2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Scratched gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
The protection film used on new cars ( Honda ) is electrostatic film ? No ?

Old 05-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Mission Accomplished

Thanks, everyone.

For my own peace of mind, once I was bolstered by your encouragements and sure I was going to go for it, I paid the $10 to techinfo.honda.com to view their instructions (the formerly-free information linked to in previous Cluster Lens threads). The 'interactive' (animated) graphic was very helpful for this newbie, showing the locations of the clips (which you can't see before you get the cover off, but it gives you an accurate sense of what needs to happen). I also appreciated the clear look at the mirror connector, its clip, and where to press to disengage it.

Almost most helpful is that the graphic included the sound of the clips disengaging-- that would have taken me by surprise (and way concerned me) if I hadn't been ready for it, the loud THUP-thup-THUP as they popped out. It also gave me a better sense of the relative force needed to disengage the clips.

Some screenshots:

~~~~~~~~~~~

Not only is the plastic lens very easy to scratch, it is very, very brittle-- an unfortunate combination. I didn't take my replacement lens out of the covering plastic until I was ready to put it on and rushed to install it (I didn't want it smudged or with dust behind it). I wrongly assumed that its scratching so easily indicated a certain degree of (soft) flexibility. Not so. It is thin, easily-snapped stuff. In my haste to put it in place, I put too much pressure on one of the top 'clips' (one-piece lipped extensions) and it cracked at its base. Argh! Fortunately, the lens itself is on solidly, but it's still disappointing. Cheap stuff, this.

I wasn't sure how to make sure all the hood clips were truly re-seated when putting it back on. I lined it up as best I could, then pressed all over the thing with all my might and main, wedging myself against other surfaces for added leverage. Nothing seems loose anywhere or rattles, so I think we're good to go.

Thanks again!

~ S.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Nice animation, thanks for putting the time in to assemble it!

Old 05-26-2014, 11:06 PM
So it's about $18 plus shipping for the lens? I may have to replace down the road, unless the plasti-x spray works decent for light scratches? I see that it worked for some members and not for other members. For now, I'm going to have to deal with these scratches. I never knew how sensitive the lens are to just paper towels. Thanks for the DIY!

Old 05-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by alpine
So it's about $18 plus shipping for the lens? I may have to replace down the road, unless the plasti-x spray works decent for light scratches? I see that it worked for some members and not for other members. For now, I'm going to have to deal with these scratches. I never knew how sensitive the lens are to just paper towels. Thanks for the DIY!
It's normally $18, that's correct!

Old 05-28-2014, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
Subscribed! Need to redo mine too