2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda continues to lose its way

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Unhappy Honda continues to lose its way

This past weekend, Honda supposedly had a special deal with above blue book trade-in values on Hondas being traded in on new ones. OK, I thought I love my Fit, but if I can get a new Civic Coupe, I could be persuaded. I went in, and there was no one manual shift Civic on the lot, and when the dealer checked, not one in the Phoenix area. It seems that Honda is committed to selling boring Chevy Biscayne type cars, with no sportiness of any kind. Boring Accords, a CR-Z that is a joke, no S-2000 anymore, no Prelude, competent but boring CR-V's, Crosstours that are well...wierd at best, and Sun city mini-vans. Now not even a m/t Civic to be had. A Civic Si? Where? The sportiest car you can get is a Fit, and lets face it, as good as it is, it ain't no sports or even sporty car. Time for Honda to go bye bye.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by wetphoto
I went in, and there was no one manual shift Civic on the lot, and when the dealer checked, not one in the Phoenix area.
When I bought my Fit I went to a Honda "superstore" and they told me the same thing, just replace "Phoenix" with "Orange County". Following this, I went down the street to a different dealership and they had 20+ Fits on hand that were MT.

I bet you they had some, they just wanted to sell you a Crosstour for the "special deal"

Honda's been losing it's way for a long time, sadly.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
When I bought my Fit I went to a Honda "superstore" and they told me the same thing, just replace "Phoenix" with "Orange County". Following this, I went down the street to a different dealership and they had 20+ Fits on hand that were MT.

I bet you they had some, they just wanted to sell you a Crosstour for the "special deal"

Honda's been losing it's way for a long time, sadly.
Yeah...mostly what I see around here are Hondas being driven by and like old ladies on the way to the church house.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
You realize its not Hondas fault that America is populated by lazy, obese drains on society right? I'm sure Honda would love to sell manual trans cars, but Americans are so lazy and unskilled they need to send mainly autos.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
To add to that, impatient as well. If Honda would sell cars in the US the way they do here, you don't grab one off the lot (there is no lot), you place an order and 6~12 weeks later your car shows up in the color and configuration you wanted.

I don't at all agree with your assessment that Honda needs to go bye bye. If you feel that way about the maker, then it should be you that goes bye bye. Am I thrilled that they don't have an enthusiast type of vehicle, no I'm not. My Fit is a real joy to drive, but would be so much better with say the 160ps output of the very first B16A in the EF8/9 or the 170ps of the 2nd gen B16A of the EG6/9 & EK4. It still wouldn't be a rocket, but that power would be more than welcomed. As it is, at least my Fit is a real pleasure to drive hard for me. It does put a smile on my face, maybe not as wide as the previous 5R, but even the AP2 that followed didn't make me smile as much.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
You realize its not Hondas fault that America is populated by lazy, obese drains on society right? I'm sure Honda would love to sell manual trans cars, but Americans are so lazy and unskilled they need to send mainly autos.
you don't like America much, do you

Old 06-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
To add to that, impatient as well. If Honda would sell cars in the US the way they do here, you don't grab one off the lot (there is no lot), you place an order and 6~12 weeks later your car shows up in the color and configuration you wanted.

I don't at all agree with your assessment that Honda needs to go bye bye. If you feel that way about the maker, then it should be you that goes bye bye. Am I thrilled that they don't have an enthusiast type of vehicle, no I'm not. My Fit is a real joy to drive, but would be so much better with say the 160ps output of the very first B16A in the EF8/9 or the 170ps of the 2nd gen B16A of the EG6/9 & EK4. It still wouldn't be a rocket, but that power would be more than welcomed. As it is, at least my Fit is a real pleasure to drive hard for me. It does put a smile on my face, maybe not as wide as the previous 5R, but even the AP2 that followed didn't make me smile as much.
Here, Honda got its reputation by having reliable, fun to drive vehicles. they are still reliable, but boring as hell, except for the Fit. If they would put a descent engine in it...meaning 50 more hp, it would be a blast. All of my previous Hondas, (5) were fun to drive. Maybe it is time to go American again. I have a new Camaro, and once I no longer need space for the grandkids in the back of the Fit, I will probably abandon Honda and get another car that has enough power to get out of its way, and some good handling to boot. Sorry to say, it appears that after 23 years, there will be no Honda in my future.

