2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Window harmonics?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Window harmonics?

I just bought a 2012 Fit and love it! However, I've noticed that if I have the back windows down and the front up I get very loud wind harmonics and vibrations. I thought about putting on the visors, thinking this might help. Does anyone else have this problem and if so, do the visors help with this?

Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
No, the visors won't help with that situation (back open, front closed).

I recommend getting the visors anyway. Then just open up the front enough to get a light breeze on you... that will cut down on the "harmonics."

I experience that with any car I drive... not just the Fit.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
I experience that with any car I drive... not just the Fit.
Ditto.

It all depends on the position of the open windows. Although I must confess that I do seem to have more buffeting on more window configurations from the Fit than other vehicles I've owned/driven.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
It's something to do with the wagon shape. Sedans probably exhibit the same trait to a lesser degree, but I never noticed it until I had an SUV ... along with road noise from the rear suspension, it's one of the disadvantages over a sedan. But I think personally it's worth the added utility?

Old 06-09-2012, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
It's something to do with the wagon shape. Sedans probably exhibit the same trait to a lesser degree, but I never noticed it until I had an SUV ... along with road noise from the rear suspension, it's one of the disadvantages over a sedan. But I think personally it's worth the added utility?
You're right, with sedans, its less pronounced.

Going with your wagon idea, maybe its the fact that the rear door is roughly in the middle of all that space. Giving it basically minimal chance of cancelling itself out, as a sedan very little room between the door windows and the rear of the cabin. The pressure waves will "bounce" off the back and then move forward and meet the return from the front somewhere other than the rear window.

Of course, I don't really know what I'm talking about (its just a guess).

Old 06-10-2012, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
it was as bad in my m3 as it is in the fit.

crack one of the fronts about an inch it goes away.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:10 AM
It is a well know aerodynamic phenomenon. It's called cavity resonance. It is also a problem for aircraft with landing gear bays and bomb bays. The air passing over the open window forces the cavity, in this case your car interior to resonate. Just like blowing across the top of a bottle.

Yup, that's correct....the easiest way to stop that resonance, other than closing the window, is to crack the opposite front window...

This happens in every vehicle but some have it more pronounced. I would say the Fit is no worse then any other car out there!

Old 06-10-2012, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
I had a brand new Chev Malibu rental last week. On the NJ Turnpike I tried opening just the back windows. The buffetting noise became unbearable especially at higher speeds. As the previous poster said, the only relief was to crack open the front windows.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mhadden
Ditto.

It all depends on the position of the open windows. Although I must confess that I do seem to have more buffeting on more window configurations from the Fit than other vehicles I've owned/driven.
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Yup.. Have this issue in the Fit & Ridgeline.. Also had it in the altima. Every other car I had was a coupe.

~SB