2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

attn m/t owners...highway rev annoying?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by CasualFitOwner
M/T 5th gear has the same ratio as A/T 4th gear. Buy A/T if you plan to spend long hours on the highway. I test drove both and found M/T to be a lot more fun, but pretty annoying (10!) when it hits 4000 rpm for decent highway speed.
You guys are speeding arnt you?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
The North American Fits already have a 1st, 4th and 5th gear longer than the JDM model. Of course the final in North America is a 4.62 versus the JDM 4.29, so if you want less revs, swap to a JDM final drive. Mine is collecting dust (not literally) after jumping up to a 4.687. Currently the North American GE8 should be sitting around 3500 at 75mph in 5th, with the JDM final drive it would drop it about 200~250rpms (worth it?). Also would get to 60 in 2nd versus needing to shift to 3rd, for the magazine racers (fanboi approved).

My car is not in one bit annoying to me and actually wished for a 4.9 or 5.0 final in it, though if I had that, I may swap to the North American 5th to gain some top speed back. As it sits now, the car is gear limited to about 198km/h (according to GPS speed) with the change in the final and rev to 7100.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Nicotine
the Si in 6th gear is about 2500rpm at highway cruising speeds. even with the full exhaust done - it's still quieter than the fit.

even IF they wanted to keep the motor revving - they could have sound deadened earlier models, not just the 12s....

P.S. If you think you're in vtec all the time: you sir, are the one who is dumb. vtec doesn't happen at 3000rpm, nor does it happen at low throttle cruising down the highway. vtec is engaged at 3400 rpm while accelerating. so to say it's geared like that so it doesn't fall out of vtec has no bearing on a longer 5th or an added 6th gear.

and it's geared not to drop out of vtec like every other honda? LOL, wow you are retarded. 06+ si's with k20's vtec crossover from factory is 5800RPM! (i have mine set to 4800 due to the charger and tuned with flashpro on the dyno).

LOL@thinking you're in vtec all the time.

it's funny how delusional some people are about the car.

it's not fast. it's not peppy.

it's slow as balls, and is a boring daily driver meant to sip fuel and be tiny. NOT RACECAR.
You are dead wrong about VTEC on the 2nd generation of L15. VTEC occurs at 5400rpms and there is no window based on MAP so no matter what VTEC is engaged at 5400rpms (5300 with my reflash). I think you may be thinking of the first iteration of the L15 with the economy type of VTEC it has when the engine is changed over to run on all 16valves and not 12 upon VTEC activation-.

About your Si, the 6th gear is a waste in my opinion, I want all my gears to be performance oriented. Why I really enjoyed the 6MT in the 5R, every gear was selected for performance.

Speak for yourself, your Civic is also not "RACECAR" even with the SC installed. It's also a grocery getter that you happen to enjoy driving, just like some of us do with their Fits. I'm pretty sure my Fit is more "RACECAR" than your Civic and yes it is not fast, but it definitely is peppy/quick and fun as hell to drive on circuit and 2 events ago, had many drivers of bigger engined Hondas coming to see what was done to my slow Fit as it was destroying them on circuit.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
555 for President....of FF.net or something.

If my parents think that my car is quiet (even with a Spoon N1) at highway speeds...you guys need to realize you're not driving a Lexus LS460.

Oh and for the geniuses who claim that a sixth gear (or taller gearing) will improve fuel economy, you realize that most gas is wasted during acceleration and is largely dependent on throttle positioning? With taller gearing you'd need to press the pedal that much further to accelerate to get up to the speed limit and with a sixth gear you'd need to downshift >9000 times to pass anybody.

Oh and here's another crazy idea, drive at or around the speed limit. It'll drop revs, wind noise, etc. And you can avoid those pesky speeding tickets.

Unless you have the patience/intelligence of a high school kid who thinks that driving 60 is boring/stupid, then go ahead, waste finite resources, money, etc. and continue to complain about a problem with your car that YOU ARE CAUSING.

I rate the sound in my Fit (GD w/ 5MT and Spoon N1) at a 1/10.

I rate the sound in my Mom's Fit (2012 w/ 5MT, forever stock) at a -6/10.

Last edited by mike410b; 05-28-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Kind of a Funny Thread (what it quickly turned into).

For me, the 5MT at 70mph isn't bad. 80... it's a bit annoying but palatable.

As for putting a 6th on top of the US 5MTs Current Gearbox. No way it would work well. Every Hill and headwind would require a downshift to 5th or 4th. The Auto trans already proves this as the slightest hill will push the fit to drop a gear on the highway. The JDM 6th gear is between the US 5MT and Auto as far as ratio is concerned. the fit's 1.5L doesn't have the Torque to handle a 6MT that would effectively drop the RPMs by 600-800 above and beyond the current 5MT 5th Gear. Who wants to shift on the highway?

As for the D16Y8 Civic being quieter, it was the same weight as the fit, with better aerodynamics and a better torque rating. Gearing for higway cruising was easier to manage with the slight displacement increase and less drag for the engine to fight. Also, the engine was more isolated from the driver's compartment as it was fully in front of the Driver instead of the fit which is in front of the driver, but below the very front of the Dash. The Si's K20 simply has the torque to handle a cruising gear.

