2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

22.8mpg On My New 2012 Honda Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:12 PM
22.8mpg On My New 2012 Honda Fit Sport

Hello all! To briefly introduce myself, my name is Steve and I live with my wife and kids in sunny SoCal. I traded in my vert mini-cooper for the 2012 Honda Fit Sport as my daily driver. My wife drives the Nissan Armada Platinum and my race car is a Shelby GT500KR with 750hp.

I am not a stranger to cars, airplanes, boats, and performance.

Love my Fit! Really nice car that fits my needs perfectly as a daily driver.

However, I'm seeing an average mpg of 22.8 using just the onboard computer. I have decided to do my own calculations to check the accuracy of that onboard computer.

Reading the forum threads on mpg that others are getting, I'm not even close at 22.8. I understand throttle application and bought this car mostly for it's good ratings in mpg. I have been particular in playing the mpg game on gentle acceleration.

The car is an automatic.

I have reviewed, as I stated, other threads on mpg experiences. But haven't seen anyone nearly as low as myself.

Is there anyone out there that has had this low mpg experience?

Thanks! Looks like a great forum here with a lot of dedicated enthusiasts!

Steve

Old 04-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by elcapitan
Hello all! To briefly introduce myself, my name is Steve and I live with my wife and kids in sunny SoCal. I traded in my vert mini-cooper for the 2012 Honda Fit Sport as my daily driver. My wife drives the Nissan Armada Platinum and my race car is a Shelby GT500KR with 750hp.

I am not a stranger to cars, airplanes, boats, and performance.

Love my Fit! Really nice car that fits my needs perfectly as a daily driver.

However, I'm seeing an average mpg of 22.8 using just the onboard computer. I have decided to do my own calculations to check the accuracy of that onboard computer.

Reading the forum threads on mpg that others are getting, I'm not even close at 22.8. I understand throttle application and bought this car mostly for it's good ratings in mpg. I have been particular in playing the mpg game on gentle acceleration.

The car is an automatic.

I have reviewed, as I stated, other threads on mpg experiences. But haven't seen anyone nearly as low as myself.

Is there anyone out there that has had this low mpg experience?

Thanks! Looks like a great forum here with a lot of dedicated enthusiasts!

Steve
Whats your normal day to day commute like in your Fit? Speed,terrain, and traffic.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:23 PM
if you drive it aggressively you won't see 30mpg.
also try and use good petrol,shell V power gas, ethanol fuels evaporate quick

Old 04-14-2012, 01:28 PM
The Fit is used mostly to go to and from work. This is 80% highway during light traffic times. Otherwise, car is used for kids stuff and local errands. Car will get about 10k per year in driving. Maybe a little less.

Locally, traffic is light to medium. Usual amount of stop lights. Somewhat hilly where I live, but not excessive.

Regardless of these parameters, 22.8 using the onboard computer seems very low. I would expect to see 30mpg with these parameters. I think the car is advertised at 31-35mpg.

Thoughts?

Old 04-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Not an aggressive driver in the Fit. I save that for the Shelby. Wife is a little of a lead foot. But I'm in the Fit game for the mpg. I have been experimenting with the paddle shifters quite a bit. Seems if you shift at 2000rpm, you get an extra block on the instantaneous mpg indicator. Again, depending on it's accuracy.

Thanks very much for the prompt replies! Always good to be involved in a forum with active and welcoming members!

Steve

Old 04-14-2012, 01:34 PM
on my 2012 fit sport, normal driving, I have 190 miles on 1/2 a tank, and it's just above the red indicator on 1/2 a tank.
the onboard display is a guideline, i doubt it's accurrate, i would suggest filling up your tank and calculating your mpg manually for a more accurate reading.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Also, I used 87 octane gas from the big companies, which IMHO provides a standard and reliable limitation of ethanol. Be it shell, mobil, or chevron.

Thanks again!

