2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Looking for some passing power--bolt ons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
I meant for the GE. The gears are taller than the 5MT, killing acceleration.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:21 PM
I drove two R56 S and 2 R56 Standard mini coopers. I would say gearing in the regular was just ok. The S had a lot more grunt to it and seemed to have slightly different gearing--bit better acceleration--could've been the turbo though.

I haven't had a lot of behind the wheel time on the fit yet--I'm sure on Monday night my opinion will be a lot more fleshed out. It's going to be a 45 minute drive back from the dealer.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
I meant for the GE. The gears are taller than the 5MT, killing acceleration.
Oh I see and agree there... Honda needs to bring the Fit RS's 6 speed over state side as standard or optional equipment. -.-

Old 05-19-2012, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gdhi11
I drove two R56 S and 2 R56 Standard mini coopers. I would say gearing in the regular was just ok. The S had a lot more grunt to it and seemed to have slightly different gearing--bit better acceleration--could've been the turbo though.

I haven't had a lot of behind the wheel time on the fit yet--I'm sure on Monday night my opinion will be a lot more fleshed out. It's going to be a 45 minute drive back from the dealer.
It was most likely the turbo in the S since torque is what gets a object going and can hit its peak torque of 172 to 182 ft~lbs (I think) depending on model year and not overboosting at either 1.6k or 1.8k RPMs... and hold it till 4.8k RPMs (if I remember right). Utilizing that torque frequently though won't be too cheap.

The Fit will behave very similar to a just-a-Cooper though despite the difference in rear suspension and being a larger vehicle. Affectively speaking for the Fit there are 3 "types" of transmissions; the 5 speed auto without paddles (Base only), the 5 speed auto with paddles (Sport only), and the 5 speed manual (Base and Sport). Both auto transmissions are basically the same, just the Sport has paddles to upshift/downshift when the driver wants so long as the engine doesn't bog itself or go to close to redline. This comes in handy a lot for hilly roads and passing.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gdhi11
I live in the Chicago suburbs, Ironically 75% of the drivers here take pleasure in being dicks and preventing passing or even merging. If you ever end up on 290 going into Chicago and pass the Manheim exit it slows down to a crawl because people refuse to allow merging--really the most insane driving/traffic I have ever seen.
I live up in the northern burbs.

The "two" places I avoid like the plague are: downtown Chicago... and near O'hare airport.

But even so... there are asshats everywhere.

Even at 2 in the morning when you're cruising along the highway just to get home at decent 75 mph... some fucker behind you will fly down the highway from seemingly nowhere, pull in front of you... and brake.

It doesn't matter what lane you're in... or how many exits you pass with the a-hole in front of you. The moment you try to pass... he takes off in an effort to not let you pass.

And this is considering you're the only two cars on a three lane expressway.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
I live up in the northern burbs.

The "two" places I avoid like the plague are: downtown Chicago... and near O'hare airport.

But even so... there are asshats everywhere.

Even at 2 in the morning when you're cruising along the highway just to get home at decent 75 mph... some fucker behind you will fly down the highway from seemingly nowhere, pull in front of you... and brake.

It doesn't matter what lane you're in... or how many exits you pass with the a-hole in front of you. The moment you try to pass... he takes off in an effort to not let you pass.

And this is considering you're the only two cars on a three lane expressway.

Yeah, I end up on 290 a lot thats why I mentioned it, but I know exactly where your talking about. Our city has some of the worst drivers and roads--next to the entire state of California.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Mini Cooper (2012 Automatic without S package)
Torque - 114 @ 6000
Horsepower - 121
0-60 - 9.6
1/4 Mile - 17.2

Honda Fit Sport 2012 with Automatic Transmission
Torque - 106 @ 4800
Horsepower - 117
0-60 - 11.4?/10.2 --consumer reports/insideline.com
1/4 Mile - 18? --seems like this should be less high even for an automatic

Not even gonna post for the Saturn SL2--On paper it's faster than both of the posted cars but I think thats all BS, once a car has that many miles it's a crap shoot.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Oh yeah, and the car I'm buying is a 2012 Sport Automatic--been trying to find someone dumb enough to let me learn to drive stick in there car for a few years.[/QUOTE]

I've got a 2012 sport AT as well now for about 2 months. It's awesome! Get rid of the stock filter out and put in a K&N filter. It feels like the engine can breath again.

