2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Looking for some passing power--bolt ons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
@deevergote Here is a link to a thread on the Sprintex kit that is being sold in Australia...https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-pics-vid.html The EGR system on USDM Fits hasn't been addressed yet.. The base kit for my car only required using an aftermarket axle back pipe... My wife says I payed $2487.00 for it in May 2009... The best bang for the buck is going to be ultra lightweight wheels and lighter than stock tires... You experience better braking, ride, steering and handling as well as better acceleration.... I knocked off over 40 lbs of unsprung weight and rotating mass by doing this shortly before adding boost.. I recently put some 10lb heavier tires and 3lb heavier wheels and haven't been pleased with the loss of acceleration though they do have much better traction....

Old 05-20-2012, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gdhi11
Would it be worth it to do exhaust or intake to change the throttle response and get a bit more power or is it not noticeable?
The best 'mod' for passing is downshifting. most fits will get 100 in fourth; if you need more than that you're in the wrong car.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
The best 'mod' for passing is downshifting. most fits will get 100 in fourth; if you need more than that you're in the wrong car.
If I was only going 60 on the highway, I'd pop out of fifth, straight into third and use that to pass. If I have to switch to fourth and climb up to 100 just to pass... then, its either an a-hole or not worth passing (from 60 to 100 is a bit much "just" to pass someone).

Old 05-20-2012, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
I think mahout is just saying the Fit can do 100 in 4th...

Old 05-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Ive done only a greddy spectrum elite exhaust and custom secondary cat delete and its done wonders for the delay between gears on a manual trans but as for power you will gain some but not a ton

Old 05-20-2012, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
I was rounding an uphill curve when just as I had reached the end of third gear I saw the trooper off to the left of me in the ditch... He wrote me a ticket for 78 in a 60... I have read numerous post here where an owner stated they never let the engine rev past 4k.. Only half of the exhaust valves are opening until somewhere around 3.5k so you need to be well above that to make decent power.. Brief encounters with the rev limiter isn't going to harm your engine... Your Fit is still pulling hard when the limiter does it's thing and puts you into a nice place in the power band when going into fourth where 100 mph is quickly attained, like Mahout said.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:11 AM
I've bounced off the limiter numerous times (scared the crap out of me the first time!)
I don't do it intentionally, but I haven't done any damage yet.

The L15A really doesn't wake up until it's past 4k. Below 4k, it's slow as dirt.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
Then, keep it above 4k.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:17 AM
"iVTEC just kicked in, yo!"
meh.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by deevergote
The L15A really doesn't wake up until it's past 4k. Below 4k, it's slow as dirt.
That's Honda VTEC motors for you. No torque and you have to rev em to get power. Makes driving feel like an F1 race lol.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
Most of the Honda motorcycles I've had were happier when revving high... The GL 1800 Goldwing engine has more torque than a Fit but the Fit is really more fun.. There is something bogus about a motorcycle that freely revs to 120 and stops pulling.. None of my Beamers did shit like that.. I am really needing to get a new GS model BMW.. I gotta have just one more before I can feel good about leaving this incarnation for the next..

Old 05-22-2012, 11:14 PM
All the tips are greatly appreciated. I took delivery the other night and am quickly adjusting--in all honesty there is plenty of power on tap for day to day driving--just listening to friends a bit too much I suppose. I am extremely happy with the car and happy to be joining a community of fiercely helpful users

Old 05-22-2012, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
All the tips are greatly appreciated. I took delivery the other night and am quickly adjusting--in all honesty there is plenty of power on tap for day to day driving--just listening to friends a bit too much I suppose. I am extremely happy with the car and happy to be joining a community of fiercely helpful users
Glad you like the car

Old 05-23-2012, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
Love the INFO! thanks!

Be aware though that up here in Canada and the rest of the world for that matter....the warranty act doesn't apply. Always remember Fit Freaks are worldwide baby!

Off to vacuum my baby.

I have a PRM intake and so far the dealer has honoured my warranty every time. I asked him about the intake and he said unless the intake was directly at fault it would be no problem. So all you have to do is not drive through 3ft of standing water

Old 05-23-2012, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
Glad you like the car
Ditto... what Jamy said! Get the hang of driving your new car and be familiar with it's tendencies, what it can do and not do. If it "FITS" your driving style, then great. If not, then you can think of what to do.

Enjoy your new ride!

Old 05-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Subie
Get the hang of driving your new car and be familiar with it's tendencies, what it can do and not do.
My wife who's used to V8 torque always asks me why I have to rev to limiter when merging on the freeway. I just tell her "just staying in the powerband ". She doesn't like driving my car and I don't like driving hers haha

Glad you like the car gdhi11, I think when people say "it's slow" too many people get the impression of like a 1987 Daihatsu Charade slow. Slow is relative really, and yes, the Fit has plenty of power to do anything you may need to do driving day to day.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
My wife who's used to V8 torque always asks me why I have to rev to limiter when merging on the freeway. I just tell her "just staying in the powerband ". She doesn't like driving my car and I don't like driving hers haha

Glad you like the car gdhi11, I think when people say "it's slow" too many people get the impression of like a 1987 Daihatsu Charade slow. Slow is relative really, and yes, the Fit has plenty of power to do anything you may need to do driving day to day.
After a near head on collision when my wife was adjusting to a new Forester after driving a 95 GMC Pickup or a 97 GMC Safari cargo van both with HyperTech tuning products and other modifications to the 4.3 L Vortec V6s, I convinced her that it was cool to just put it to the floor till it wont go no more then shift and repeat if she hadn't gotten around what it was she was passing...

Old 05-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
After a near head on collision when my wife was adjusting to a new Forester after driving a 95 GMC Pickup or a 97 GMC Safari cargo van both with HyperTech tuning products and other modifications to the 4.3 L Vortec V6s, I convinced her that it was cool to just put it to the floor till it wont go no more then shift and repeat if she hadn't gotten around what it was she was passing...
Haha! Yes, I think to most people winding a motor out doesn't sound "good for the car" so it's avoided. I think that may be half of why people think the Fit is slower than it is, never go over 4k to find out. It's not going to break any records but i've never once been going slower than traffic by the time I merge, even with shortish entrance ramps.