Old 04-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Try getting up to the speed limit and then looking at the instant mpg readout and try to keep it close to 40. Speeding, heavy braking, and accelerating on hills will kill your millage. Also try to take your time when accelerating from a stop.

P.S. When fueling never add more after the first click. My mpg readout is 99% accurate when i compare the fits readout with my calculations at the pump.

Last edited by krunk13; 04-14-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:37 PM
thats pretty low... when i bang on my Fit i still get around 26-28mpg

maybe your driving with the hand brake engaged hahaha j/k

Old 04-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Yes. Am now doing my own manual calculations. Car has 500 miles on it now. So I started the manual calculation on third tankful of gas. I'll let everyone know what the true numbers are.

Car is stock.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Also if after your manual calculations you find that the computer is way off your honda dealer can re calibrate it for you.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Lol on the hand brake. Stranger things have happened! If you shift with the paddle shifters at 2k rpm, you have no choice but to be super gentle on acceleration. The car will auto downshift when using the paddle shifters if you aren't.

I'm hoping for experience of owners, in numbers, of mpg. As FIT-tles Worth posted. Those are real numbers. With terrain, traffic, etc.....and gentle driving, I would expect 30mpg.

If my manual calculations show the same low mpg, there is a problem.

Coming here, I'm hoping for anyone having these same low numbers.

Thanks!

Steve

Old 04-14-2012, 01:47 PM
The lowest ive heard of before you was 28mpg. Im getting 33-35mpg city.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Reset the trip computer and it will reset your average mpg computer. Go to trip and hold down on the button until it goes to zero, the trip will now be reset as well.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by krunk13
The lowest ive heard of before you was 28mpg. Im getting 33-35mpg city.
Same here. From what I've read on the forum, 28mpg or so is more agressive driving.

Originally Posted by '12Fit
Reset the trip computer and it will reset your average mpg computer. Go to trip and hold down on the button until it goes to zero, the trip will now be reset as well.
Good tip.

I was driving a 2011 Fit rental. The average mpg wasn't recalculating as usual. The trip meter on the rental hadn't been reset for a bit. I reset it and it went back to doing it's thing.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by elcapitan
Not an aggressive driver in the Fit. I save that for the Shelby. Wife is a little of a lead foot. But I'm in the Fit game for the mpg. I have been experimenting with the paddle shifters quite a bit. Seems if you shift at 2000rpm, you get an extra block on the instantaneous mpg indicator. Again, depending on it's accuracy.

Thanks very much for the prompt replies! Always good to be involved in a forum with active and welcoming members!

Steve
If you are accelerating, 2000 rpm is way too early to be shifting. You might increase your instant mpg, but you'll cost yourself way more because you take too long to get to your cruising speed. Very gentile isn't always the way to best mpg.

That said, 23 mpg is pretty low even for bad conditions. I drive basically worst conditions (exclusively short trips, all city/suburban stoplight and stop signs, very heavy foot) and get 28ish.

As mentioned, reset the computer display and also calculate everything manually at the pump. Its possible your car got a few test drives and long idles at the dealership that got the computer with a really low average. reseting the calculation will clear that out.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:50 PM
I got 26 mpg on my first tank with my 2012 Sport Fit. I wrote it off to new engine break in and driving it aggressively and it was all hilly city driving.

With my 2nd tank I got 30 mpg I feel by driving with more attention to my driving and being easier on acceleration.

However, I'm still not achieving the high number that other have been reporting, my high being 34 mpg and my average being 31 mpg with 1600 mi. on the odometer.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Did reset the trip computer to zero on this last tank fill to do my own calcs. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Engine break-in could be a factor. I am going to get oil changed at 1000 miles. If I don't see a dramatic improvement by 2000 miles, there is something wrong.

Good feedback all! Thanks again!

Steve

Old 04-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Dont change the oil early. Your engine needs the moly in that break in oil.

Quick Reply: 22.8mpg On My New 2012 Honda Fit Sport