2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

HELP.. I need a drivers ed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
Driver's ed isn't a requirement to get a license, but you will save on insurance if you take it.
I don't know how it is in Colorado, but here in the OP's state, California, it is a requirement if he's a minor getting his first driver's license or provisional permit. And to my knowledge, there is no insurance discount here for having taken driver's education - that wouldn't make any sense since everybody's taken the course.

Boyfit just look on the California DMV website and find the answers to your questions. Most of them are probably in the FAQs section. You really shouldn't be asking these kinds of questions on forums because you can't rely on people's responses. You're going to get a lot of false information. Just get it straight from the source (the DMV) so you know it's right.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
I don't know how it is in Colorado, but here in the OP's state, California, it is a requirement if he's a minor getting his first driver's license or provisional permit. And to my knowledge, there is no insurance discount here for having taken driver's education - that wouldn't make any sense since everybody's taken the course.

Boyfit just look on the California DMV website and find the answers to your questions. Most of them are probably in the FAQs section. You really shouldn't be asking these kinds of questions on forums because you can't rely on people's responses. You're going to get a lot of false information. Just get it straight from the source (the DMV) so you know it's right.
dodctordoom- thanks for the info. I was unaware it is required in CA. Do most schools include it as a course? It is optional here in Colorado & the cost to take the class these days is almost $400. Was in the $250 range back in the 1990's when my kids took it. I wanted them to be safe drivers. Since it is optional here, if you complete the class, you get a 10% or so discount on insurance premiums, another 10% if kid maintains at least a B average. I told my kids, if you maintain the B average I pay the insurance, if not, they were responsible for the cost difference.

I think this kid is jerking us around, too.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
.....Was in the $250 range back in the 1990's when my kids took it.......
Since it is optional here, if you complete the class, you get a 10% or so discount on insurance premiums.....
It was the same here in NY when I took drivers ed in HS, but that was a little over 20 yrs ago. 10% discount on insurance w/ drivers ed.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
read thread, read links. All info is there. Some of you posting about your own state that is not CA, are just as bad as the OP of just posting without reading

Even 20years ago, driver's ed was required for teens (under 18). Then you had permit before license.

Within last decade, they threw in another tier as "restricted" license for teens which is something that is "relatively" new that most older CA people don't know about.

So maybe it's plausible you don't know about latest "recent" change about restricted license, but the stuff about driver's ed is stuff that's been around for 20years+

Last edited by raytseng; 06-28-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
I think this kid is jerking us around, too.
Looks like a duck!