2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

22.8mpg On My New 2012 Honda Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by elcapitan
On the 30mpg fill up tank, I left it in automatic. Let the computer do the shifting with normal accelerations.
If you were using the paddle shifters and depending where you were shifting, this may have been the reason for the poor gas mileage?

Great to read you're up to 30 mpg!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Also is the issue of the first oil change. I have always changed the oil at 1000 miles on my car. Dealership says no. Don't do it until the light comes on. Don't know what it's set at....probably 3k?

There are no additives in the oil from the factory on a new car. To me it makes sense to change the oil at 1k, to get rid of the metal shavings. And letting the car run for the duration of the first oil change in my mind only means there are shavings in their for the duration, unnecessarily creating internal engine wear.
Likely around 10k. There is a special molybdenum additive in the factory fill. And my understanding is that honda runs the motors themselves at the factory to do the initial break in with the metal shaving coming out and such.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Was short shifting, using the paddle shifters, two days. Maybe a total of 80 miles. I do think that at this point on engine break in, it's not the right thing to do. Driving the car normally, or going to the extreme and redlining it for a fee days, is probably more appropriate to get the rings seated.

Later....if I want to experiment with this, it might be a worthy effort. But not now

Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
40 MPG with no break in

I picked my car up with 10.2 miles on it. I drove it home like I had 16 sleeping babies in the back and got 40.7mpg. I doubt the dealer did any break-in procedures and I certainly did not do any myself.

I would think that Honda does some break in at the factory itself. I know all cars are started and tested briefly before they leave the factory. I would be surprised if they let the cars ship without revving them up to at least 3k. Every show I have seen that shows vehicles being built in a factory shows some person hopping in/on and doing a 60mph test on a rolling road. I'm sure Honda doesn't do a 6k thrashing, but it is probably 90% as good in the long run. IMO we are all worrying about nothing.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Was short shifting, using the paddle shifters, two days. Maybe a total of 80 miles. I do think that at this point on engine break in, it's not the right thing to do. Driving the car normally, or going to the extreme and redlining it for a fee days, is probably more appropriate to get the rings seated.

Later....if I want to experiment with this, it might be a worthy effort. But not now
It's too late for that.. the cams, rings and bores will have been worn in under the loads you've already put on them.

So there won't be any experimenting later on.

You may be able to play with putting the ECU through learn mode, but thats about it. Theres more than one way to do that as well.

If you can get it to continually try to advance timing towards the knock threshold and lean out you'll be in better shape.

A few days of intermittan WOT blasts can help in that regard.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
Likely around 10k. There is a special molybdenum additive in the factory fill. And my understanding is that honda runs the motors themselves at the factory to do the initial break in with the metal shaving coming out and such.
They do get fired up initially, and the opriginal moly fill is so-so compared to other break in oils/additives. Not exactly special.

The rings and skirts are coated as well, but you still need to work 'em out.

The algorithm the MM uses is not based on mileage turned over or everyone would just refer to a sheet table in the FSM.

It is going to use a load/hours/fuel equation. Other Major OEs do this as well.

Severe duty fleets also base the oil interval off of fuel consumption in stead of mileage because it is directly related to how much blow-by and contamination the crank case will receive.
If you want an idea of how motors are broken in at the factory read up on cam break in procedures.

Which is what I described on the previous page. Vary the load and rpm, never let it idle on a new cam until its been at operating temp for 20-30 minutes.

This is not a mystery.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 05-04-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:31 PM
This thread makes me sad

1st tank the dashboard shows 28 mpg average.
2nd tank the dashboard shows 28.4 mpg average .
3rd tank the dashboard shows 25.4 mpg average .

I know it's still in the break in stage, but comparing to my previous 07 camry, the Fit's mileage sucks. I do 80% City 20% Freeway. 2012 Fit Sport automatic; I don't use my paddles. No mods. All fill ups have been Shell 87 octane gas. I just drive it normally, staying at the speed limit, doing full stops.

I think the main culprit is spending 20 minutes looking for a parking spot 4 days a week, and a very steep hill to get to/from my house.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy
This thread makes me sad

1st tank the dashboard shows 28 mpg average.
2nd tank the dashboard shows 28.4 mpg average .
3rd tank the dashboard shows 25.4 mpg average .

I know it's still in the break in stage, but comparing to my previous 07 camry, the Fit's mileage sucks. I do 80% City 20% Freeway. 2012 Fit Sport automatic; I don't use my paddles. No mods. All fill ups have been Shell 87 octane gas. I just drive it normally, staying at the speed limit, doing full stops.

I think the main culprit is spending 20 minutes looking for a parking spot 4 days a week, and a very steep hill to get to/from my house.
Bolded your definite causes, and underlined a potential cause. This last one depends on more variables than I currently care to get into.

