2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

JDP Lip fading after a couple of weeks

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 07:57 PM
JDP Lip fading after a couple of weeks

Okay guys ive had excellent communication and service from JDP ... up until last week i have been talking to them about my lip after it suddenly began to fade. So he hasked me if i applied any chemicals to it . i then replied no ive only had it a short time and if you guys have seen on my (WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR FIT) post i just got my bumpers painted prior to installing the lip so dealer told me to take it easy on washing the bumpers and to not wax for a month ........ he has now stopped replying to my Emails and i am not sure what to do with the lip i dont want to put chemicals on it to try and fix it now and dont know if they will replace it or if any one else has had this issue here are the pics

Name:  IMG_0991.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  85.3 KBName:  IMG_0990.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  71.2 KBName:  IMG_0992.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  49.2 KB
seems to be fading only on the center line edge of lip and right there on passenger side fold

ALSO THE LAST FEW EMAILS WE HAD

Nope bumper just got painted honda said not to wash it for week and to not wax for a month
Sent from my LG phone

sales@jdpengineering.com wrote:

From: "sales@jdpengineering.com" <sales@jdpengineering.com>
To: Prom Srey <prom.srey@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, May 7, 2012 6:05 PM
Subject: Re: Fw:

Did you wash it or spray some sort of chemical on it?

--
John
JDP ENGINEERING
www.jdpengineering.com
Phone: 323-327-2036

On Mon, 7 May 2012 10:40:19 -0700 (PDT), Prom Srey <prom.srey@yahoo.com> wrote:

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: prom.srey@yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, May 7, 2012 1:35 PM
Subject:

Just in the 2 areas above the passenger side where it raises up to the curve of the bumper it has little bubbles in it like the clear is seperating from the carbon and cloudy spot on the opposite side it is not spreading

From: "sales@jdpengineering.com" <sales@jdpengineering.com>
To: Prom Srey <prom.srey@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:01 PM
Subject: Re: Fw:

I haven't seen that happen before. All of our lips are clear coated and polished to protect the item from UV rays.

Is the cloudiness spreading more or is it just in the area from the pics you took?

--
John
JDP ENGINEERING
www.jdpengineering.com
Phone: 323-327-2036

On Tue, 8 May 2012 18:22:54 -0700 (PDT), Prom Srey <prom.srey@yahoo.com> wrote:

Any thing i can do with the lip or is it just a defect?

Last edited by breakerboyspikes; 05-20-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like he didn't use UV-stable resin. Fail.

Good thing I'll be painting mine whenever he gets around to the 2012 lip.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:12 PM
yea what i thought but he stated that they go through some polishing process to eleminate this and they have "never seen this issue before " which is a little aggrivating

Last edited by breakerboyspikes; 05-20-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
damn that sucks. hopefully jdp takes care of it and sends you a new one.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
you should review them on yelp.com

Old 05-20-2012, 10:02 PM
I sent another message to them as i posted this . hopfully they will respond before i post on yelp or other sites.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:14 AM
Holy crap. I need to check my lip too. Good luck though bro just seems like the clear coat is fading though.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 AM
i have had mine since june 2011 and almost a year later mine still looks like the day i bought it. except of course the crack where i hit the deer on the highway, which is when i realized the excellent quality of this thing. good luck with yours dude. i know most people have talked about the outstanding customer service jdp has. i would definitely give them some time before leaving a bad review, but thats just me i suppose.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:13 PM
mine is faded and cracking alot!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Seems like he thinks i put something on it and i some how caused the fading by chemical and i just pointed out that if i did it would more than likely fade all over and more on the upper shelf that sees more light instead of the center line facing the ground or strait ahead but JDP stands behind there product and with the high res pics i sent he still seemed a little hesatent, but told me to send the one i had back pay for shipping and they would send me another one so thumbs up to a great company and great customer service .

Old 05-22-2012, 01:21 AM
Nice. Now I don't feel that bad anymore

Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
why should you pay for shipping when its his product defect? doesnt sound like great customer service to me.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:38 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
It is great customer service because this product was never covered under any warranty (right?), so JDP is not obligated or bound in any way to replace the lip.

Asking that the customer pay for shipping in this situation sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by urbanoutfit
why should you pay for shipping when its his product defect? doesnt sound like great customer service to me.
So if your TV was defective you would insist that Samsung comes out to you and replaces it in your living room?

Be realistic here. JDP replacing the lip is going above and beyond already.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:47 AM
Ill pay the shipping with no argument, because they already believe i applied something to the lip. which to me from a company stand point that has never really had a issue with the product doing this would assume. but as the customer i am happy that there is a company that stands behind there product and is willing to go as far as replacing the lip which entitles him to make another one, and then send it to me. so paying for shipping and ending the issue with them shows i am willing to work with them and im not just out for free stuff i just want a lip that wont fade after two weeks i really to love the fitment of the product and look . i was just very upset when it faded after being on the vehicle for such a short time .

Old 05-22-2012, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
So if your TV was defective you would insist that Samsung comes out to you and replaces it in your living room?

Be realistic here. JDP replacing the lip is going above and beyond already.
Gotta jump in here. Glad the OP is happy with the turnout. I certainly wouldn't be.

If Amazon mails a defective or incorrect product, they pay for shipping back to their warehouse.

If TRS sent defective bulbs or ballasts, would they make the customer pay for return shipping? Why should the customer incur additional costs due to sender's or producer's error?

