2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2012 Paint quality...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by gdhi11
I would think you coming into the dealer with a raised voice would have them trying to fix the situation as quickly as possible
People who try that in my office gets kicked out!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SgtBaxter
Correct, NuFinish is a polish not a wax. It does however contain polymers that bond to the clear coat to protect it, and that shouldn't break down as fast as waxes. I believe it was one of the first clear coat polishes. I've used it on every vehicle I've owned, except my old Miata because that car wasn't clear coated.

Another product I like in addition to NuFinish is Liquid Lustre.

I've tried every damn thing out there, I always go back to NuFinish or Liquid Lustre because nothing works better than those two and I have to polish the car half as much. They're also half the price.
It's strong words to say "nothing" works better and you've tried every thing, if you really haven't tried everything.

If you want latest and greatest the next generational shift is nano-glass/silicon/quartz type products. This is truly something different (but costly also).

At least poke around autopia or other detailing forums, nufinish is good, but at it's best it's just the best in the mass-market consumer tier. There are plenty of threads you can find that will say get xyz instead for just a few bucks more for an even better result.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:05 PM
IMO the Fit's paint is TERRIBLY thin, but I don't have any application issues (missing clearcoat, showing primer, etc).

I'd take it back to the dealership, they'll probably fix it for you if it's still under warranty. If not i'd call corporate.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:24 PM
My fit has less than 30k on it and every time I washed it I noticed more and more imperfections. So much that when I had some I took it in for a small fender bender on the rear bumper, I had them re-paint the entire front end. And it wasn't just a chipping issue either. I know especially low cars can get a lot of rock chips. But my car was fading heavily in quite a few spots, ie. fog light indents, and the area under the grille. in my opinion there is no reason for a car that new to be doing that. Especially for how meticulous I am about taking care of the paint.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping the paint isn't as thin as you guys say. Makes me look bad

Not to big a deal though, I'll just have my Bro repaint it for a nominal fee. probably put a good thick and possibly darker orange paint on it. I have a 2012 burnt orange and it looks really good in the evening when it picks up a lot more blue tint from the setting sun.

My neighbor has an older fit, I think it's an 07 but not sure. Paint is holding up reasonably well on it and he's pushing 120k.

Last edited by gdhi11; 07-02-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 07-02-2012, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
How about Meguire's "cleaner wax"? As long as we're on the topic

I've used the in the past and been quite happy - but always with cars which have at least 50k miles on the finish ... :/ ... still applicable to new car?

Old 07-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
How about Meguire's "cleaner wax"? As long as we're on the topic

I've used the in the past and been quite happy - but always with cars which have at least 50k miles on the finish ... :/ ... still applicable to new car?
Mcguires cleaner wax is really good at dealing with a car that's got some miles and needs some extra attention. I wouldn't use it on a new car because it does contain a mild abrasive to help smooth out clear/paint spots that are somewhat rough.

I don't think it would necessarily be bad for the paint but I just don't like using abrasives when the paint is in good shape. Same curing process voodoo applies regardless. :P

Old 07-03-2012, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
I did a bunch of research today and am changing to Meguiars Ultimate Wax (really a paint sealer).

Meguiars Professional Car Care Products : Meguiars Distributor

Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

Mcguires cleaner wax is really good at dealing with a car that's got some miles and needs some extra attention. I wouldn't use it on a new car because it does contain a mild abrasive to help smooth out clear/paint spots that are somewhat rough.

I don't think it would necessarily be bad for the paint but I just don't like using abrasives when the paint is in good shape. Same curing process voodoo applies regardless. :P

Last edited by AC7880; 07-03-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
here's the scoop. Due to laws on VOCs in paints, Pretty much all paint on new cars is "worse" and less durable than older cars where they could use the less enviro-friendly paint. This goes across the board regardless of make.

If the OP is still around, the "thin" spots or parts that didn't get fully painted a flaw in the painting process though and different from above. I don't think it's worth trying to fix it, maybe you can negotiate for some other service in exchange.

As a side note, dry cleaning also had chemicals banned, so pretty much all drycleaning should be "green" too despite the advertisements. Still are better off with a drycleaner who has jumped on the green bandwagon earlier and had more experience with the equipment/process.

Last edited by raytseng; 07-03-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by raytseng
here's the scoop. Due to laws on VOCs in paints, Pretty much all paint on new cars is "worse" and less durable than older cars where they could use the less enviro-friendly paint. This goes across the board regardless of make.

If the OP is still around, the "thin" spots or parts that didn't get fully painted a flaw in the painting process though and different from above. I don't think it's worth trying to fix it, maybe you can negotiate for some other service in exchange.

