2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Microgard Cabin Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Microgard Cabin Filter

Found a Cabin Filter at Orielly Auto Parts for only $9.99!! Initially thought the price was a typo.

Brand: Microgard - Part Number 3752

The local stores do not have them is stock but I called and ordered one and they will have it by Tuesday. First tried to order online but for whatever reason, store pickup was not an option and shipping was an additional $9.97.

On a related note, yesterday was the first time I checked this filter (2010 with 43K). I'm usually on top of the maintenance stuff but I'm just not accustomed to cars with cabin filters. Anyway, the cabin filter was very, very dirty. Don't know how any air was able to pass thru. Now thinking that this dirty filter "may" have caused the blower motor resistor to fail (blower fan only works on high speed). Will be ordering a new resistor today and will see what happens.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:18 PM
they all have the blower motor resistor issue

Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
i see around the same price on ebay, or maybe a buck or two more on amazon for a tyc filter, so no big whoop?

Question is if people really are getting value by paying full OEM prices for cabin filters. It's not really that complex a part, and not like Honda somehow has secret patents on air filtration...

Old 05-07-2012, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
Another good source that I've used for my GE8, (and daughter's GD3) is Logical-Source. I know other forum members have used these guys as well.
Headlights, Taillights, Signal Lights and Mirrors for Less

Old 05-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Midori
they all have the blower motor resistor issue
Midori.. not exactly sure what you mean by this???.

Are you implying that the blower motor resistor fails on most ("all"?) 2nd generation FITS??

Old 05-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by raytseng
i see around the same price on ebay, or maybe a buck or two more on amazon for a tyc filter, so no big whoop?

Question is if people really are getting value by paying full OEM prices for cabin filters. It's not really that complex a part, and not like Honda somehow has secret patents on air filtration...
I didn't initially check ebay but at Orielly a WIX goes for $31.99 and an STP at Autozone is also priced at $31.99. Imagine the OEM filter is about the same price. Don't know why anyone would ever pay that price, or anything close to it, for a freakin cabin filter.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by valk97
I didn't initially check ebay but at Orielly a WIX goes for $31.99 and an STP at Autozone is also priced at $31.99. Imagine the OEM filter is about the same price. Don't know why anyone would ever pay that price, or anything close to it, for a freakin cabin filter.
quart of mobil1 synthetic motor oil can also run you $9 on the website, or even sticker priced at $12+ in-store (over MSRP).

Auto parts stores have huge markups, since it's a need-based pricing where prices don't matter since you need your car fixed ASAP otherwise it sits broken down in your garage.

It pays to shop around so you can get the economics back into competitive market-driven prices.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
I was once quoted over $70 from a dealer for a cabin air filter, but hey, that included installation.

These are not complicated pieces of filtering media. On the other hand, it's pretty obvious after 15k they actually do catch stuff! When I got the above dealer quote, and knowing I drive over 25k/yr, I've considered making my own, but I've always found something reasonably priced on ebay or amazon. Last time I think I got 2 shipped for under $20, but I may be thinking of the engine air filter.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:09 AM
Got mine at Amazon for $13 with TYC brand, 5 minute installation.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:10 PM
we charge 59.99 for A/C micron filters, the filter itself is 26 bucks i think

Old 05-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by PhitAzz
Got mine at Amazon for $13 with TYC brand, 5 minute installation.
Ditto. TYC 800125P is the one to get. You do need to cut 4 pieces of glue to have it fit properly in the filter holder, but otherwise is well worth the money. I usually order this and Purolator PL14610 oil filters at the same time to save an additional trip in town. Now if I could only order bulk oil from Amazon at a "reasonable" price and I wouldn't have to deal with the dillweeds at Super Hillbilly World!

Old 05-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Everyone says cut 4 corners to fit properly, I installed it without mods...what am I missing here?

Old 05-08-2012, 04:41 PM
On the three I've replaced, the strips of glue holding the filter in the "W" shape will restrict the "V" sections on both sides of the filter from properly fitting in the the filter frame. Maybe I'm having bad luck with the glue on the TYC filters...

Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mhadden
On the three I've replaced, the strips of glue holding the filter in the "W" shape will restrict the "V" sections on both sides of the filter from properly fitting in the the filter frame. Maybe I'm having bad luck with the glue on the TYC filters...
no you are right.

The right description is the plastic rib over the pleats (not the corners). Need to cut through it on the last pleat so the "tab" within the frame can nestle into the pleat.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Found a Cabin Filter at Orielly Auto Parts for only $9.99!! Initially thought the price was a typo.

The local stores do not have them is stock but I called and ordered one and they will have it by Tuesday. First tried to order online but for whatever reason, store pickup was not an option and shipping was an additional $9.97.
update.... Picked up the Microgard Filter from Orielly's yesterday. I'm not quite sure what kind of filter was in the box but it certainly was not a cabin filter for the Fit so I returned it. The box looked liked it had been around the block a few times, taped shut and kind of beat up. They asked if I wanted to order another.. I said no thanks as I don't want to chance another wasted trip. Now going to find one on Ebay.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
$13 on Amazon...

Replacing improves airflow (and cooling/heating as a result) besides smelling better.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by PhitAzz
Everyone says cut 4 corners to fit properly, I installed it without mods...what am I missing here?
If you didn't have to cut the plastic ribs on the pleats I'm wondering it you, by chance, installed the filter TYC filter upside down? (with arrows pointing up instead of down) Have no idea if it makes that much of a difference though.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:53 PM

On a related note, yesterday was the first time I checked this filter (2010 with 43K). I'm usually on top of the maintenance stuff but I'm just not accustomed to cars with cabin filters. Anyway, the cabin filter was very, very dirty. Don't know how any air was able to pass thru. Now thinking that this dirty filter "may" have caused the blower motor resistor to fail (blower fan only works on high speed). Will be ordering a new resistor today and will see what happens.
Blower motor resistor failure happens in many cars, not just the Fit. It's where the fan only works on high speed. I'm older and have had many cars and trucks and it happened to me in my Chevy and friends I've worked with, it happened to a couple of them also. It's a common failure.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by david223
Blower motor resistor failure happens in many cars, not just the Fit. It's where the fan only works on high speed. I'm older and have had many cars and trucks and it happened to me in my Chevy and friends I've worked with, it happened to a couple of them also. It's a common failure.
Up until now, I have never experienced such a failure on any of the cars I have owned over the last 40 years.

And, as far as the FIT is concerned, this is not just a simple resistor failure.

The resistors are failing because the blower motors are defective. See Service Bulletin 09-097 which applies to all 2009 and 2010 Fits as well as many 2011 models.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/alldata.php#/year=2010/makeid=24/modelid=3913/engineid=4000/

If you replace just the resistor (w/o replacing the motor) the resistor may fail again within just a few days.

And, for the icing in the cake, the new blower motors (which cost $160 to over $200 each) are the same part numbers of the blower motor that are being replaced, so we really don't know if the "new" replacement motors are defective as well.

Guessing a dealer may charge over $500 to fix this (parts and labor), if out of warranty.

I can only wonder why this issue was not resolved by Honda when it was first identified on 2009 FIT models several years ago?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for this link.
Dealer wanted $129 to replace the cabin filter. outrage.

BTW, how difficult to replace the cabin filter? how much time? TIA

Originally Posted by Steve244
$13 on Amazon...

Replacing improves airflow (and cooling/heating as a result) besides smelling better.

Quick Reply: Microgard Cabin Filter