See what you can do about the rest, and then experiment with fuels using as many controls as possible.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
After driving my almost new Fit Sport AT home odometer showed 140 miles, odometer showed 24mpg, figured I would fill it up and see how accurate the odometer mpg figure is. 5 gals calculated is 28mpg, but on thinking about it and reading this thread, one fillup doesn't really answer anything, too many variables, on a 10 gallon tank technique of filling could be off by .5 - l gal or 5 - 10 percent. so next tankful at about a 1/4 tank using the same pump with the same fill speed and letting the fuel pump auto shutoff might smooth out the numbers over maybe 5 or 10 fillups.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:27 PM
I own a 2011 fit sport m/t.The car has 21,120 miles on it now.Oil changed every 5,000 miles.Always Honda 0w-20 with Honda filter.Switched to Honda full synthetic at last oil change and also changed trans oil using Honda m/t trans oil.Very worst mileage is 32.5 mpg and very best is 53.6mpg.I check mileage EVERY fillup.MPG computer is usually within 3mpg accuracy,sometimes it's within a tenth or so.The 53.6 mpg tank was using straight gas(reg.no ethanol)69mph interstate driving with about a 15-20 mile per hour tailwind. I have tried to get car below the 30mpg mark by driving 85-90 mph on the interstate(don't worry have Valentine One detector) running AC etc.Can't make it happen.I do drive mostly conservatively ,5th gear around town at 35mph etc.My interstate driving is once a week,approx.300 miles round trip.Speed limit is 75 and I mostly do 70ish.There are a couple of hills with the typical slow moving truck lanes.The car pulls all hills in 5th gear with out a problem.When going one way(east) I transport semi truck parts for my business.Things such as truck windshields(no kidding!) cargo straps,misc.items approx.300-maybe 500 lbs.of cargo.Bottom line is if you want to geet the best mileage out of your Fit it needs a manual transmission.The best way to neuter a small car with a small engine it to put an automatic transmission in it.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by rybow53
I own a 2011 fit sport m/t.The car has 21,120 miles on it now.Oil changed every 5,000 miles.Always Honda 0w-20 with Honda filter.Switched to Honda full synthetic at last oil change and also changed trans oil using Honda m/t trans oil.Very worst mileage is 32.5 mpg and very best is 53.6mpg.I check mileage EVERY fillup.MPG computer is usually within 3mpg accuracy,sometimes it's within a tenth or so.The 53.6 mpg tank was using straight gas(reg.no ethanol)69mph interstate driving with about a 15-20 mile per hour tailwind. I have tried to get car below the 30mpg mark by driving 85-90 mph on the interstate(don't worry have Valentine One detector) running AC etc.Can't make it happen.I do drive mostly conservatively ,5th gear around town at 35mph etc.My interstate driving is once a week,approx.300 miles round trip.Speed limit is 75 and I mostly do 70ish.There are a couple of hills with the typical slow moving truck lanes.The car pulls all hills in 5th gear with out a problem.When going one way(east) I transport semi truck parts for my business.Things such as truck windshields(no kidding!) cargo straps,misc.items approx.300-maybe 500 lbs.of cargo.Bottom line is if you want to geet the best mileage out of your Fit it needs a manual transmission.The best way to neuter a small car with a small engine it to put an automatic transmission in it.
Same! I can't get my car below 34mpg. My worst was 34mpg with aggressive city driving.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:15 PM
I know I asked this already in a different thread (not much answers), but how accurate is the mpg gauge on the dashboard compared to hand calculations?

Past few post above says from 3mpg to a 10th of a gallon.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Yeah it seems like the people who chose the AT kinda screwed themselves. Less MPG, slower acceleration, and they paid more. I'm averaging 33mpg city easy.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
I do drive mostly conservatively ,5th gear around town at 35mph
That's crawling. Seriously, around here which is suburban town not city, you'd be rolled over at those speeds. I think if a poll was taken for the high mileage club, it would mostly show conservative drivers- code for very slow drivers- getting higher mileage. Personally, I can't force others to get in line for the sake of my quest for a few miles more. I'm not saying this is what YOU do, but this is common more and more. It's especially common with the gas guzzling car crowd, where they bought a huge pig of a vehicle and now drive it around at a crawl to try and stretch 18mpg to 20- at the expense of the rest of us who were wise and responsible enough not to have bought the huge pig of a gas guzzler in the first place. My three month old 2012 Fit mpg is climbing, now up to 29 mpgs. I don't make people pull their hair out while I crawl around. I keep up with traffic and do the speed limits, not under them. And still my Fit is delivering respectable results and getting better. It's not all about yourself and your needs. You share the road. Drive people, drive.

Rant off.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by krunk13
Yeah it seems like the people who chose the AT kinda screwed themselves. Less MPG, slower acceleration, and they paid more. I'm averaging 33mpg city easy.
i'm averaging 32mpg in the city with my A/T, i don't do much highway driving and my city driving is all stop and go. So with 32mpg i'm pretty happy with what i'm getting considering i'm used to a Jeep that got 15mpg in the city...and i got this Fit for a hell of a price. (I do wish this Fit was M/T at times, not for "racing" but more for the driving feel)

Old 05-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Yeah but my 33mpg is with 205's, up and down hills, and with stop and go traffic. The MT just seem to have more personality

Old 05-05-2012, 04:59 PM
yeah we don't have many hills out here, it's pretty flat so i see where you're coming from. I got this in A/T because...well...it was used and i didn't have much of a choice. The wife was the one who really wanted it because of the A/T, she was sick of driving a standard in stop and go traffic. I have my Civic that's an M/T and i get my fix on the weekends when i take it out through the twisties...although this Fit takes corners WAY better than my Civic does.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Guage finally went up to the normal 28 mpg after driving on i5 for an hour.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy
Guage finally went up to the normal 28 mpg after driving on i5 for an hour.
That still seems stupid low. My prelude SH got around that much on the highway and it was a 2.2L with 200hp.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:17 PM
You don't buy a 750hp shelby worrying about mpg. Nor an Armada, which was bought for the tow capacity as both kids are into motocross which requires for all their gear a trailer. Not to mention the boat! Greattow capacity at 8500 pounds! Now the Fit? Yes, I'm in it for the mpg. But don't regret the other purchases!

Quick Reply: 22.8mpg On My New 2012 Honda Fit Sport