Doesn't make sense, and just to be clear, JDP has a track record of hit and miss product. The hood I have isn't centered and the weave swerves drastically. Honestly, I should've had it returned but I was too damn excited to have a CF hood at the time.

On the other hand, ignoring fitment issues, the lip and diffuser are great. No irregular ware like the OP.

The point is, some of his products are great, some honestly lack quality. Lips are made in different batches and even though mine is great, I'm confident that the OP's lip didn't cure correctly. If that is the case, I would want a full replacement without having to ship the damn thing back.
Hell, Seibon even just has customers destory the product and mails a new one.

/rant

Old 05-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
I would agree with you if the OP had received a defective product out of the box. However, the OP received the lip, installed it, and then noticed a "couple of weeks later" that there was a problem.

If the OP inspected the lip immediately upon receipt and noticed a defect, then yes JDP should probably pay for return shipping. But the lip is used now, JDP is going out on a limb replacing the lip. Even the OP understands that JDP can't be certain of what happened while the lip was in the customer's hands.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think it's reasonable to be comparing JDP to large companies. It's just not the same thing. JDP is making small batch custom parts not mass producing like some of the other companies mentioned. The fact that he is willing to take the part back and send a new one is respectable. Who cares if you have to pay shipping back. I mean it's a CF lip how expensive can shipping really be.

Aside from that all 3 of the CF JDP parts have been on my Fit for over a year and not a single problem. I'm not sure why people are mentioning quality control issues and I have been buying from JDP for over 5 years and have never had an issue. Many of my Integra club friends also have JDP's front lip and I have never heard about a complaint from them either!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
I would agree with you if the OP had received a defective product out of the box. However, the OP received the lip, installed it, and then noticed a "couple of weeks later" that there was a problem.

If the OP inspected the lip immediately upon receipt and noticed a defect, then yes JDP should probably pay for return shipping. But the lip is used now, JDP is going out on a limb replacing the lip. Even the OP understands that JDP can't be certain of what happened while the lip was in the customer's hands.
That's a good point, but what it really comes down to whether or not JDP offers any kind of warranty on workmanship. Assuming the OP did nothing other than install his lip properly, the fault falls on JDP, and if he backs up his work, no question it should be replaced.

Originally Posted by bmxman
I don't think it's reasonable to be comparing JDP to large companies. It's just not the same thing. JDP is making small batch custom parts not mass producing like some of the other companies mentioned. The fact that he is willing to take the part back and send a new one is respectable. Who cares if you have to pay shipping back.
Size of the manufacturer really shouldn't come into play here. If you go to a restuarant, whether it be local or chain, you expect quality food (relatively), don't you? I fail to see your point there.

I mean it's a CF lip how expensive can shipping really be.
Shipping a CF lip is expensive due to it's bulkiness. It's light, but to ship it safely takes up a lot of cargo room. I guess you've never shipped something like it before?

Aside from that all 3 of the CF JDP parts have been on my Fit for over a year and not a single problem. I'm not sure why people are mentioning quality control issues and I have been buying from JDP for over 5 years and have never had an issue. Many of my Integra club friends also have JDP's front lip and I have never heard about a complaint from them either!
That's fantastic that all your parts have turned out well. I'm happy for you. However, a single sample (or even 3) does not provide enough data for a conclusion. My lip is holding up just fine, but as you mentioned above, JDP is a batch producer. It is possible that some batches were not created equally. All signs point to the OP getting a lip from a bad batch of poorly mixed resin.

Finally, let me say this. I had Rogue Se7ens do my carbon fiber garnish for me. After about two months installed, a small cracked developed in the clear coat and began to yellow. I messaged him about it and he quickly worked to get a return label to me for me to send it back (free of charge). He re-did the part quickly and had it back to me within a month, again, all free of charge. He didn't HAVE to do this for me - this was a custom order, but he took responsibility for defects in his parts without question.

John (JDP) seems like a really nice guy, and I appreciate the parts he's provided for our community - I continue to purchase them (in on the duckbill) and I really do see an improvement in quality. I stand by my belief though, that a defective product should be replaced free of charge.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thefit09
Size of the manufacturer really shouldn't come into play here. If you go to a restaurant, whether it be local or chain, you expect quality food (relatively), don't you? I fail to see your point there.

Shipping a CF lip is expensive due to it's bulkiness. It's light, but to ship it safely takes up a lot of cargo room. I guess you've never shipped something like it before?

That's fantastic that all your parts have turned out well. I'm happy for you. However, a single sample (or even 3) does not provide enough data for a conclusion. My lip is holding up just fine, but as you mentioned above, JDP is a batch producer. It is possible that some batches were not created equally. All signs point to the OP getting a lip from a bad batch of poorly mixed resin.
Let me repeat "custom parts"...do you see the connection now? What restaurant makes custom one of food? Your example is not relative.
I have shipped plenty of items all over the world in my 10 years of selling on Ebay. So yes if you know how to ship a CF lip it's cheap!

I'm glad you're happy for me and I didn't say anything about data. I merely stated that in the 8 total parts I have bought along with the 20 or so lips purchased by myself and the Integra club no one has had a problem I have heard about. Is it possible there was a manufacturers problem with the lip yes...and JDP is replacing it so I don't see the problem.

Quick Reply: JDP Lip fading after a couple of weeks