If Honda tried to sell cars the way you say they do in Japan, they wouldn't sell many cars, and would disappear. That's just not the way we do things here, and we are not going to change to what is done elsewhere. Your points about better engines were good. Hope SOMEBODY there listens.

Last edited by wetphoto; 06-12-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
you don't like America much, do you
Why would you think he doesn't like America for? because he telling the truth, most people don't know how to drive all that well let a lone drive stick. My wife waited I think 2 week for her fit to come in with a manual transmission, after that. Our dealer got two more and the sat there forever because "no wanted to drive manual" (until I got ). And if you have a new Camaro why are you looking for something fun to drive, I've Driven my friend 2010 Camaro V6 and it was fun to drive also not a manual. BTW did your Honda dealer see if they could any car you wanted in a Manual transmission, I was just thinking about the Two door Accord with the V6 I'm sure you would like that but what ever

Old 06-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by swflej1
Why would you think he doesn't like America for? because he telling the truth, most people don't know how to drive all that well let a lone drive stick. My wife waited I think 2 week for her fit to come in with a manual transmission, after that. Our dealer got two more and the sat there forever because "no wanted to drive manual" (until I got ). And if you have a new Camaro why are you looking for something fun to drive, I've Driven my friend 2010 Camaro V6 and it was fun to drive also not a manual. BTW did your Honda dealer see if they could any car you wanted in a Manual transmission, I was just thinking about the Two door Accord with the V6 I'm sure you would like that but what ever
Why? because he said Americans were fat and lazy, and proceeded to continue the insults. Perhaps Cuba would be more to his liking. The point about the Honda doldrums was that they USED to be fun to drive. Where is their "fun" car? Nowhere. An Accord is not what I wanted. I wanted a Civic Coupe. I have had numerous Civics, all with 5 speeds and all a lot of fun. My whole point was that Honda has abandoned the fun segment, and turned to the old lady crowd. The CR-Z could have been great. Instead, the wimped out with the green nonsense. Their problem, their losses.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
I LOVE America, I seriously dislike the average American.

And don't be speaking negatively of Cuba, one day you may need a Cuban doctor, they are the best in the world after all.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:23 AM
I LOVE America, I seriously dislike the average American.

And don't be speaking negatively of Cuba, one day you may need a Cuban doctor, they are the best in the world after all.
So you think you are superior, huh? And your claim that Cuban drs are the best is backed up how? But that has nothing to do with the forum, does it.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
All this Honda hate for what because one can't have what they wanted instantly. The CRZ is a hybrid how hard is that to comprehend. the Fit is an econobox one again pretty self explanatory. If you want a sport car then buy a sports car! Honda makes some of the most reliable, well engineered cars on the planet. That is a fact. Please stop the whining, if you really wanted a specific model Civic then order it and wait and get the exact car you want...problem solved!

Oh and please stop the racist comments about Cuba. I have been to Cuba and it is a fine country.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:02 AM
If you had bothered to read and think, you would have noticed that I said it is a shame that the company has gone from reliable, fun to drive cars to reliable granny boats. If you think a dictatorship is a fine country, no one will mourn your leaving

Old 06-13-2012, 01:33 AM
I've seen so much Fit & Honda hate lately on this forum, what's going on? Money is replaceable but time you'll never get back so why don't you go to the dealership of the car company you like and trade in the Fit and get that! You have to understand that Honda like any business has to appeal to the masses and not to the minority. Does it suck that we can't have cars that us as enthusiasts would love to have? Of course! But we represent 1% of sales as to where the 99% out there could care less about drive feel, power, and fun to drive as driving to them is a chore not a pleasure. All people care about is if it is reliable and if it is cheap and that's it. Moral of the story? Go out and buy the car you really want to drive and have fun

Old 06-13-2012, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
I just find it funny people say Honda is losing its way, yet the company is where it has always been. One that says otherwise, really has no real knowledge of the company. Granted, the lack of manuals offered, is a bit losing its way, but the masses of lazy drivers are the reason for that. Coupled with Government mandates on emissions, autotragics are easy to program and be able to pass those mandates easier. If your dealer wouldn't order you the car, then sorry you just have a shitty dealer, or if you are too damn impatient to wait for an ordered car, well that is your problem really. I'm right here in Japan and I had to wait 8 weeks for my Fit and when I ordered the DC5R, it was an almost 3 month wait. Dealers will not order many MT equipped vehicles, because as pointed out, the MAJORITY don't want it and the dealer doesn't want to lose money on a vehicle just sitting there.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member
So you think you are superior, huh? And your claim that Cuban drs are the best is backed up how? But that has nothing to do with the forum, does it.
Why are you putting words in my mouth? I dislike people who are lazy, its that simple.

