2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

22.8mpg On My New 2012 Honda Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by elcapitan

Zilla, sorry you had to trade in your mustang.
Haha It's all good I've had a lot of fun over the years with my Hotrods.

I'm one of those guys that can have fun driving just about anything.I push the Fit in the canyons just like the Mustang and have a blast.

I even turn VSA off and get jiggy with it

Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Just filled the Fit up. 24.79mpg. Maybe it's still a break in thing. But at this point, very disappointed. I'll let it run another tank full. If results don't go up dramatically, I'm going to have to go down the path of dealing with the dealership. Which I don't want to do.

IMHO, this mileage is low, regardless of break in. I bought the Fit over the prious for the mpg. Cost to own, reference edmunds.com, shows both the same over 5 years. So I went with the Fit. You either pay more for the prius to begin with, or pay more for the lower mpg with the Fit. At the five year point, they are the same....unless gas goes through the roof....which it could....at which point the prious would come out far ahead in savings.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Just filled the Fit up. 24.79mpg. Maybe it's still a break in thing. But at this point, very disappointed. I'll let it run another tank full. If results don't go up dramatically, I'm going to have to go down the path of dealing with the dealership. Which I don't want to do.

IMHO, this mileage is low, regardless of break in. I bought the Fit over the prious for the mpg. Cost to own, reference edmunds.com, shows both the same over 5 years. So I went with the Fit. You either pay more for the prius to begin with, or pay more for the lower mpg with the Fit. At the five year point, they are the same....unless gas goes through the roof....which it could....at which point the prious would come out far ahead in savings.
I tend to agree with you now since it's been over a tank with this type of poor mileage. My first tank wasn't as bad as your to begin with and my second tank improved from there.

A phone call to the dealership couldn't hurt though I can imagine you may have a lot of explaining to do and they will be suspect of your driving habits etc.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
I agree with GTRPLYR. That mileage seems very low. Did you hand calculate?

My lowest mpg of 31 was the off the lot full tank. Last two fill ups have been 36 mpg each. I'm consistently around 35 mpg. I have about 7,300 miles on the clock.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
same boat as elcapitan

My avg is 25.9 using the ultraguage and the onboard

so I decided to use Fuelly.com:

out of 5 fill ups my avg is 24.9 with my lowers tank registering at 22.6 (not sure how the hell that happened).

I've been trolling the Pruis forum websites to see if a rsb and some lowering springs helps the car a bit as I am leaning towards trading in the fit. Love the car but for the mileage I'd rather drive something a bit bigger....

Old 04-26-2012, 09:38 PM
I would do what 2012FitFan suggest and calculate your mileage based on your elapsed miles traveled and recorded fuel consumption (if you haven’t already,) just to make sure that your mpg gauge is correct. If you are going to complain to the dealer then you want them dead to rights.

The absolute worst mileage that I have on my 2012 AT sport is 30.3 mpg in about 4200 total miles. And that was at my first refueling at 260 miles. The lowest since then is 30.9 mpg in heavy stop-and-go traffic. I usually average 32-33 mpg.

The most extreme MPG situation that I have ever encountered is driving up 4-5 levels of a parking garage. In this situation my mileage usually drops to about 23 mpg, and it never seems to go over 25-26 mpg coasting downhill to the exit. Since I am using the car to lift its mass about 80-100 feet I do not see how I could get worse than this.

So if your Fit averages less than 25 mpg then it obviously has something wrong with it. Take it back to the dealer. They will probably try to blame you, but you are lucky in that you can easily reproduce the problem.

If what you are saying is correct then there is no way that they can weasel their way out of fixing your car. If they try to blame your driving habits then let them drive it for a while. Just be sure to record your mileage and amount of fuel (take a picture of your gauges) before you drop it off.

Good luck.

Last edited by BobEllis; 04-26-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Added spaces to improve readability
Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member

Are you still shifting at 2k rpm?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
I'm somewhat surprised by some of these low 20 mpg posts. Maybe some of this is driving conditions or style?

I use the instant mileage meter a lot. Keeping it close to 40 is a game that kills time in traffic.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2012FitFan
I'm somewhat surprised by some of these low 20 mpg posts. Maybe some of this is driving conditions or style?

I use the instant mileage meter a lot. Keeping it close to 40 is a game that kills time in traffic.
I'd say mostly style.

I find that, short of bumper to bumper traffic (with psycho/assholes that sqeeze in front of you if they have a chance)... you can usually adjust your style to keep a decent MPG.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I'd say mostly style.

I find that, short of bumper to bumper traffic (with psycho/assholes that sqeeze in front of you if they have a chance)... you can usually adjust your style to keep a decent MPG.
Haha! That about sums up your typical rush hour driver.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
I think someone is siphoning the OP's gas.

It isn't me though.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:44 AM
Did calcs by hand.