When you pick up the car do an ECM idle reset procedure.

Get a Electronic Throttle Controller.

Automatics are great in town.

Some other mods I did that you can do are

JDM rear wiper blade mod

and

Shark fin antenna

Have fun with your new toy, I am!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
Oh yeah, and the car I'm buying is a 2012 Sport Automatic--been trying to find someone dumb enough to let me learn to drive stick in there car for a few years.
I've got a 2012 sport AT as well now for about 2 months. It's awesome! Get rid of the stock filter out and put in a K&N filter. It feels like the engine can breath again.

When you pick up the car do an ECM idle reset procedure.

Get a Electronic Throttle Controller.

Automatics are great in town.

Some other mods I did that you can do are

JDM rear wiper blade mod

and

Shark fin antenna

Have fun with your new toy, I am![/quote]

You are talking about the drop in filter right? I was thinking of doing that anyway.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Oh yes the drop in kind.

Getting a whole new intake system would be risking your future warranty work in my opinion.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
K&N drop ins are a bit of a waste in my honest opinion.

Yes, they are reusable and allow more air flow due to having larger pores in the filter material allowing more air (and dirt) to flow through. However, the user has to make sure that the filter is dry enough after being cleaned or risk having the oil from the "recharge"/cleaning kit drip onto the MAF sensor, causing it to give false readings.

Companies like AEM and AFE however do have reusable, dry flow filters that do not require any oiling what so ever to be used. Just wash it off, make sure its dry, and go. AFE produces reusable dry flow filters that are compatible with the factory air box, AEM only produces reusable dry flow filters on short ram and cold air intakes.

If one were to have an aftermarket intake (be it cold air, short ram, custom, etc.) and/or have an aftermarket air filter that doesn't meet the vehicle manufacture's specifications installed in a vehicle that is the verified cause of a vehicle malfunction, then the warranty on that repair can be voided. Again, the part HAS to be the CAUSE of the issue in order for the warranty to be voided in a repair that a vehicle should be covered for in the case of aftermarket parts. This is covered under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Hootie
K&N drop ins are a bit of a waste in my honest opinion.

Yes, they are reusable and allow more air flow due to having larger pores in the filter material allowing more air (and dirt) to flow through. However, the user has to make sure that the filter is dry enough after being cleaned or risk having the oil from the "recharge"/cleaning kit drip onto the MAF sensor, causing it to give false readings.

Companies like AEM and AFE however do have reusable, dry flow filters that do not require any oiling what so ever to be used. Just wash it off, make sure its dry, and go. AFE produces reusable dry flow filters that are compatible with the factory air box, AEM only produces reusable dry flow filters on short ram and cold air intakes.

If one were to have an aftermarket intake (be it cold air, short ram, custom, etc.) and/or have an aftermarket air filter that doesn't meet the vehicle manufacture's specifications installed in a vehicle that is the verified cause of a vehicle malfunction, then the warranty on that repair can be voided. Again, the part HAS to be the CAUSE of the issue in order for the warranty to be voided in a repair that a vehicle should be covered for in the case of aftermarket parts. This is covered under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.
Love the INFO! thanks!

Be aware though that up here in Canada and the rest of the world for that matter....the warranty act doesn't apply. Always remember Fit Freaks are worldwide baby!

