2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Auto folding side mirrors - circuit help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Auto folding side mirrors - circuit help

OK, seeing as this is a massive forum, I have a problem someone might be able to help me with .

I have Honda Power folding mirrors which open and close at the touch of a button but would like them automated to either the ignition or door locks. Thinking about it, i'd prefer central locking activation so I had a look around the web and found many folks with many different cars ALL of whom want something similar - but very few actual circuit diagrams of how to make one.

So after trawling around, I managed to cobble together what I think will work from others having done this but I think it's wrong so would appreciate someone correcting me/it.

What I have
I'll start with what I have:

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES 2010
No Alarm
Central locking via key or remote fob
Power fold mirrors that work via button press only as long as acc/ignition is on.
The manual switch simply reverses the polarity of the feed to the side mirror motors (allowing them to fold/unfold)

What I want

Despite being powered off, I want the door mirros to fold/unfold with door lock/unlock (which is why I need perm +ve plumbed in somewhere, not just acc +ve).
I still want the existing button to work if I ever wanted to do it manually still

What I think might work

I think the blue wire is grey in real life but wouldn't show up in the piccie so I've changed it.

I need a relay to replicate the polarity switch of the manual button and then some form of control over the relay from the central locking.
Hopefully it's wired so that when the relay is at rest the mirrors are in, when the relay is energized the contacts reverse the polarity of the feed to the motors and the mirrors go out.

So when the mirrors are in, the car is parked and the relay doesn't draw any current, when the mirrors are out the relay is energized and draws a small current (but as the engine is likely to be running thats not a problem)

The feed from the central locking is at 12v when the car is unlocked. This goes to the base of the first transistor via a protection diode and turns on the transistor which switches on the second transistor and energizes the relay (the mirrors go out).
When the car is locked the feed from the central locking is at 0v, this turns off the first transistor which turns off the second transistor so the relay coil gets no current. This means the relay switches drop back up to "normal" and reverses the polarity of the feed to the motors so the mirrors come in.

When the ignition switch is in "acc" the feed from the mirror switch plug is at 12v in one position and 0v in the other.
By feeding this to the base of the second transistor, the manual switch takes control of it by feeding 12v to it's base thus turning it on, or grounding it's base thus turning it off (regardless of what the central locking is feeding into it).

Hopefully this means that when you unlock the car the central locking has control and opens the mirrors, when you turn on the ignition 12v is fed from the manual switch to the second transistor thus taking control of the circuit away from the central locking.

Only when you stop the car and switch the ignition off does the central locking take control again.
So when you lock the car the mirrors come in and when the ignition is on you have full manual control so you can bring the mirrors in manually.

I think there should be an additional diode at the beginning of the white 12v perm +ve wire as potentially there might be a low impedance path there when the ignition is off (which means central locking loses "control" of the relay)???

From the circuit I've seen, the other diodes are there to "protect" the transistors they feed into.

I'm not too sure if this will work or do what I want it to do at all, so was hoping someone with better electronics understanding than me can point me in the right direction?

Cheers.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:36 AM
5 Year Member
I have no idea if it would work. We do not have the power folding mirrors in N.A. so you may not get a response.

I have passed your message on to a friend who was electrical engineer for his comments. See if I get an answer.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
I have trouble changing batteries in a flashlight so I end up bumping into furniture and walls when going to the bathroom late at night.. I have to bailout on this topic.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I have trouble changing batteries in a flashlight so I end up bumping into furniture and walls when going to the bathroom late at night.. I have to bailout on this topic.

Wily, she not got you Depends yet? Saves the shins from those middle of the night forays.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
If I need to go real bad I hang it out the bedroom window which is right next to the bed... I can't do that when the wind is out of the north though.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member
OP

My friends reply

This is an incomplete reply but as far as I got .

Tried to look up the transistor part numbers and struck out .

In general this is not something that is easily answerable from the information given ..

Tony

ps yes the task is possible but would need to look at the components in the car that you are interfacing with .

Old 05-02-2012, 05:50 AM
5 Year Member
@ Tony: Thank you very much for finding out , I'll see if I can post up piccies of the side folding mirrors and one of the central locking from the owners manual.

The part numbers are from the Maplin catalogue (our version of radioshack I suppose).

EDIT:
Here are the relevant pictures:

Stock Central Locking

Stock Wing Mirror

The feed for the central locking goes to 12V when the car is unlocked and 0V when locked so that is "tapped off" to supply control to the realy coil.
The grey and yellow (or in diagrams view, blue and yellow) wires will be fed into the mirror fold switch (in parallel I was thinking but thinking about it, may work better in series with that button).

My plan is to simply integrate the above circuit into the existing wing mirror and central locking circuits shown above as easily as possible (I think I'll only need to get to the wiring harness for the drivers side door for it to work)...

Last edited by Gaffer; 05-02-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Any update on this ,i too wanted this feature as seen in here Jazz Auto Folding Side Mirror + Door Handle Light - YouTube

Old 02-12-2013, 06:44 AM
J71
Sorry somebody did this nice update?