2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Looking for some passing power--bolt ons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Looking for some passing power--bolt ons?

Would it be worth it to do exhaust or intake to change the throttle response and get a bit more power or is it not noticeable?

Old 05-19-2012, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gdhi11
Would it be worth it to do exhaust or intake to change the throttle response and get a bit more power or is it not noticeable?
Even with an intake and exhaust on mine I felt like the passing power just wasn't there after 70 or so. The lack of torque is quite obvious in the Fit sadly.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Well the vast majority of my driving is under 60. I see the current acceleration as merely adequate. I wondered if there would be a noticeable difference without getting to crazy with upgrades.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Just dont pass on straights. Hold your speed through turns and then go around the person. What the Fit lacks on a straight road it makes up for in a turn. Get you some light wheels 205 tires and a RSB.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not a racer by any stretch of the word... but unless the other guy is being a dick about letting me pass (in other words, accelerating to prevent me from passing), I can pass most people just fine. Of course, I drive an M/T.

I would think it can be done if you had a sport with the paddles. If you have a base... I guess not.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Touring tires are generally lighter than high performance tires and wheels with a higher offset number are generally lighter than ones with lower offset number.... An extra 5lbs per wheel/tire can make a noticeable difference in rate of acceleration on a Fit that has close to twice the power of a bone stock one.... 195-50-15s on 15"x7" Enkei RPF1 wheels will amaze you..

Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Jesus. Learn to drive. This isn't a Ferrari, it's a compact sports car with the emphasis on cornering. In the world of horsepower it comes to this: power, cheap, reliable. Pick two

Old 05-19-2012, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Momentum is your friend! Learn to anticipate passes by looking further down the road for the last car in the oncoming lane.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Have you tried drafting? Lol. Jkjk

Old 05-19-2012, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
I think the guy was just asking if there was any noticeable power gains from doing a few bolt ons. He already has the car. He didn't say anything about a race track.

My intake gave me a little response, but not enough in the way of torque to notice any real passing power at speed. I have a manual, so downshifting is almost always a possibility to get more power in a situation. There does seem to be a little more pull though, and with an exhaust, I imagine it would be a little punchier, like usually happens. I haven't put one on the Fit, so can't comment further.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
You won't see the gains that will really help you pass with traditional bolt-ons. You might get the placebo effect though.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
I'd just downshift.

I've noticed zero gains with my exhaust.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Lol. Thanks for the replies everyone. I honestly have only driven my car twice--gonna take delivery Monday night. I just am really anal about the power thing having just come off driving a dogsh*t 1998 Pontiac Montana mini van and a 1997 Saturn SL2.

I won't say the fit feels slow, but it's definitely slower than some Mini Coopers I drove. Thing is, the Cooper is a great small econo/performance car if not for repair costs and premium fuel. My wife and I just decided on the fit because we have kids and getting them in and out of a two seater will be a pain in the butt.

So my choice pretty much indicates that I understand what the fit is. It's a more flexible sub-compact than a mini cooper with seating for 5 and a huge trunk. I just keep saying to myself--"wish it had the performance of the mini," but then if it did it would probably be priced appropriately.

The only thing I might do at this point based on you guys opinions is change out the air intake--mostly for noise than anything else.

Oh yeah, and the car I'm buying is a 2012 Sport Automatic--been trying to find someone dumb enough to let me learn to drive stick in there car for a few years.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Unless you're used to the Cooper S then the fit has the same amount of power last I checked. I think the Fit weighs less too. So performance wise they should be fairly close.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
I'm not a racer by any stretch of the word... but unless the other guy is being a dick about letting me pass (in other words, accelerating to prevent me from passing), I can pass most people just fine. Of course, I drive an M/T.

I would think it can be done if you had a sport with the paddles. If you have a base... I guess not.

I live in the Chicago suburbs, Ironically 75% of the drivers here take pleasure in being dicks and preventing passing or even merging. If you ever end up on 290 going into Chicago and pass the Manheim exit it slows down to a crawl because people refuse to allow merging--really the most insane driving/traffic I have ever seen.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jamy
Unless you're used to the Cooper S then the fit has the same amount of power last I checked. I think the Fit weighs less too. So performance wise they should be fairly close.
I think it compares pretty favorably to the standard cooper but I think the cooper has better weighting and makes more torque? Plus the Cooper has the sport mode which makes the suspension that much stiffer and more nimble.

Don't think for a second I don't like the fit though--it's barrels of fun.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
^^ Ditto in regards to straight line performance; though, the just-a-Cooper (Non-turbo/supercharged) makes slightly more torque lower in the power band the Fit and Coop have very similar power outputs. There is also the Clubman with the suicide single door BUT that little bit of additional access doesn't really give any rear passengers space.

Originally Posted by gdhi11
I think it compares pretty favorably to the standard cooper but I think the cooper has better weighting and makes more torque? Plus the Cooper has the sport mode which makes the suspension that much stiffer and more nimble.

Don't think for a second I don't like the fit though--it's barrels of fun.
Side note: Sport mode doesn't alter the suspension per se... All Coopers (at least the R56 Coop Ss I've seen) have a Sport mode and that just stiffens up the steering for a more direct feedback, increase throttle sensitivity (also aids with reducing turbo lag), and change the shift points to a more aggressive configuration (if A/T). If memory serves me right the only way the suspension gets stiffer is if you get the Sports Suspension which is either a $500, $1000, or $1500 option... I can't remember the price has changed a few times and I quit doing research on them long ago.

Last edited by Hootie; 05-19-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: I TYPE SLOW! :P
Old 05-19-2012, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
Your biggest problem is the auto trans. Robs power, inferior gearing, etc.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
I keep hearing that about the cooper and the fit. Honestly though I think it's passable--esspecially since it has paddle shifters. In any event it's a step up from the four speed automatic in the SL2--That is probably the worst transmission I've ever had. I seriously drive around yelling "SHIFT!" at the top of my lungs.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
I might have to disagree with you on the gearing note, at least for the Cooper's sake. Their 6 speed A/Ts aren't too shabby at least to me BUT again I only drove a R56 S that had plenty of low end torque to run through those gears quicker.

While on the subject of the Coop's trans... I think they start off in 2nd gear by default to help save gas or something of that nature... could be only a BMW thing too if I'm mistaken. Either way its kind of a dumb idea to me because all 6 gears aren't be utilized but it still gets the job done.

Quick Reply: Looking for some passing power--bolt ons?