2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

attn m/t owners...highway rev annoying?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
attn m/t owners...highway rev annoying?

I've seen a few manual vs auto threads... but they are bogged down with petty arguments and fun factor comments. I just want simple answers-. Is the rev annoying at highway speeds? 1 thru 10, 10 being very annoying if at all... score it. Thanks. Or link me to thread if there's one. Thanks again.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:08 AM
10 x 2.

they should have put a longer 5th, or a 6th gear in there. it's fucking annoying.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
you are dumb. there's nothing wrong with a few more RPMs. If you wanted a silent car, you should have gotten a nissan leaf

Old 05-28-2012, 01:23 AM
How am i dumb, that i find engine noise in a daily commuter/gas saver is annoying?

My k20 jackson racing supercharged Si with full exhaust/race header, is quieter down the highway than a bone stock honda fit.

PLUS, why would you give 2 shits about rpm's in 5th and 6th anyway? LOWER rpm's would give better mileage on long trips, be less annoying also. Those are cruising gears.

because racecar? LOL.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
not necessarily better MPG, and at what cost would you pay for a 6mt?

Old 05-28-2012, 01:46 AM
lol I guess they want to have to downshift a gear or two everytime they have to go up a hill or pass on the highway. We only have 117hp guys

Old 05-28-2012, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by krunk13
lol I guess they want to have to downshift a gear or two everytime they have to go up a hill or pass on the highway. We only have 117hp guys
LOL, that's worse than d16s...(NOT by much.....)

and even those ran quieter in shitbox eg's.... we're talking about 20yr old cars here.

You can't tell me they couldn't have made the car more quiet than an EG after 20 years! HELL - even toyota YARIS hatchbacks are considerably more quiet than a fit.

Originally Posted by solbrothers
not necessarily better MPG, and at what cost would you pay for a 6mt?
yes, because ONE whole gear added to the gearbox would have much such an impact on the price tag at the dealer, that the car would be ballin/unattainable.

LOL!

MPG aside, a longer 5th would have been EASY to do, ZERO cost increase. The first 1-4 gears could have remained the same so you can continue to feel like you drive a peppy racecar. LOLOLOL.

They only did it to make the whopping 117hp feel like the car has "pep".... Which is simply does not. It's a slug even at 3000rpm down the highway. What would it hurt to bring it to 2200-2500rpm in the grand scheme of things?

they even ADDED more sound deadening to 2012's because the road noise is horrible.

true story.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure if I understand correctly but manual vs auto will "rev" roughly the same at freeway speeds. A plus to having a manual gearbox would be controlling the shift point. I was just on the freeway and found that shifting around 4500 left me at 3500 @ just under 80 mph give or take an revolution or two. Having driven hondas for 12 years or so I'm used to high reving motors. Stock the car was silent. The road was loud tires were annoying at highway speeds.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:35 AM
No, the high revs don't bother me on the freeway. Even without the radio on it's really a non issue to me.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 AM
I don't hear any engine noise on the highway. I'm sure it's there but just can't hear it at all because the wind and tire noise drowns it out, haha Don't even think about opening your window(s).

Yes it's a noisy car at high speed but not due to engine or higher than most engine revs. Just adjust your SVC (Speed-sensitive volume compensation) control accordingly and turn on the radio.

_

Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
I don't hear any engine noise on the highway. I'm sure it's there but just can't hear it at all because the wind and tire noise drowns it out, haha Don't even think about opening your window(s).

Yes it's a noisy car at high speed but not due to engine or higher than most engine revs. Just adjust your SVC (Speed-sensitive volume compensation) control accordingly and turn on the radio.

_
This matches my experience. Wind and tire noise are much more apparent than engine noise. You can reduce tire noise on asphalt by selecting quieter, non-stock tires for your next set, but nothing that I know of quiets tire noise on concrete. And nothing that I know of reduces wind noise. That said, I’m talking about the ‘09 Sport. I think I read somewhere that there’s a “comfort edition (CE)” coming out that has more soundproofing and a less-harsh ride–might be worth waiting for.

