2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Wind Noise

My car is a 2011 Fit Sport 5sp.

I've got 34,000ish miles, mostly highway averaging 37.4 mpg.

I honestly feel that my hearing is getting worse due to the wind/road noise from this car. I'm thinking about trading it in on a 2012 civic HF.

Any thoughts, ideas, opinions?

-Barry-

Old 04-15-2012, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
I think that is an absolutely ludicrous statement to make.

Do you not remember what cars from the 90's/early 00's sounded like? THEY WERE LOUDER THAN THIS.

If you honestly think that a Honda Fit is causing you hearing loss, your man card should've been revoked years ago.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
LoL @ JBHandJr

Old 04-15-2012, 01:27 PM
2009 Honda Fit Sport Full Test on Inside Line

Sound level @ idle (dB) 42.0
@ Full throttle (dB) 78.0
@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 70.4
Noise and Deafness, Decidels and the new deafness-inducers— iPods, MP3s by Dr Godofredo Stuart / (IX) InformationXchange

The safe limit of noise-exposure has been set at 85 dB for 8 hours a day. And according to NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) an increase of 3 dB cuts safe exposure time in half.
34,000 miles equates to about 500 hours, giver or take. That's maybe 2-3 hours a day of 70ish db sound. There's some evidence that 24 hour a day of 70ish db sound can slowly cause hearing damage, but that's situations of living next to an interstate.

Assuming you aren't either at redline while driving or blasting your music, its not your car.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:50 PM
I was just trying to make a general statement that this car is VERY loud on the inside. Driving as much as I do, it seems to make a difference. I didn't blast the Fit, I'm actually quite happy with it. I merely stated I "believe" it has effected my hearing.

I have noticed it is difficult to carry a phone conversation at highway speeds.

Back to the original question now that I've provided today's entertainment for a few of you, will I notice a difference with a 2012 Civic or will the wind noise (which doesn't effect some of you but does me) be the same?

-Barry-

Old 04-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Try a luxury car like a Mercedes or Lexus. That'll be nice and quiet.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by JBHandJr

I have noticed it is difficult to carry a phone conversation at highway speeds.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:27 PM
I was just trying to make a general statement that this car is VERY loud on the inside. Driving as much as I do, it seems to make a difference. I didn't blast the Fit, I'm actually quite happy with it. I merely stated I "believe" it has effected my hearing.
This is science, not some goofy "believe" crap. And the science says that the fit isn't loud enough to damage hearing.

Yes, the fit is loud when driving. It wouldn't be my pick for long distances. That doesn't change the fact that you aren't damaging your ears.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Every Honda I've been in has been "loud." Embrace the road noise and feel one with the car/road.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:21 PM
I was under the assumption that we as Men enjoyed loud cars.

P2R Honda Fit BSpec Practice - YouTube

This is what you should be looking for^^^

Old 04-15-2012, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
I have speaker phone conversations in my Fit almost every day and have never had any complaints.

Unless I was on the interstate in third gear, I don't see how I could have any problems.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
I have a combat related hearing loss an tinnitus.. Wind noise in my Fit was very annoying to me and made the ringing in my ears worse.. I found that putting some tape on Mugen style vent visors on it made it less bothersome... Now exhaust and road noise is all I have to contend with.. I feel like my whole body is resonating after a few hours on the highway..

Old 04-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I have a combat related hearing loss an tinnitus.. Wind noise in my Fit was very annoying to me and made the ringing in my ears worse.. I found that putting some tape on Mugen style vent visors on it made it less bothersome... Now exhaust and road noise is all I have to contend with.. I feel like my whole body is resonating after a few hours on the highway..
You might want to sound deaden you car then.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:31 PM
I am in a very similar situation but didn't feel the need to explain my hearing loss. Perhaps I just need to "MAN UP" like everyone else is saying.

I have the OEM vent visors.

I understand that the max decibel may not be that high but perhaps it is a certain tonal that is causing the irritation.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Life is too short to drive a car that you don't enjoy. But with that said, why on earth would anyone buy a 2012 Honda Civic? It's not even recommended by Consumer Reports. Mazda 3 or Hyundai Elantra scored higher in their tests.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
I am in a very similar situation but didn't feel the need to explain my hearing loss. Perhaps I just need to "MAN UP" like everyone else is saying.

