2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Spacers needed, but which one????

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Spacers needed, but which one????

I recently installed swift sport springs, along with rota circuit 10 45et 16x7 and 205/50/16 tires, which spacers do you recommend to make look the rear wheels flushed, without any rubbing issues.

Tnanks

Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by melv0
I recently installed swift sport springs, along with rota circuit 10 45et 16x7 and 205/50/16 tires, which spacers do you recommend to make look the rear wheels flushed, without any rubbing issues.

Tnanks

We recommend not exceeding 3 mm, or 1/8", spacers.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
10mm bolt on spacers will make the rear look perfect

something like this:
Name:  IMG_8927a.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  92.2 KB

they are way easier to install compared to the spacers without the studs built in

Old 05-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by jookybanana

something like this:

they are way easier to install compared to the spacers without the studs built in
Cool!!! Thanks for the info!!! brand? where did you get em????

Old 05-12-2012, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member

something like this:

What brand do you recommend?

Old 05-12-2012, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
wants to space the wheels out for that flush look but doesn't want to rub

Old 05-13-2012, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
get ichiba

Old 05-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
wants to space the wheels out for that flush look but doesn't want to rub

Thanks for your great contribution way to go kid

Old 05-14-2012, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
ichiba is ok, as long as you check the bolts every so often, also dont overtighten, the ichiba's use a normal nut to hold the adapters in, which may strip and you will have to destroy the spacer and possibly the oem studs in order to get them out

but project KIC's which i think is better quality, uses a flush nut to mount the adapter on, and KIc's includes 2 special sockets that has 4 little nubs sticking out of it, but even with KIC's, torque it to spec, don't overtighten

Old 05-14-2012, 06:51 PM

something like this:

I've seen these a million times before and for some reason, these scare the crap out of me just looking at them. Please educate me, my fear may be totally unfounded. The spacer is held on the stock studs with those little ring things, I get it, how thick are those rings? 8-10mm?

So the wheels you're going to use with these will have to have space behind the face for the stock lugs to go into right? In other words the back of the wheel face can't be flat because the original studs the spacer is attached to will hit the face?

Are 10mm slip on spacers possible with extended studs? Would seem a hell of a lot safer. Maybe I don't know anything.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I've seen these a million times before and for some reason, these scare the crap out of me just looking at them. Please educate me, my fear may be totally unfounded. The spacer is held on the stock studs with those little ring things, I get it, how thick are those rings? 8-10mm?

So the wheels you're going to use with these will have to have space behind the face for the stock lugs to go into right? In other words the back of the wheel face can't be flat because the original studs the spacer is attached to will hit the face?

Are 10mm slip on spacers possible with extended studs? Would seem a hell of a lot safer. Maybe I don't know anything.
yes, the little nuts are what holds the spacer to the stock studs and yes the wheel choice while running adapters will be limited and your correct the wheel hub/disk cannot be flat, it must have a gap/holes/void to clear the stock studs,

and as for safety, i think it is safe, thats after i understand it more and after using them for 6 years, at first i thought it was unsafe too, but it after its torqued to spec, its not moving anywhere, also our Fits don't produce much hp to make these fall off, if i'm running a 600hp supra then i would probably not use any spacers at all

also i can't stress enough about reputable brands, if anyone is planning on buying spacers, do not get no-name ebay ones, make sure you buy project kics or something similar in quality, cause ebay ones will strip and your spacers will be on your car forever (one of my biggest fears), or studs may break and wheels may fall off

Old 05-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Wink

yes, the little nuts are what holds the spacer to the stock studs and yes the wheel choice while running adapters will be limited and your correct the wheel hub/disk cannot be flat, it must have a gap/holes/void to clear the stock studs,

and as for safety, i think it is safe, thats after i understand it more and after using them for 6 years, at first i thought it was unsafe too, but it after its torqued to spec, its not moving anywhere, also our Fits don't produce much hp to make these fall off, if i'm running a 600hp supra then i would probably not use any spacers at all

also i can't stress enough about reputable brands, if anyone is planning on buying spacers, do not get no-name ebay ones, make sure you buy project kics or something similar in quality, cause ebay ones will strip and your spacers will be on your car forever (one of my biggest fears), or studs may break and wheels may fall off
Thanks a lot for the info

Old 05-15-2012, 02:03 PM
I would be worried about force side to side shearing those little bolts with any club racing tire or semi-slick, not acceleration forces.

Thank you for your input though, it's good to know you've been driving on them for 6 yrs with no problems. Street application only or any time on track?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I would be worried about force side to side shearing those little bolts with any club racing tire or semi-slick, not acceleration forces.

Thank you for your input though, it's good to know you've been driving on them for 6 yrs with no problems. Street application only or any time on track?
i have had the Kics adapters on my yaris for 4 years, mostly street driving, i auto-x 3 times, and they seem fine, i checked them after each event, cause at the time i was afraid something might happen, but they seem tight still, and then i have them on my fit for the last 2 years and still on there, and i still check them every 4-6 months, just to make sure nothing is loose or seized

Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Wanderer, I think those going for a look of having the wheel even with the fender or with a bit of poke are not the types that actually drive their cars so they will not see loads placed on them really. I would never in my life use spacers or exceed much greater offset from the stock offset as it is just asking for problems with bearings failing prematurely. I don't get the whole hellaundriveable and slammed to oblivion look, but to each their own.

Good luck OP on the route you take to achieve your goal.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Wanderer, I think those going for a look of having the wheel even with the fender or with a bit of poke are not the types that actually drive their cars so they will not see loads placed on them really. I would never in my life use spacers or exceed much greater offset from the stock offset as it is just asking for problems with bearings failing prematurely. I don't get the whole hellaundriveable and slammed to oblivion look, but to each their own.

Good luck OP on the route you take to achieve your goal.
spacers are not just for looks, i have friends that run spoon sw388 that need to run spacers to clear spoon monoblock calipers and they do track racing and auto-x, and they never seen any problems

Old 05-19-2012, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
From today at the circuit...

Name:  b6f50a4b.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  432.3 KB

Old 05-20-2012, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
looks like some cheap spacers

Old 05-20-2012, 03:50 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
and your correct the wheel hub/disk cannot be flat, it must have a gap/holes/void to clear the stock studs
It doesn't have to, you can just cut the stock studs shorter.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
It doesn't have to, you can just cut the stock studs shorter.
yes, i was going to suggest that, but going that route means you can't go back to stock, unless you install new stock studs