Healthcare in Cuba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cuban medical internationalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if that's not enough, I'm a student of Latin America at one of the best schools in the Mid-West

If you had bothered to read and think, you would have noticed that I said it is a shame that the company has gone from reliable, fun to drive cars to reliable granny boats. If you think a dictatorship is a fine country, no one will mourn your leaving
Drive any of the other small cars being offered today and try to tell me how much more fun they are. The Yaris is hugely appalling.

And before you attack an entire system of government, educate yourself on the failings of 'democracy' in the developing world.

But hey, how can we expect someone to have a competent understanding of anything they bring up in their own thread.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Why are you putting words in my mouth? I dislike people who are lazy, its that simple.

Healthcare in Cuba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cuban medical internationalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if that's not enough, I'm a student of Latin America at one of the best schools in the Mid-West

Drive any of the other small cars being offered today and try to tell me how much more fun they are. The Yaris is hugely appalling.

And before you attack an entire system of government, educate yourself on the failings of 'democracy' in the developing world.

But hey, how can we expect someone to have a competent understanding of anything they bring up in their own thread.
Ah, another effete snob from the Midwest version of San Francisco. You stated that you dislike the average American, which means that you believe you are superior. As one of te leftists who hate democracy, nothing you have to say is of any further importance.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
Why? because he said Americans were fat and lazy, and proceeded to continue the insults. Perhaps Cuba would be more to his liking. The point about the Honda doldrums was that they USED to be fun to drive. Where is their "fun" car? Nowhere. An Accord is not what I wanted. I wanted a Civic Coupe. I have had numerous Civics, all with 5 speeds and all a lot of fun. My whole point was that Honda has abandoned the fun segment, and turned to the old lady crowd. The CR-Z could have been great. Instead, the wimped out with the green nonsense. Their problem, their losses.

you do understand that all the other Civic you had and drove were econobox, right? Just saying

As to the Fat and Lazy, it sounds like your an older gentleman (I am not in anyway picking on your age). But I'm sure you have seen it a lot people half your age or even 1/4 of your age are lazy I'm 28 (No I don't fall into this category because I work two job plus taking care of elder family members) and I've see it, as well as people getting fatter.

Are American workers getting lazy? - 1 - productivity & wages - MSN Money

Percentage of Overweight, Obese Americans Swells

Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Ah, another effete snob from the Midwest version of San Francisco. You stated that you dislike the average American, which means that you believe you are superior. As one of te leftists who hate democracy, nothing you have to say is of any further importance.
You are much of what is wrong with America.

Someone who is so obsessed with TINY differences in political ideals that you can't acknowledge facts from others. You ask me to bring you proof, I do so, and how are people on the left those who hate democracy? Based on the voter turnout in the US the last few decades, it seems most Americans 'hate' democracy.

And you're once again inferring false data from a statement, I dislike people who are lazy and do not pull their own (hefty) weight. That's not a very leftist view is it?

Check yoself, before you wreck yoself.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 AM
You are much of what is wrong with America.

Someone who is so obsessed with TINY differences in political ideals that you can't acknowledge facts from others. You ask me to bring you proof, I do so, and how are people on the left those who hate democracy? Based on the voter turnout in the US the last few decades, it seems most Americans 'hate' democracy.

And you're once again inferring false data from a statement, I dislike people who are lazy and do not pull their own (hefty) weight. That's not a very leftist view is it?

Check yoself, before you wreck yoself.
They may have been econoboxes, but they were fun to drive econoboxes. Lovers of a Cuban dictatorship, haters of democracy and those who state that they dislike the "average" American, are not those with"tiny" differences.

Quick Reply: Honda continues to lose its way