I also agree with the remarks above that it’s good to be able to drop down into 4th when you see a grade coming and you’re carrying a load, or when you anticipate needing the extra power to pass. A CE Sport MT might be the ideal Fit, imo.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
I'll say it again, like I did in other related posts...no the engine isn't loud at speeds under 80 mph, in fact it's a distant hum. AND, what about accelerating? Around town, going onto the highway...guess what...the AT is noticeably louder, more frenetic and busy sounding than the MT. Doesn't anyone care about this? Since around town and accelerating is a part of everyday driving, wouldn't this be more important than highway revs? The MT is way more chilled, lower pitched, and quieter under such conditions. Big difference. This is one way the AT and MT have split personalities.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:23 AM
OMG how can you drive and SI and think that the Fit is loud? My Prelude was louder than my Fit and at highway speeds it was doing about the same 3500rpm at 70mph. Honda isn't so stupid that they would add a 5th or 6th gear that wasn't matched to the other gears. Under acceleration the car is geared to not drop out of Vtec just like every other Honda. So changing the gearing would require changing the Vtec crossover which would change the whole feel of the car...and your D16 civic most likely isn't as quiet as you think. Consumers have been getting more and more concerned ( and winy) about SVH in there cars theses days the fit is quiet compares to an old school Honda....true story

Last edited by krunk13; 05-28-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:09 PM
When I looked at the Fit I saw it as a perfect city car not so much a great highway car. Look at the figures: 27 city 33 highway thats only 6 mpg apart. To me there are cars that get better stated mpg on the highway than the Fit but since my miles are almost 99% city it never bothered me that the 1% chance I go on the highway it will be noisy. Now the people who go on the highway frequently and who are complaining about the noise I feel sorry for you for not test driving it on the highway. My solution for you is to turn up the radio

Old 05-28-2012, 02:18 PM
OMG how can you drive and SI and think that the Fit is loud? My Prelude was louder than my Fit and at highway speeds it was doing about the same 3500rpm at 70mph. Honda isn't so stupid that they would add a 5th or 6th gear that wasn't matched to the other gears. Under acceleration the car is geared to not drop out of Vtec just like every other Honda. So changing the gearing would require changing the Vtec crossover which would change the whole feel of the car...and your D16 civic most likely isn't as quiet as you think. Consumers have been getting more and more concerned ( and winy) about SVH in there cars theses days the fit is quiet compares to an old school Honda....true story
the Si in 6th gear is about 2500rpm at highway cruising speeds. even with the full exhaust done - it's still quieter than the fit.

even IF they wanted to keep the motor revving - they could have sound deadened earlier models, not just the 12s....

P.S. If you think you're in vtec all the time: you sir, are the one who is dumb. vtec doesn't happen at 3000rpm, nor does it happen at low throttle cruising down the highway. vtec is engaged at 3400 rpm while accelerating. so to say it's geared like that so it doesn't fall out of vtec has no bearing on a longer 5th or an added 6th gear.

and it's geared not to drop out of vtec like every other honda? LOL, wow you are retarded. 06+ si's with k20's vtec crossover from factory is 5800RPM! (i have mine set to 4800 due to the charger and tuned with flashpro on the dyno).

LOL@thinking you're in vtec all the time.

it's funny how delusional some people are about the car.

it's not fast. it's not peppy.

it's slow as balls, and is a boring daily driver meant to sip fuel and be tiny. NOT RACECAR.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by joey_fits
I'm not sure if I understand correctly but manual vs auto will "rev" roughly the same at freeway speeds. A plus to having a manual gearbox would be controlling the shift point. I was just on the freeway and found that shifting around 4500 left me at 3500 @ just under 80 mph give or take an revolution or two. Having driven hondas for 12 years or so I'm used to high reving motors. Stock the car was silent. The road was loud tires were annoying at highway speeds.

I thought i had read that in the manual fit, the revs were higher around freeway speeds and in the automatic, the revs were lower and cruising.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Under acceleration the car is geared to not drop out of Vtec just like every other Honda.
Maybe you miss interpeted under acceleration..... Let me rephrase that. Under WOT

P.S. Why you hating on the Fit so bad anyway? Maybe you should go back to your SI forum.

Last edited by krunk13; 05-28-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
id rather have 5 gears and rear disc brakes not drums on the NEW yaris !!

Old 05-28-2012, 04:14 PM
M/T 5th gear has the same ratio as A/T 4th gear. Buy A/T if you plan to spend long hours on the highway. I test drove both and found M/T to be a lot more fun, but pretty annoying (10!) when it hits 4000 rpm for decent highway speed.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CasualFitOwner
M/T 5th gear has the same ratio as A/T 4th gear. Buy A/T if you plan to spend long hours on the highway. I test drove both and found M/T to be a lot more fun, but pretty annoying (10!) when it hits 4000 rpm for decent highway speed.

so if they have the same gearing, does that mean they rev the same at highway speeds since they are both in 5th at that point?

Quick Reply: attn m/t owners...highway rev annoying?