The Fit is an economy car and in the 5MT, you pay for it with a higher revving engine. in the 5AT, you pay for it with constant downshifts.

My Rating: 5 out of 10
~SB

Old 05-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
555 for President....of FF.net or something.

If my parents think that my car is quiet (even with a Spoon N1) at highway speeds...you guys need to realize you're not driving a Lexus LS460.
EXACTLY ....Who wants to drive around in complete silence anyway

Old 05-28-2012, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Nicotine
the Si in 6th gear is about 2500rpm at highway cruising speeds. even with the full exhaust done - it's still quieter than the fit.

even IF they wanted to keep the motor revving - they could have sound deadened earlier models, not just the 12s....

P.S. If you think you're in vtec all the time: you sir, are the one who is dumb. vtec doesn't happen at 3000rpm, nor does it happen at low throttle cruising down the highway. vtec is engaged at 3400 rpm while accelerating. so to say it's geared like that so it doesn't fall out of vtec has no bearing on a longer 5th or an added 6th gear.

and it's geared not to drop out of vtec like every other honda? LOL, wow you are retarded. 06+ si's with k20's vtec crossover from factory is 5800RPM! (i have mine set to 4800 due to the charger and tuned with flashpro on the dyno).

LOL@thinking you're in vtec all the time.

it's funny how delusional some people are about the car.

it's not fast. it's not peppy.

it's slow as balls, and is a boring daily driver meant to sip fuel and be tiny. NOT RACECAR.

So why do (I assume) you have a Fit again?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
I guess it is all subjective depending on what kind of car people are used to driving before the Fit but I find the Fit to be pretty civilized in 5th around 70mph.

Granted, I drove Jeeps and a Del Sol right before the Fit so anything would be more civilized I suppose. But I also owned a TSX 6MT and a WRX 5MT and don't think the Fit is annoying at highway speeds at all compared to those cars either.

I find that (at least on my highway jaunts) being at a higher RPM allows me to pass a little easier when the opportunity presents itself, no downshift required.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by jackacc
I guess it is all subjective depending on what kind of car people are used to driving before the Fit but I find the Fit to be pretty civilized in 5th around 70mph.

Granted, I drove Jeeps and a Del Sol right before the Fit so anything would be more civilized I suppose. But I also owned a TSX 6MT and a WRX 5MT and don't think the Fit is annoying at highway speeds at all compared to those cars either.

I find that (at least on my highway jaunts) being at a higher RPM allows me to pass a little easier when the opportunity presents itself, no downshift required.

My previous cars-
2000 Altima GXE
1991 BMW 325i
2000 Prelude SH

All cars that were louder or about the same in terms of SVH at 70mph. But then again I alway turn the volume up on the highway I thought that was what it was for

Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Haha, the radio in my Del Sol was certainly only there to drown out the targa rattle

And the 2 4x6's in my 78 FJ40 were purely cosmetic... they vomited some treble that was purely inaudible, lol.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Going with wider, quieter tires has made highway cruising pretty comfy, since most of the noise is not coming from the engine. What's most annoying about the Fit on the highway is getting blown around. Let's open up another can of worms with that one. Might as well throw a regular vs. super unleaded debate too, for good measure. Oh, and the Fit is a sports car.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
Going with wider, quieter tires has made highway cruising pretty comfy, since most of the noise is not coming from the engine. What's most annoying about the Fit on the highway is getting blown around. Let's open up another can of worms with that one. Might as well throw a regular vs. super unleaded debate too, for good measure. Oh, and the Fit is a sports car.
I noticed a noise difference with my Hankook 205 with tires. It's also more fun . My Stock Bridgestones were the noisiest tires I had on the fit. snows were even quieter.

~SB

Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 PM
my 12 isn't terribly loud on the highway not noticeably annoying

Old 05-28-2012, 10:33 PM

Old 05-28-2012, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
What's most annoying about the Fit on the highway is getting blown around. Let's open up another can of worms with that one. Might as well throw a regular vs. super unleaded debate too, for good measure.
1. get a GT style wing for MOAR DOWNFORCE
2. ALWAYS use >100 octane

Old 05-28-2012, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
I got my oil analysis back and you guys won't believe it. Bacon!

Old 05-28-2012, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
I got my oil analysis back and you guys won't believe it. Bacon!
Bacon isn't fit to be used in a Diesel engine and I know Willie would never sell anything like than unless it was off of free range hogs maybe... What was wrong with your oil Hayden?... How many miles were on it and do you spend a lot of time in heavy traffic?:

Old 05-28-2012, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
I let breakfast cook under the hood while I drive to work, so it's easily explainable. The car needs more vtak with these high cholesterol levels.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
Actually the JDM RS 6MT uses the USDM 5th as its 6th. The final drives are exactly the same at 4.62. So guess what...revs are exactly the same between the newer RS and the North American fit at the same speed in the top gear.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
I let breakfast cook under the hood while I drive to work, so it's easily explainable. The car needs more vtak with these high cholesterol levels.
I swear that with the 10PSI boost and reflash my GD3 runs cooler in traffic than when stock but now fuel dilution of the oil from the safe tune is a problem if the oil goes very long at all between changes... Whatever happens, don't take or put statins in anything you don't want to die.

Quick Reply: attn m/t owners...highway rev annoying?