2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Moving Concerns ! Driving Cross Country Soon !

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Moving Concerns ! Driving Cross Country Soon !

I plan on bringing my clothes , twin size foam mattress , and imac 27'

Do you guys think the rear or front suspension will get squirrely on me ?

How much worse can the mileage be affected ?

I don't think the weight will be over the recommended max weight of 650lbs...

Opinions guys ???

Old 04-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by linnboi
I plan on bringing my clothes , twin size foam mattress , and imac 27'

Do you guys think the rear or front suspension will get squirrely on me ?

How much worse can the mileage be affected ?

I don't think the weight will be over the recommended max weight of 650lbs...

Opinions guys ???
Are you putting the mattress on the roof or is it one that you can roll up and throw in the back? If it's on the roof your gas mileage will be affected somewhat because of the added drag.

The weight won't be a problem at all. When my wife and I go on trips I think she packs about 50 lbs of shoes alone plus our luggage (usually 2 large sized suitcases, extra few carryon type bags and a gym bag, all totally full) and the car doesn't' care much at all. Maybe lose 1mpg or so due to added weight. Extra weight in the back actually makes the car more stable on the highway from my experience.

Where are you going?

Old 04-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Are you putting the mattress on the roof or is it one that you can roll up and throw in the back? If it's on the roof your gas mileage will be affected somewhat because of the added drag.

The weight won't be a problem at all. When my wife and I go on trips I think she packs about 50 lbs of shoes alone plus our luggage (usually 2 large sized suitcases, extra few carryon type bags and a gym bag, all totally full) and the car doesn't' care much at all. Maybe lose 1mpg or so due to added weight. Extra weight in the back actually makes the car more stable on the highway from my experience.

Where are you going?
i'm folding the foam mattress , maybe 5 lawn garbage bags of clothes lol ! , 27" imac , grocery bags of stuff ... not sure of the weight . just want to be safe about loading the fit FULL of stuff ... i think the limit is 650lbs for the fit ?

i'm goin to new jersey .

Old 04-26-2012, 04:46 PM
i'm folding the foam mattress , maybe 5 lawn garbage bags of clothes lol ! , 27" imac , grocery bags of stuff ... not sure of the weight . just want to be safe about loading the fit FULL of stuff ... i think the limit is 650lbs for the fit ?

i'm goin to new jersey .
Well that's quite a change from Chino haha.

You'll be fine, don't worry.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:00 PM
HAHA ! i lived in new jersey for about 10 years. i recently came to chino for about 3.5 months. job isn't as expected. goin back to try a different angle. maybe come back to cali later .. haha

Old 04-26-2012, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
650 is less then the 4 passengers. so don't worry too much about it.

As far as getting squirelly, well just realize you're carrying more weight and don't drive so close to the limit (stay in slower lane, give more space for braking, turn slower).

MPG also shouldn't be something that concerns you. Even if it's a couple more bucks for gas, what are your alternatives? ship it?

I guess my advice is the mattress seems like a bulky item that takes up a lot of space for it's dollarvalue. Unless you intend to use it on the way or are invested heavily into it, maybe just dump/craigslist it, and get a new one at your new destination.

Then again, if you have the space, just take it.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by raytseng
650 is less then the 4 passengers. so don't worry too much about it.

As far as getting squirelly, well just realize you're carrying more weight and don't drive so close to the limit (stay in slower lane, give more space for braking, turn slower).

MPG also shouldn't be something that concerns you. Even if it's a couple more bucks for gas, what are your alternatives? ship it?

I guess my advice is the mattress seems like a bulky item that takes up a lot of space for it's dollarvalue. Unless you intend to use it on the way or are invested heavily into it, maybe just dump/craigslist it, and get a new one at your new destination.

Then again, if you have the space, just take it.
i'm gonna double check the weight capacity...wierd that it's only 650...my mattress folds pretty well being foam i should be ok...just tend to overthink things... it will be pretty loaded tho... i will drive in the middle lane mostly ... i feel that's the safest lane , slow lane gets a lot of merging traffic ... mpg's should be fine .. maybe a few less per gallon .. no biggie .. i dont want to spend the money on another foam mattress ... think i spent like 350-400 on the best foam twin from ikea lol

Old 04-26-2012, 06:54 PM
i will drive in the middle lane mostly ... i feel that's the safest lane , slow lane gets a lot of merging traffic ...
I would think there's not a whole lot of middle lane to be found between CA and NJ? Never been west to east coast before, but would assume mostly 2 way undivided highway through most of it.

I'm going to have to do it for fun myself now. At least to Chicago (hometown).

Good luck with your trip, and sorry things didn't work out in Chino.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
Good tires with lots of thread, non-leaking radiator and good brake pads... All fluid levels of course... Check!

Chances are you'll be taking Interstate 10. You should be fine... Good luck!

Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Just watch your braking distance. That's about all I'd worry about from the sound of what you are trying to do. The rear trailing arm suspension design does not have major camber changes when loaded up like the front end would. I've had the rear tire on the stock suspension majorly tucked when my car was loaded up with flooring, and it drove better than expected. Just take it easy and realize you are hauling stuff.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Arrow Just some old reading material

Hey OP, here's some old threads that you might find interesting to read:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...ly-hauled.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...r-so-good.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...tml#post987040

Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 PM
You'll be fine. I regularly pack my FIT full of a couple hundred pounds of racing gear, AND pull a small Kart trailer. As said, braking distance should be your biggest concern; just give yourself some extra space.

Highway MPG will drop a little, but not a lot. You should be able to get 30mpg highway at < 70mph on non-hill terrain.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 PM
i will drive in the middle lane mostly ... i feel that's the safest lane , slow lane gets a lot of merging traffic
That is a good strategy for driving through the cities where there are
more than 2 lanes as long as you are not impeding traffic. Outside the
cities I'd be sticking to the right most lane.

Good luck!

Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 PM
weight capacity is 850

should be fine.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member

i'm goin to new jersey .

I know the weight liit overall is 650 lb but subtract driver and passenger weights to get actual weight limit.'Based on personal experience you really need air-lifts, Monroe or Gabriel to haul 200+ lb in the rear. Consult older posts for photos and kudos.
It will barely affect mpg unless you use rooftop carrier.

You're moving to NJ; never mind, nothing works out there anyway.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:50 AM
i'll be fine ... 850 lbs is the limit ... stock height is good

Old 05-01-2012, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
The load limit including driver, passengers and cargo is 850lbs iirc. You'll be fine. I went west from Chicago to Seattle. Got my best gas mileage ever of 41mpg and I have been averaging 24mpg for the life of my car. So if my shitty mileage can get high, so can yours. The added weight will affect your braking, but nothing unusual, it's just like carrying a bunch of people with you--provide a little extra room between you and the vehicle in front of you. I don't know what route you're taking but regardless, 95% of the trip will be 4 lane or 2 lane. 6 laners are only near major cities and only for a few miles.

Good luck. Be safe.