No, am not shifting at 2k anymore. I'm letting it be an automatic. I'm not convinced that shifting at 2k is wrong, gearing or not. But shifting at 2k as I was previously, was to set world records...lol....which I do still believe it is better to shift at this low rpm. The instantaneous gauge, provided it is somewhat accurate, backs that up.

But anyway, shifting aside, because at this point, I'm not trying to set any world records of mpg on a Fit. Just letting it be an automatic.

I am a gentle driver. Ya'll will just have to trust me on this one. Am 52 years old and have been a professional pilot for 29 years. I'm pretty sure I've got the driving thing down for what is smooth and what is jerky and what is aggressive.

Santiad, I'm dismayed that you are having the same results. Very disappointed to hear that ANYONE is having these same results. Getting a dealer, much less Honda, to step up and say their car isn't even close to their advertised mpg of 31-35, is going to be tough. They will have to take the car for a week and drive it. Then I don't know if I trust them to tell me the truth of their results.

I like the look of the Fit. And have owned a few Honda's in the past with zero worries. They are great cars.

But the biggest reason I got into the Fit was for the mpg. A basic airport car that I take to and from the airport and it sits. Results to date are extremely disappointing.

I put the center console in today (started a thread on that). lol....it would be my luck I've just put about 200 bucks into a possible, "lemon".

I never even thought I could dream to put Honda and lemon in the same sentence. But this gas mileage has me concerned.

Thanks a million everyone. Nice forum here. Want to stay and contribute!

Steve

Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 AM
Still have under 1,000 miles here and the last tank averaged 37mpg city.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
ugh, idk what's up with mine either. my last tank four tanks have been 25.2, 27.5, 27.8, and 24.5 (hand calculated, within .2 of the computer) with 3700 miles on it as of yesterday. this is with the diy intake done also, and my old fit averaged 29 without trying and the same intake on. it's a bit frustrating to be getting such low numbers in the fit, especially since im lucky if i can break 250 miles to a tank. im thinking in my case it could be the 17s on it, since they're so freakin heavy, especially since the fit doesnt have much power. any other input?

Old 04-27-2012, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FittedOnEm
ugh, idk what's up with mine either. my last tank four tanks have been 25.2, 27.5, 27.8, and 24.5 (hand calculated, within .2 of the computer) with 3700 miles on it as of yesterday. this is with the diy intake done also, and my old fit averaged 29 without trying and the same intake on. it's a bit frustrating to be getting such low numbers in the fit, especially since im lucky if i can break 250 miles to a tank. im thinking in my case it could be the 17s on it, since they're so freakin heavy, especially since the fit doesnt have much power. any other input?
Well, do you still have your OEM wheels/tires? Toss em back on and see if the MPG changes.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Well, do you still have your OEM wheels/tires? Toss em back on and see if the MPG changes.
I bought the car with the 17's on it, so I don't have any stocks The best tank I've gotten was 32mpg, so I know there isn't something wrong with the car. I just keep reading of much higher mpg ratings on people who do just about, if not more, city driving than I do. I'm easy on the throttle, and whenever I have it in sport I shift at the suggested speeds in the owners manual (15, 25, 40, 47 under normal acceleration, if i'm accelerating a bit slower i adjust accordingly. at those speeds it's usually at about 3-3.5k rpm). My current tank is sitting at 26.5 (@ 1/2 a tank)and i've been using the paddle shifters since I filled it.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
What is the point of shifting at those speeds and acceleration?

Sport mode is usually more useful for REVing up to redline... you are shifting pretty close to where I expect the AT would in D mode.

How often are you changing/varying speeds between lights?

edit: heavier wheels have an inertial benefit when cruising. In stop and go, lighter wheels are better. But the only way to confirm that on your Fit is to find a lighter set and see what kind of MPG you get.

Last edited by Goobers; 04-27-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
I don't like the decisions the automatic makes sometimes when I'm accelerating, so I just do it myself. Plus I prefer already being in 2nd / 3rd going into a turn instead of having the downshift lag in the middle of the turn when it's in D. Anyways, I go a consistent 45 between lights, the Fit seems to get the best mileage there according to the MPG bar thing. Another thing I've noticed is my MPG plummets whenever I have short commutes (less than 2 miles) which is usually every morning and sometimes throughout the day. Could that have something to do with it as well?

Old 04-27-2012, 02:47 AM
My two cents: your mileage has improved about 2mpg compared to your initial post 2 weeks ago. The car is rated 27 city/33 hwy. At just about 25mpg, you are not that far off. Our 2011 Sport is at about 26.9 mpg, almost all city driving, also in CA. We have seen improvement with every tank fill. Ours is about 2000 miles now. Be patient. Also, the Fit will never get anywhere near the mpg of a Prius, or even a Mini. Our 2010 Mini S auto got consistently 30mph around town and close to 38 hwy.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
Yup, the more accelerating and braking you have to do with heavy wheels the worse off.

Quick Reply: 22.8mpg On My New 2012 Honda Fit Sport