2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Sanity check on window tint pricing

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Sanity check on window tint pricing

I know this is going to vary from region to region, but I was hoping to get a general idea here. I have no "buddies" or friend-of-a-friend contacts to help me get any discount so this is just straight up quotes here.

There's a decently reviewed place near where I work that uses the newer 3M FX Premuim film and they quoted me $239 for all 9 windows. That feels a little high, but not outrageous. Comes with lifetime manufacturer guarantee and I might have my wife's car done and get a multi-car discount.

I see some people talking about how they only paid a hundred bucks or whatever and I'm not sure how they swing that unless they have a good contact or it's perhaps cheap film, but I'm new to this so that's why I'm asking

Old 06-18-2012, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
I paid 220 for the 9 windows and a front windshield strip. Im in the DC area.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by OH FO SHO
I paid 220 for the 9 windows and a front windshield strip. Im in the DC area.
Ok it's at least in the same ballpark. I was quoted $239 *plus* $35 for the windshield strip. Little pricey. I'll see what other quotes come back as.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds about right to me. Close to what I paid for a first class job in MA.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
A little high but not too bad. I think mine was $20-40 less.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:45 PM
I paid $175

Old 06-18-2012, 07:57 PM
I got mine for 225+ Tax

Old 06-18-2012, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
I went to a higher end shop close to me and I paid $299 for the whole car. 3M, lifetime warranty and it was the better film that blocks more heat, 60% of the heat as opposed to the more popular 25% heat blocked tint that was $199. They do A+ work and stand by their labor and the products they sell; so I spent a little more but I am happy with the outcome. My car was definitely cooler today after work... my AC actually cooled the car down this time... I live in FL and it is bad in the summer...

They had a product that was pretty much clear, just a faint blue hue and they said it will block 90% of the heat from coming into the car, it was expensive. But they said they do it on a lot of hybrids and vehicles with huge sunroofs to help keep the inside cooler and take the load off the AC. I would like to get that on the front windshield someday since that is where most of the heat comes from, but it was like $250 for the windshield alone.

Last edited by jackacc; 06-18-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:13 PM
$120 for all 9 windows and an exra $20 for the entire windshield if if like (highly illegal, but no receipt. No issues. Got 3 guys at work that have it done. I think it's DUMB) but I work at Acura and get a hookup through the guy that does all ours.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
I worked mine out so it was included in the price of the car but they called it a $200 value...mind you that's only for the back 5 windows.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:00 AM
After a bit more local research, what I'm finding is that there are plenty of guys who will do the tint job for $100 - $120, but they are "iffy" and are *not* using the top end films by any means. I think I'll just pay a bit more and get the better film plus the peace of mind from going with a more reputable shop.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowplay
After a bit more local research, what I'm finding is that there are plenty of guys who will do the tint job for $100 - $120, but they are "iffy" and are *not* using the top end films by any means. I think I'll just pay a bit more and get the better film plus the peace of mind from going with a more reputable shop.
Good idea. Get a crappy tint job, and it's one problem you can't ignore.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:15 PM
The dealer did not charge me for mine, but that is about what it costs here.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:21 PM
I got no freebies from my dealer, but feel I got a good price and good service from them so I'm ok with that.

Thanks for all the comparison info guys. I've got an appointment tomorrow morning to get my tinting done. Spending the money, shouldn't have to worry about it after that.

Plus my clazzio seat covers will be here in a couple days so my Fit should look slick by the end of the week

Old 06-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowplay
I know this is going to vary from region to region, but I was hoping to get a general idea here. I'm new to this so that's why I'm asking
Same here... I have no idea how this whole tinting thing works and don't know anyone in my area. I just know that this new rolling greenhouse of mine sure needs tint. I got a few quotes around the Portland OR area and it was just over $200 for 3M or some kinda solar film type stuff installed. I don't really know what types to look out for...

Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by phrancis
Same here... I have no idea how this whole tinting thing works and don't know anyone in my area. I just know that this new rolling greenhouse of mine sure needs tint. I got a few quotes around the Portland OR area and it was just over $200 for 3M or some kinda solar film type stuff installed. I don't really know what types to look out for...
Well if it makes you feel any better, I *just* had mine done today with 3M FX Premium (that's what this shop uses) and it's gonna cost me a good chunk of change, $239 plus $35 for the strip across the windshield, but that's very good film, done by a reputable shop with a lifetime manufacturer warranty. I haven't even seen the results yet since I'm gonna pick it up in about an hour.

You're comment about the rolling greenhouse is spot on, too.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phrancis
There are a number of tint threads on the forum including this one: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...=official+tint

Old 06-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by afreespirit
There are a number of tint threads on the forum including this one: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...=official+tint

Very good thread! That's one of the first things I read when I started doing research.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member
I paid about $230 for my tint job. I went with the 3M lifetime guarantee. I would have only paid about $150 had I gone with the cheaper stuff, but I was also told that the cheaper stuff fades to a purple hue. The last thing I need are purple windows on a red Fit lol. I wanted to go limo for the rear windows but they wanted to charge an extra 5 or 10 bucks per window. So I just went with 20% in the back. and 35 up front.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:11 AM
I paid 120 for 9 windows and a strip in front

Quick Reply: Sanity check on window tint pricing