As a side note, dry cleaning also had chemicals banned, so pretty much all drycleaning should be "green" too despite the advertisements. Still are better off with a drycleaner who has jumped on the green bandwagon earlier and had more experience with the equipment/process.
Oooooh! So that's why a lot of the newer cars seem to have garbage paint--and probably why there are a lot more "soft paint" issues.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by raytseng
Yeah, the only way to "fix" would be to do stuff like take the doors off and spray the B-pillars.

Even on the hatch, the outside looks great, the inside is just a thin coat of paint and no clearcoat. Is that the way it is on everyone else's? Every other car I've owned had full paint/clearcoat in such spots. It's not going to "go bad" over time or anything, it just looks cheap.

I'm waiting for cargo liner I ordered to come in, when I take the car back this weekend I plan to show it to them.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by SgtBaxter
Yeah, the only way to "fix" would be to do stuff like take the doors off and spray the B-pillars.

Even on the hatch, the outside looks great, the inside is just a thin coat of paint and no clearcoat. Is that the way it is on everyone else's? Every other car I've owned had full paint/clearcoat in such spots. It's not going to "go bad" over time or anything, it just looks cheap.

I'm waiting for cargo liner I ordered to come in, when I take the car back this weekend I plan to show it to them.

When you say the area is not fully painted, do you see the primer? Or is the surface fully painted the same color as the rest of your fit, but lacking the shiny clear top coat?

My car is fully painted but has no shine (clear coat?) in a few spots. Under my hood is not clear coated, nor the inside rear hatch. That may be the only two areas on my car. I have an 09.

I'm pretty sure the inside b pillars were coated, but it's been years, and I always wax...oops, seal them.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Yes, on the B pillars about halfway down where the rubber from the backdoor meets the pillar, the paint is so thin the primer shows through. I've meant to take a photo, but never remember during the day.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Just checked. All the paint on the inside of all the doors are not clear coated.
I believe the B pillar on my car is.

There is no primer showing anywhere. I have a red one and the hood has dozens, maybe a hundred small pinprick chips that are white. So I guess the primer is white on my color.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
After two years you will have mutiple (6-10) paint chips on the the front bumper, 3-5 on the hood and probably 1 or 2 on the pillars.

The paint is super thin and is very easily chipped, its a known issue by many on here

Old 07-09-2012, 11:48 PM

your arm would fall off before the abrasives in a consumer brand cleaner wax would compromise a modern clear coat protected finish

Old 07-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by Yaris_to_Fit
your arm would fall off before the abrasives in a consumer brand cleaner wax would compromise a modern clear coat protected finish
I agree to an extent. Using abrasives one time on a "modern clear coat" is probably not going to do anything but after a lifetime of that your paint may be affected--depending on frequency of waxing etc. I would still think there would have to be some environmental abuse or something as well but still, I would want to start off on the right foot.

This'll be my last paint post--I've got clear on my B-pillars and in the door jams. Under the hood--like new BMWs it's light clear/satin finish.

I still think a lot of people believe modern paint is a lot more durable than it is. You can be one of them or you can be smart about it--not trolling just saying I've seen a lot-definitely more than most.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 AM
This is such a bummer to hear that the 2012 Fit paint might suck. Urg. I did notice like someone mentioned that the wheel wells are strange on this car, looks like they just painted over some caulking? Any aftermarket wheel well protection out there?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by britdevine
After two years you will have mutiple (6-10) paint chips on the the front bumper, 3-5 on the hood and probably 1 or 2 on the pillars.

The paint is super thin and is very easily chipped, its a known issue by many on here
Since it's a "known issue" what are people doing to deal with it? What wash methods, products, wax, sealent, etc. are people using? I bought this car to drive not enclose in a "plastic bubble"! Every time I wash this car I find new chips. When I drive on the freeway I will not drive behind others (especially trucks) if I can help it, for fear that they will kick up rocks. I've already been bashed on here by haters telling me it's me...so please, none of that.

Thanks!
M

Old 08-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Fit Club
Since it's a "known issue" what are people doing to deal with it? What wash methods, products, wax, sealent, etc. are people using? I bought this car to drive not enclose in a "plastic bubble"! Every time I wash this car I find new chips. When I drive on the freeway I will not drive behind others (especially trucks) if I can help it, for fear that they will kick up rocks. I've already been bashed on here by haters telling me it's me...so please, none of that.

Thanks!
M
I plan on getting my car (2010 Sport TW) repainted with more coats of paint and clear. I started another thread a few days ago, before I saw this thread, about how I was trying to rub off some road dirt on the door with a microfiber towel and I actually scraped off a layer of paint. I can now see a faint black underneath the white. The paint on this car is really thin throughout, inside and out, not just door jams, engine bay, etc.

Yes it's extreme, but I'm really unhappy with it now.

Last edited by ninjaap; 08-26-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Paint quality...