. And having owned that CRV for a while, as well as many 2WD cars before, I have to agree fully.

I think the most important things to keep you safe in the snow are:
1. Driving smartly
2. Tires
3. Weight
4. Stability control
5. 4WD

Last, plenty of lightly used cars available that would be larger and heavier (CRV, RAV4, tons of others) if you're willing and the snow performance is a major issue.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Regarding alternatives, there are probably some heavier cars available in the price range of a Fit Sport - Toyota Corolla, maaaaybe a Suzuki pickup or something. Fit's not going to be much worse than anything else 2WD.

The base is going to have more clearance, and smaller wheels, than the Sport.

If you really like 4WD the Impreza (all Subarus actually) has it. It's a few $0000 more than the Fit, though. But at one point, when I was shopping for a CRV because I was moving up north, my VT friends all told me that the real issue is stopping, not going, and that 2WD with snow tires was actually better than 4WD without. And having owned that CRV for a while, as well as many 2WD cars before, I have to agree fully.

I think the most important things to keep you safe in the snow are:
1. Driving smartly
2. Tires
3. Weight
4. Stability control
5. 4WD

Last, plenty of lightly used cars available that would be larger and heavier (CRV, RAV4, tons of others) if you're willing and the snow performance is a major issue.
Thanks for this. I've actually looked closely at the imprezas (almost bought one) but couldn't bring myself to pay $22.5k (MSRP $23k) for a small car, they're in such low supply here. I didn't like driving it either.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Well, if you have zero traction only luck will save you. But if there's some traction, in general I'd put my faith in a computer with millisecond inputs and calculations rather than anyone's driving ability.

And Mahout, about matching the program to the tires, is that something you've heard from programmers who actually wrote the code, or just a guess? Because I'd imagine that regardless of the type of tire, the stability control would see what's happening based on input and sensors and adjust accordingly. After all, regardless of what type of tire the programmer expects, every situation would be a little different and would require different adjustment. Plus, I can't imagine that the lawyers would allow a car maker to build a stability control system that won't work with anything but the stock tires.

I heard this from those programmers and my own experience writing programmed testing vehicle performance. Stability programs are excellent approaches to controlling a vehicle for the average driver. If I gave the impression that the progrms are written for a specific tire, I didn't intend that; those programs are written primarily for all tires. They are written for dry and wet conditions regardless of the tire but they are not very applicable to icy conditions because they depend on actions to tires that 'steady', alter course, and slow down a vehicle using specific applied braking to tires in a specic pattern when traction losses are detected. In icy conditions those actions have little effect on the vehicle path, because the applied brakes have little or no effect on the tire traction, intended or otherwise, so stability control has less use. Even 4wd stability ciontrol has limited results under those conditions. The solution of course is not get in 'over your head'. If the speed is low enough stability control has some benefit and thats beneficial.

Quick Reply: Is the FIT right for me?