I have the OEM vent visors.

I understand that the max decibel may not be that high but perhaps it is a certain tonal that is causing the irritation.
Your original complaint made no mention of specific frequency irritation. You simply stated you thought the wind noise of your Fit was damaging your hearing.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
I found that putting some tape on Mugen style vent visors on it made it less bothersome...
That's weird because I think wind noise got louder with my visors.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by krunk13
You might want to sound deaden you car then.
Just putting a more restrictive muffler would do the trick but then if I did I couldn't do 0 to 60 in under 7 seconds.... It's not as bad with my hearing aids in place but not turned on or foam rubber ear plugs..

Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
I'll be the dissident voice...

Yes, go trade in your Fit.

Time to go off on a tirade...

If you can't stand the road noise... trade it in!

Don't like the 4k RPM while going 80 mph, trade it in!

If you don't like the height of the car, and wish it were low like a Lamborghini, trade it in.

Or if you think the car is too small and wish to challenge people driving GMC Yukons... trade it in.

Maybe you can't stand getting 35-40 MPG while going 65-70 MPH on the highway while being able to drive across the country and sleep in the car at rest area. Or being able to pass other drivers in torrential rain...

PLEASE, for the love of god... or whatever freaking deity you believe in.

TRADE IT IN!!!

If it pisses you off enough to bitch about it... do something about it.

Trade it, put sound deadening material, get different tires... play some freaking music.

Man, if I weren't already in a bad mood... this nonsense is plenty to put me there.

/end tirade

On many side notes... I have total one-side deafness (my left ear is useless). And my remaining right ear, does, on occasion cause me to suffer tinnitus. Unfortunately, I am unable to correlate it to any possible cause. It can come when in a noisy environment... or a quiet one. But more often than not, if I'm listening to music, I typically won't suffer from it, or at the very least... the music can distract my attention.

I put on the OEM visors... cabin noise increased when comparing closed windows. Cabin noise decreased when comparing cracked open windows (1-2" opening).

Tex, would splitting the exhaust into two large pipes help? By that, I mean, can you get two pipes to have mufflers that can lower the noise, but overall allow enough exhaust flow to not be any more restrictive than the current set up?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I'll be the dissident voice...

Yes, go trade in your Fit.

Time to go off on a tirade...

If you can't stand the road noise... trade it in!

Don't like the 4k RPM while going 80 mph, trade it in!

If you don't like the height of the car, and wish it were low like a Lamborghini, trade it in.

Or if you think the car is too small and wish to challenge people driving GMC Yukons... trade it in.

Maybe you can't stand getting 35-40 MPG while going 65-70 MPH on the highway while being able to drive across the country and sleep in the car at rest area. Or being able to pass other drivers in torrential rain...

PLEASE, for the love of god... or whatever freaking deity you believe in.

TRADE IT IN!!!

If it pisses you off enough to bitch about it... do something about it.

Trade it, put sound deadening material, get different tires... play some freaking music.

Man, if I weren't already in a bad mood... this nonsense is plenty to put me there.

/end tirade

On many side notes... I have total one-side deafness (my left ear is useless). And my remaining right ear, does, on occasion cause me to suffer tinnitus. Unfortunately, I am unable to correlate it to any possible cause. It can come when in a noisy environment... or a quiet one. But more often than not, if I'm listening to music, I typically won't suffer from it, or at the very least... the music can distract my attention.

I put on the OEM visors... cabin noise increased when comparing closed windows. Cabin noise decreased when comparing cracked open windows (1-2" opening).

Tex, would splitting the exhaust into two large pipes help? By that, I mean, can you get two pipes to have mufflers that can lower the noise, but overall allow enough exhaust flow to not be any more restrictive than the current set up?
YES.

TBH, I don't understand this guy.

I have a base GD with 5MT and a Spoon N1 (IE: One of the loudest exhausts for a Fit), and yet when cruising at 65 mph in 5th I don't even notice any outside sounds with my stereo turned to 12 out of 40.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise