2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

bad mpg

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 02:22 PM
I get about 120 to 150 miles per tank, but I fill at 1/2 tank

Old 06-25-2012, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Truthfully I'd rather have my car last until 200k and look good while doing it then get 40 mpg...that said I'm around 25 mpg and occasionally get a 22mpg on fuelly when filling up. Driving style stays the same but mpg vary tank to tank and station to station. I've tried them all and all octanes. Still trying to find the optimum combination...

Old 07-02-2012, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
My 09 Sport with 5sp got 35+ in Philadelphia and 45 + on the open hiways to ILL. Even got 50 mpg in Vermont once, but that was a LOT of downhill. Just changed tires, though, and mpg seems to suffer. Or maybe the sensor doesn't read the 195/55/16 General GMax AS03's the way it did the garbage OEM's.

Last edited by 55-1218; 07-02-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
well i drive liek a crazy ass nigga liek im in a race track all day lol haha jp just 3 times a day lol ahaha guess im not playing hmm well i get liek 27.4 mpg city cuz i do alot and long distenace im getting liek 39.1 but i did notice a diff in gass when i put the intake ofcourse drained it lol then punching lol allthe time but when i had it on i was getting good miles lol 30city 40hiway

Old 07-02-2012, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
We've gotten hundreds of new car buyers in all makes come in here complaining about how they're getting less mpg than the ***** salesman promised them. (They quote highway mpg from the EPA testing procedure, which nobody drives) Just like the ads you see now where they claim 40 mpg; unless its downhill on an uncrowded interstate with a tail wind even the highway mileage is out of reach. Savvy buyers know they'll get about city mpg or a little better. You should hear the stories they come in here regaling the verbal fisticuffs with sales people over mpg.

The EPA mpg test is strictly for comparing one vehicle with anotgher where mopg is determined by a 'precise' and dedfinite driving cycle and then 'corrected' for aero based on the aerodynamic drag coefficient, which isn't measured by the EPA but 'provided' by manufacturers.
I don't know about this. I mean I believe your story entirely, it's not at all surprising to hear that many people don't get the promised mpg. But I think it's not so much that savvy drivers should expect to get city MPG or slightly better; I think they should expect to get that if they drive like an ... idiot? You could select other words.

Every car I have owned I have been able to average, over time, something slightly better than the highway MPG. Certainly there are situations where you can't: you're in a traffic jam, you are carrying a lawn mower, you're running from zombies, you live at the bottom of a hill, etc. But in general, if one drives in the manner of what James May calls "Christian motoring," ie in a calm and dignified fashion, with the occasional foot-down when necessary, then anyone can expect to do that. If you can't, I think there's a 5% chance that your car is not performing well, and a 95% chance that the driver isn't.

How you explain this to an upset customer is anyone's guess. Luckily, I can be honest in this forum.

That's my two cents. Hope it helps!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
James May calls "Christian motoring,"
thanks i'll be using that in the future, haven't caught Top Gear in ages.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
Am I one of the few who knows the EPA numbers are just for comparative purposes?

Old 07-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by Wafulz
well i drive liek a crazy ass nigga liek im in a race track all day lol haha jp just 3 times a day lol ahaha guess im not playing hmm well i get liek 27.4 mpg city cuz i do alot and long distenace im getting liek 39.1 but i did notice a diff in gass when i put the intake ofcourse drained it lol then punching lol allthe time but when i had it on i was getting good miles lol 30city 40hiway
do you really not know how to spell like or are you trying to be cool by spelling it liek that?

Old 07-03-2012, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matt1357
do you really not know how to spell like or are you trying to be cool by spelling it liek that?
Is that your only complaint in that post? Incredible bastardization of the English language going on in the whole damn post. I gave up trying to read it, because, well I know it will not really make me stupid and start typing out in a way that makes me look ignorant to others, but I just hate even trying to decipher nonsense like that.

phrancis, you may want to consider putting the JDM final drive into your car instead of the USDM final. Your acceleration will be a bit slower, you will drop about 300~400rpms on the highway at cruising speeds, which may help, but then again may hurt too with FE as the motor is further from its sweet spot. Your 5th gear is already a bit tall. Or you may consider dropping in the CR-Z 6th as your 5th if you are really wanting a taller 5th. Definitely not the route I would take, but it would be nice to have a little taller than the 5th in the JDM, because right now the car is gear limited to 204km/h, hit that limit going over to Osaka last month.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 07-03-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matt1357
Punctuation (or lack thereof), capitalization, spelling, and racism are all prevalant (8-9 different mistakes or slurs) within the first 10 words. I think it took more effort to write that run-on sentence/paragraph/mess of words than it did if they were to have written it correctly.

Firefox must have been one long red squiggly line under that. I wonder if the line gets boldfaced or a deeper red, the more you screw up words.

Too bad you can't gray-out the submit button until 75% of miss-spelled words are corrected. Hmmmm Maybe I can patent it? Nah, Apple probably already got it.

As for Fuel economy. took a trip from Rutland to Brattleboro VT today and back (about 200 miles) over the Green Mountains and averaged about 38mpg. This includes the 205 width tires and Partially with A/C on during the return trip. The ONLY vehicle I've ever had that I regularly achieved the EPA numbers is the Ridgeline. every other vehicle I have had has been over by 2-10mpg. My worst rating on the fit in 38K miles is STILL above the city ratings for the vehicle.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 08-26-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kgb4187
Am I one of the few who knows the EPA numbers are just for comparative purposes?

Absolutely.
More than 95% of the people talking, not just complaining, about they aren't getting the EPA mpg not only don't know its a comparison of 'identical' driving and not driver expectations (check the disclaimers) but will argue that is what they should get. And sometimes is not enough.
We have one here that has looked very seriously at the CA case that woman won vs Honda and is considering the same.
I still cannot figure out how she won other than she must have gotten a very liberal CA judge

Old 07-03-2012, 08:27 AM
She won , IIRC, because she was a lawyer but presented the case in a venue where the other side couldn't have a lawyer. She quickly lost when Honda appealed.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
She won , IIRC, because she was a lawyer but presented the case in a venue where the other side couldn't have a lawyer. She quickly lost when Honda appealed.

Terrific. And thanks, I hasd not tracked that down. What venue didn't allow Honda to have legal representation?

Old 07-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Terrific. And thanks, I hasd not tracked that down. What venue didn't allow Honda to have legal representation?
Small claims court. And the lady was technically not a lawyer either as she intentionally delayed getting her bar renewal or something similar.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Small claims court. And the lady was technically not a lawyer either as she intentionally delayed getting her bar renewal or something similar.

When I lived in CA small claims limit was $1500; surely it hasn't increased enough to cover a Civic Hybrid. And then lawyers were perrmitted in small claims court.
What the heck did she claim? the difference between her actual mpg and Honda's - EPA - mpg?
More than twice I've had strong aruments from customers that they expect to get the EPA test results. Only once did I win by getting the procedure and having the driver drive the programmed route and speed. I got a free lunch before we got halfway through the highway test portion. Just trying to drive to the program was funny to both of us. Anyone who wants to try can get the programmed speeds and distances on line and be thoroughly entertained by trying to follow it. There's more than one reason to use a computer.
Then ofg course there are the corrections' for aero that are applied.
Then there's Toyota's cases of 'unintgended acceleration' like Audi. This time though I hope Toyota has sufficient internal computer data to completely refute those claims.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:47 PM
When I lived in CA small claims limit was $1500; surely it hasn't increased enough to cover a Civic Hybrid. And then lawyers were perrmitted in small claims court.
What the heck did she claim? the difference between her actual mpg and Honda's - EPA - mpg?
Honda loses Small Claims Court suit over Civic hybrid fuel economy - Los Angeles Times

Small claims is capped at $10k, no lawyers till the appeal. I believe her claim was the extra cost in gas, plus the diminished value of the car because it was a problem with all the civic hybrids, so the used market was much softer than it should have been.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Here's what I'm getting with my manual transmission for average commuting.

My commute is ~35 miles one way, mostly rolling country road, 45-50mph speed limits. 30mph limits through towns, and about 20 stop lights along the way:

Name:  twlBsl.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  47.1 KB

No, I don't drive like a granny I'm just really good driving a manual transmission. Smooth but quick acceleration, smooth stops out of gear way ahead of time. There are plenty of stretches I can get up to 60-65 and pop it into neutral and coast along using the momentum of the car and the terrain. I think a lot of people forget about popping into neutral with a manual transmission, using it can really extend your gas mileage. For me it's just second nature.

I'd say 50mph is the sweet spot for this car, at least it is for mine. Flat terrain at 50, the instant meter doesn't go below 50.

With hypermilling I've gotten to 48.5mpg. But that's a real pain in the ass. Easy to get above 40 combined without much thought.

Last edited by SgtBaxter; 07-03-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Honda loses Small Claims Court suit over Civic hybrid fuel economy - Los Angeles Times

Small claims is capped at $10k, no lawyers till the appeal. I believe her claim was the extra cost in gas, plus the diminished value of the car because it was a problem with all the civic hybrids, so the used market was much softer than it should have been.

Wow. Wonder what led to increasing thde limit and forbidding lawyers. My guess would be to get more property adjucated in sc rather than circuit and superior courts. not a bad idea. and getting lawyers out woukld make the 'battles' more even and better judgments except in technical matters where sc judges didn't have much expertise - and still don't.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
I have an a/t... a heavy foot... pretty aggressive on the throttle... uses premium gas... average 25.6 mpg... I stopped complaining and just keep on paddling.
Premium gas in a Fit... Surely you jest?

Old 07-27-2012, 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by david223
Premium gas in a Fit... Surely you jest?
There are LOTS of threads about this topic and people will never tire of debating it. I personally use premium but the car is safe to run on 87. There is good data that shows the Fit running more advanced ignition timing with premium over regular.

Quick Reply: bad mpg