Off to vacuum my baby.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:34 AM
I don't imagine there being any problems with a filter. This is on down the road stuff anyway--I want to get the car, break it in and probably drive it till the warranty is off before I'd even consider doing anything to it.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:43 PM
best bang for the buck power for the fit sport for passing power?
Use Shell V power gas and paddle shifters are your friend.

too bad the Canadian fit sport doesn't have the paddle shifters, that's why I drive a US model fit sport

Old 05-20-2012, 03:40 PM
The brand or type of gas used will have NO effect on power production. The Fit is designed to use 87 octane fuel. No benefit will come from using a higher octane. Using a quality brand is wise, as is going to a station that has newer tanks and pumps. The tanks will have less sediment in them, and the newer pumps will have the best possible filtration abilities.

A good drop-in air filter will free up a small amount of power. Not much, but it's one of the few things you can do that won't have any negative effects. I'm going to be looking into the AFE drop-in myself. I hadn't heard of that brand until this thread, and it interests me! Thanks, Hootie!

The L15A is a very efficient motor as it is. Any increases in power with minor bolt-ons are going to be minimal. If you allow for too much airflow, especially in the exhaust/header, you may see your powerband pushed into the upper RPM limits, even more than it is now (I've noticed that my Fit doesn't really come alive until about 4k RPM) If you want good response, putting the powerband up over 5k RPM is not a great thing to do, unless you're prepared to rev the crap out of your engine every time you want to go somewhere fast!
Proper maintenance, a good tune up (a pain in the ass with the spark plugs being practically inaccessible!), and carrying as little excess weight as possible will give you the most passing power.
Larger, wider wheels may actually make you a bit slower, as you'll be adding unsprung weight and rolling resistance. I had 16x7 Konig Torque wheels on my car for a short time (until I broke one), and I noticed that while the car felt more stable, it had a "zippier" feel with the skinny stock 15" steelies on it. I'm back to steelies, and staying there.

As said above learning your car is the best option of all. Our little engines aren't going to produce much power without SERIOUS modification, so being aware of your environment and your car's capabilities will work to your advantage. Downshift to a lower gear (for those with manuals, or at least paddles) to get your RPM up over 4000. That seems to be where the Fit makes enough power to get out of its own way.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Outboard Adidas or Nikes... Sorry guys, couldn't keep it in...

Old 05-20-2012, 04:07 PM
[quote=deevergote;1100956]The brand or type of gas used will have NO effect on power production. The Fit is designed to use 87 octane fuel. No benefit will come from using a higher octane. Using a quality brand is wise, as is going to a station that has newer tanks and pumps. The tanks will have less sediment in them, and the newer pumps will have the best possible filtration abilities.

are you kidding me????? he's looking for some extra passing power, obviously anytime you use a HIGH octane fuel that is 100% gas no ethanol your engine will run better and produce more power.
Shell V power gas is 100% gas from oil, no ethanol crap, you will notice power increases on the highway and increased fuel economy guaranteed,.
It will be noticeable especially on the highway.
FOr those who haven't tried it, I suggest you do.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by canuck901
are you kidding me????? he's looking for some extra passing power, obviously anytime you use a HIGH octane fuel that is 100% gas no ethanol your engine will run better and produce more power.
Shell V power gas is 100% gas from oil, no ethanol crap, you will notice power increases on the highway and increased fuel economy guaranteed,.
It will be noticeable especially on the highway.
FOr those who haven't tried it, I suggest you do.
Oh let's not start this argument...

Old 05-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jamy
Oh let's not start this argument...
yes, lets not, you're one of those guys that probably thinkgs the 5MT gets better mileage then the 5AT too eh?

anyways, i know a lot about engines, and basic performance and I have owned 11 fits from 2009-2012 and definitely notice the difference in premium gas on the highway for the fit, but each to their own.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:29 PM
I won't argue. I said my bit, you said yours. People can believe whatever they wish. I won't resort to tossing around insults based on uneducated assumptions.

I would be very interested to see a dyno test that supports either your claim or mine, though.

Quick Reply: Looking for some passing power--bolt ons?