2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Best coilovers for Daily Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
iirc koni yellows only need to be re-valved if you go over 600-650lbs

Old 06-08-2012, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
what do you mean by "coilover"?
Yeah I'm obviously new to coilovers, but know enough to understand that the Koni shock is still going to be similar. However, I'm wondering if anything about the construction/constant adjustment will decrease the lifespan of coilovers vs. just a shock replacement, even good coilovers. Excuse my ignorance if anything I said is way off.

P.S. I don't mind waiting/paying for Koni quality if it's really going to be as comfortable as Tein's and more reliable. I just don't want to pay more for a name and features I won't use.

Last edited by lowkeymods; 06-08-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member

coilover sleeves

koni shock

"full" coilovers

okay, what are you worried about?

Old 06-09-2012, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Swift springs + OEM shocks I expect to last me around 50,000 miles

Most coilovers go out in 1-4 years from what I understand...just checking to see why.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lowkeymods
Swift springs + OEM shocks I expect to last me around 50,000 miles

Most coilovers go out in 1-4 years from what I understand...just checking to see why.
i doubt you'd get that much out of OEM shocks with lowering springs.

the reason "most coilovers go out in 1-4 years" is because the people you have talked to rock shitty parts. my twin just posted about a guy with 250k miles on his koni shocks.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks Sol...it's comming together for me now. Last question for ya...how long do you think the coilover setup w/ Koni's will last before rebuilding it? Obviously the shock will be fine for a long time, what about the rest?

Old 06-09-2012, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
Springs will likely outlast the shock.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
it will last longer than you. and you're talking about the spring and sleeve? it's very high quality and also carries a lifetime warranty.

ground control sleeves and eibach springs. that's the setup i have on my rustegra and I'm very happy with it

Old 06-09-2012, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
So you're telling me that if I wait for this coilover setup I won't have to replace them for the life of the car, but w/ the Teins I'll be lucky to get 1+ year? No sarcasm.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
I'd probably have the Konis rebuilt at some point, but I'd assume they'd last 4-5 years.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
yes, that's pretty much it. I've been on skunk2 pro c coilovers for about 35k miles and they are toast

Old 06-09-2012, 06:29 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks SOOO much guys. I know you both had plenty of opportunity to flame me, but thanks for instead helping me make an informed decision...you know you're pretty good guys after all

Old 06-09-2012, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks SOOO much guys. I know you both had plenty of opportunity to flame me, but thanks for instead helping me make an informed decision...you know you're pretty good guys after all
I just wanted to add to this thread since it got into damping a bit, that the Swift springs and the KYB oem gas replacements could make for a great combo that lasts the life of the car. Since the swifts were designed with the oem damping characteristics, I'm thinking you'd get that "always new" feeling that people generally get with good oem replacements.

Otherwise, for comfort and durability, Konis are the answer (twin tube design) but Bilsteins have a nice edgy response with the monotube, at the expense of comfort. That has been what I've gathered over the years, and through personal experience anyways.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by hayden
Otherwise, for comfort and durability, Konis are the answer (twin tube design) but Bilsteins have a nice edgy response with the monotube, at the expense of comfort. That has been what I've gathered over the years, and through personal experience anyways.
This is the exact opposite of what I've experienced. I've had 3 cars with konis and 3 with bilsteins.

Every car I've had with konis rides like it has no suspension at all below 60 mph but man do they make a car handle nice.

All of the cars with bilstiens ride smooth as silk but you get a little more body motion. However that motion is very well controlled.

Konis = all out handling. Bilsteins are much more comfort oriented. I would never put konis on a daily driver especially when bilsteins are available. If you were closer I could take you for a ride in a car that has each so you can tell the difference.

I wouldn't go for konis if comfort was a consideration.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/tana...alled-ge8.html

Recently went to the Tanabe Z40 coils from my gf's car, but went back to these. I drive almost 90 miles one way each day and these by far are the best for daily.

I looked into all the others, but wasn't sold on them. Unfortunately this forum isn't as informative as some others are for different vehicles. Everyone just copies what everyone else is doing or buying.

In the end it's your decision and there are many options out there for these cars.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
damping
Incorrect.

Damper is a noun.
Damper | Define Damper at Dictionary.com

Dampening is what a damper does, which is a verb.

willnotstarttrollthread

Last edited by Wanderer.; 06-11-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member

Anything below $1000: scary...
I think you might be to quick to judge on that one. Many people try to justify their expensive shocks purchases by hating on the lower priced shocks. I have personally owned Skunk Pro C and Function Form Type 2. Both of them performed very well for DD and both can be found for under $1K.

I just think if you only plan on DD then spending more than $1k on suspension just isn't worth it.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 AM
lowkeymods

Hey,

Did you end up getting a coil over ? or still working on it. I was having head aches with offset and springs, so i thought i'd check coilovers and here i find it's just another side of the same coin.

I thought coil overs were moons away from springs and shocks but hmmm, learning by the day

I also thought i couldn't go wrong with Teins !!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
hands down the new and emproved D2's

Old 06-20-2012, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spootnik
lowkeymods

Hey,

Did you end up getting a coil over ? or still working on it. I was having head aches with offset and springs, so i thought i'd check coilovers and here i find it's just another side of the same coin.

I thought coil overs were moons away from springs and shocks but hmmm, learning by the day

I also thought i couldn't go wrong with Teins !!
Well w/ any drop you have to consider offset/rubbing. However, I can only speak to my final decision on coils: Tein Street Basis. I took the information and experience from users on this forum and used it to research w/ local shops, manufacturers, and fitfreak vendors what would best help me accomplish my goals. The Koni's were a close second, but even the Koni vendor suggested that for my goals the Tein's were probably the best fit. Depending on how the Koni's are modified I feel that they might last a bit longer. However, the Tein's are rebuildable for $75 a corner by the factory. They suggest this every 35,000 miles. I think for my needs I just couldn't justify spending $600 more on Koni's. I can totally understand those w/ more advanced setups and realize that the Tein's are partially just $ going for the name. However, I felt like they were the most reasonable/safe bet for me.

Edit: In short, I don't think you can go WRONG w/ Tein but I think the argument from several users is that you can go much BETTER. I just don't really need better.

Thanks again guys! They're going on Friday.

Last edited by lowkeymods; 06-20-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Best coilovers for Daily Driving?